Do women really have more normal looking special interests?

Page 6 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 7:38 pm

Some of my early special interests were the Presidents (I’m in the U.S.) and the obituaries in the newspaper. Being raised Catholic, I also really got into the lives of the saints. Oh, and I would read the dictionary and the encyclopedia for fun.

I always did and still do have a ridiculous aptitude for retaining trivia (and sharing it with people, whether they’re interested or not).

I don’t know that I have any unusual special interests these days. All of mine are just standard-issue geeky stuff. I do sometimes fall down Wikipedia black holes, though.

I’ve also always had an affinity with animals, but that’s not really unusual in the circles I run in.

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2019, 10:11 pm

My childhood special interests would be normal now but they used to not be. Zoology, botany, and biology are common interests for adults but not for young children. I got made fun of in first grade for liking plants and knowing what they were called.

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2019, 10:58 am

My "normal" special interests:
- People (I am obsessed with at least one public figure at all times)
- Psychology
- Comedy (I am absolutely obsessed with things that make me laugh. Sometimes I'll remember a funny line from a show and will want to tattoo it on my body because I love it so much)
- Certain shows (I will watch my favourite shows over and over and over again)
- I record my life somewhat obsessively in multiple diaries; each in a different format, including video. (I think the interest itself is normal, but the degree to which I do it is probably abnormal)
- I collect unusual shirts with unique patterns and colour combinations (can't tell if this is normal or not)

My "abnormal" special interests:
- I collect stickers and washi tapes (I'm 28, so although this is a girly interest, I don't think it would be considered normal at my age)
- I collect different flavours of green tea

- In the past I was obsessed with Geisha culture and the era of women having bound feet in China (I don't know whether or not this would be considered abnormal... I was 16 at the time)

Can't think of any more at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 3:55 pm

I can’t help but to think that if an NT woman who is an adult likes stuffed animals and stickers they view it as “oh that’s normal because lots of women like that” yet if a woman on the spectrum like stuff like that NTs view it as “she likes childlike stuff due to her disability”. This is based on the knowledge I have and my experiences.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 4:25 pm

Define "normal"

Define "special interest"

Representative sample

Measure

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2019, 5:05 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I can’t help but to think that if an NT woman who is an adult likes stuffed animals and stickers they view it as “oh that’s normal because lots of women like that” yet if a woman on the spectrum like stuff like that NTs view it as “she likes childlike stuff due to her disability”. This is based on the knowledge I have and my experiences.

I see your point and I definitely think there is a truth in this sentiment, however, in my personal experience, if a woman in her mid-late 20s shares with her colleagues or acquaintances or even family members that she still likes stickers and stuffed animals, they would definitely think it's an odd quality, regardless of whether she has AD or not. I doubt they would call it "normal".

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 11:40 am

My special interests:

Retaining random trivia (especially if science-related)
Science
Psychology
Video games (especially Mario Kart)
Autism/ASD
Pets (mainly cats and dogs since I have them)

...that's all that I could count.
Do any of them seem unusual for a girl my age?

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 6:20 pm

treefiddy wrote:
xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:

I see your point and I definitely think there is a truth in this sentiment, however, in my personal experience, if a woman in her mid-late 20s shares with her colleagues or acquaintances or even family members that she still likes stickers and stuffed animals, they would definitely think it's an odd quality, regardless of whether she has AD or not. I doubt they would call it "normal".

