Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 1:41 pm

I have really been thinking hard about my future and having children, and have determined having them biologically isn't really ethical, given they are probably 50-75% likely to have disabilities due to my partner's and my medical history. It's not that autistic children aren't amazing people, but I would never want to bring a child into the world enduring the ableism I had. I wouldn't be able to deal with the guilt. I still have to discuss this all with my partner, but am scared to at this time. Is the best option usually going on longer term birth control like the implant or the IUD or just being sterilized? I recently had my insurance switched and my generic birth control is causing unnecessary bleeding. I just wish I could get rid of periods and know that the implant or IUD can cause long term bleeding as well, and that would be my luck. I've asked NT people about this, but they don't really have enough info on the situation to offer good advice. Has anyone here gone through a similar experience and when is the youngest age one can have voluntary sterilization? I know it's difficult to get for young NT women, but am unsure if disability will make it easier.

Please keep any conversations about forced sterilization out of this because that is Nazism. This is a personal choice and I do not agree with forced sterilization ever.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 1:54 pm

It's your choice, but I'd go with the IUD ...not because the idea maybe you'll change your mind, but female sterilization is a rather risky procedure that does have some potential complications, basically I don't think I would have it done but you could discuss it with a doctor and they can tell you all the risks and such so you can decide if the benefits outweigh the risks. Its not as risky for males to get a sterilization procedure done, so that could be an option as well if your husband was comfortable with it *though not really sure that is applicable if its related to period concerns. Really though its certainly something to discuss...so the both of you can determine the best way to proceed.

I have heard IUDs can actually decrease bleeding, and its more rare it would increase bleeding but there is still that chance. Might also be worth trying a different birth control, if that is an option as well.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 2:08 pm

The toughest part is that each option has risk of complications. I made an OB appointment for the 25th to discuss this. It would just be easier to get rid of periods in general and not have to worry about taking birth control at the same time every day with how busy I am between working two jobs and school. I hope that my doctor will have a good recommendation for me. I never had problems with the birth control I was on for two years until I started this generic crap.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2018, 2:01 am

The issue often is trying to convince doctors that you won't change your mind about sterilization, and that it's actually your choice. As for IUD's, the hormonal ones can make periods lighter or even stop them completely, and last up to 5 years at the longest. The copper IUD lasts the longest, but it's the one that increases bleeding and cramping. One thing about IUD's is that the insertion can be painful, like the worst cramping you've had.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 2:29 am

adoylelb90815 wrote:
The issue often is trying to convince doctors that you won't change your mind about sterilization, and that it's actually your choice. As for IUD's, the hormonal ones can make periods lighter or even stop them completely, and last up to 5 years at the longest. The copper IUD lasts the longest, but it's the one that increases bleeding and cramping. One thing about IUD's is that the insertion can be painful, like the worst cramping you've had.

I thought the increase in bleeding and cramping was temporary, is that not the case? I've thought of getting one myself but for the past year my periods have been heavy and quite crampy so I wouldn't want to make that issue worse.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 2:06 pm

I've considered this too. I really don't want kids because I can't handle the responsibility that comes with it. People have told me, "You'll change your mind", "You'd be a good mom" and "You should adopt instead". Why can't people just respect women and couples who don't want kids?

I see nothing wrong with voluntary sterilization. I really admire you saying this because now I don't feel alone. I don't want children because I'd rather spend money on myself. I'd rather buy video games, clothes and makeup and other things that I would actually enjoy than spend it all on diapers and baby food.

I got called "selfish" when I said this one time. :roll:

-Down, The Birthday Massacre