I don't think something being abnormal or less popular is the thing that makes it a 'special interest'
I think it's about perseveration and obsession on a very specific topic very much to the point it can hinder you in life

I think obsession and OCD can often overlap with ASD as with my brother
He is also a genius though, with a genius' IQ and understanding. It's not a bad trait necessarily but I'm guessing that's just something to be aware of for NTs so they make a point of saying it's a special interest not just an interest or hobby. Because I know I'm preoccupied with certain topics to the point it
Same with my two autistic son's
The elder is obsessed with farm animals and baby Einstein and even in that only a few specific parts again and again. Like 10 seconds repeated again and again. And nothing else.
and not in a light way but like ALWAYS he cannot go 5 minutes without a video or book about animals literally cannot you have to see him without that to see what happens
He used to be obsessed with food but not actually eating it (he rarely eats or drinks hence g tube) just pictures of food

The younger has always been obsessed with vehicles and again not in a normal way but to the point that nothing else will get his attention and it also blocks out other things

It's very encompassing and maybe that's why they say special interest, to distinguish it

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 6:34 pm

Childhood special interests:
Sesame Street and The Muppet Show (I was obsessed with the humans Jim Henson and Jon Stone)
Climbing anything, especially to seek privacy (attics)
Hiding in small places or making forts
Collecting coins and arranging them by year, value, size, etc.
Elton John, as a person and a musician

Adolescent / Adult interests:
19th Century British Literature (Romantic and Victorian)
Charlotte and Emily Brontë (bio, criticism) -- I read about 40 books a year on this topic
Ancestry and Genealogy
Knitting and needlework
Simon and Garfunkel, especially Art - with whom I'm in love :P

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 6:43 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Childhood special interests:
Sesame Street and The Muppet Show (I was obsessed with the humans Jim Henson and Jon Stone)
Climbing anything, especially to seek privacy (attics)
Hiding in small places or making forts
Collecting coins and arranging them by year, value, size, etc.
Elton John, as a person and a musician

Adolescent / Adult interests:
19th Century British Literature (Romantic and Victorian)
Charlotte and Emily Brontë (bio, criticism) -- I read about 40 books a year on this topic
Ancestry and Genealogy
Knitting and needlework
Simon and Garfunkel, especially Art - with whom I'm in love :P

19th century literature has been a special interest of mine since adolescence, too. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2019, 6:31 pm

My special interests were always animal related in some way another and always viewed as "weird".

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 1:31 pm

Childhood special interest:
1.Dogs
2.Fashion
3.Japan
4.Music
5.Sailor Moon
6. Dragonball Z
7. Androids
8. Stuffed animals
9. Barbie
10. My Little Pony
11. Pound Puppies
12. Pokemon

Adulthood:
1. Fashion
2. Makeup
3. Collecting stuffed animals
4. Music
5. Snakes
6. Coloring
7. Hair and makeup makeovers and tutorials
8.Girly video games

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2019, 7:30 pm

Like mentioned in another thread, nature, animals, and art seem to be popular.

I have the above interests, but they are narrowed down further. Moss gardens, native species, specific Japanese character designers, for example. I don't ever find myself talking about these things with people, haha. I was not the horse girl, not the Warriors book series girl, I was the insect girl.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 8:04 pm

Hmm... when I was a kid I was obsessed with Barbies, fashion, paper dolls, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, boy bands, Spice Girls, and drawing. I'd say those were pretty "normal" I guess. Oddly enough as I've gotten older I was less and less interested in traditionally girly things and it's stayed true for me as an adult.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2019, 8:53 am

My special interests include film, animals, art, Star Trek, cryptozoology, dinosaurs. Some of the stuff is more or less gender neutral. I guess other people have special interests like that. Some of the stuff I'm into, other people in my circle aren't really into. I remember when I was younger and I began to first love dinos, someone commented how it's unusual for a female to like. xD

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 8:22 pm

DemophobicKlingon wrote:
My special interests include film, animals, art, Star Trek, cryptozoology, dinosaurs. Some of the stuff is more or less gender neutral. I guess other people have special interests like that. Some of the stuff I'm into, other people in my circle aren't really into. I remember when I was younger and I began to first love dinos, someone commented how it's unusual for a female to like. xD

I'm with you on Star Trek and cryptozoology! I used to have this excellent dinosaur book in my early 20s that included descriptions about different dinosaurs and dinosaur-themed jokes! I loved it! I wish I knew what happened to it. I've moved so much since then.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits