Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mendolyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2019, 8:10 pm

Was diagnosed with being on the Autism spectrum when I was 66, last month. My brain is totally re calibrating as I go through my life understand SO much of how I've been and people's reactions to me for the first time. I also feel like I'm going a bit crazy and cry at the drop of a hat.

Would love to communicate with other older women on the spectrum.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 11:54 pm

I'm 64, was diagnosed at age 61, prompted by having several family members with ASD. Happy to share a bit, how can I help?

kayell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 May 2019, 4:48 pm

I don't have a formal diagnosis, and probably won't bother getting one, but it explains SO MUCH of my life. Newbie too. I'm 62.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Mendolyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2019, 8:25 pm

As I replied to the other woman who kindly replied, as i live in a small town in northern california, have yet to come across an autism forum or group. Would love to see and take part in discussions on-line about various issues and ideas around women with an autistic brain. Do you know of any good forums or groups with on going discussions?

OR would you be interested in joining a new group of women with autistic brains, especially older ones who knew nothing about this when we were young? Posting questions and having discussions everyone can see and respond to should impulse prompt?

many thanks

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 9:59 pm

yes, 50 and newly diagnosed here.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

lkrhys
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2019, 9:59 pm

Hi. I was diagnosed last week at age 62. I'd be interested in meeting / talking with people as well.

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2019, 8:45 pm

I was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago at age 49. I know what you mean about the re-calibration! I'd be happy to communicate online.

Platyplums
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2019, 8:19 pm

Hi, I haven't been formally diagnosed and probably don't need to be but strongly suspect I'm autistic. Exactly because it does explain so much and just makes things make sense. I've always felt like people (NT people) had some sort of rule book I never saw and it just didn't make sense to me. And when I started reading things by autistic voices, it was like, okay, THIS person, I get. Educating myself has led to more self-acceptance, realizing a lot about masking (still working that out) and getting some stim toys which make me ridiculously happy :D I'm 53 and have gradually come to "identify" as autistic over the past couple years.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:30 pm

How's it going for you? I'm at the onset of diagnosis and 20 yrs younger, but am bringing along my 70-some year mother for the ride... she says HFA is obvious in me and I can say the same about her. This apple likely didn't fall far from her tree. :wink: Hope this discovery helps us smooth some of the more jagged parts of our lives, with acknowledgement and support to start...

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 9:11 am

Fifty-four (55 in November), self-diagnosed. I hesitate to seek a formal diagnosis because I don't want to jeopardize any gains I have made. I don't want to have to accept less for myself. Every time I went through counseling at school, expectations of me became lower and lower. I would seek a diagnosis only if I got real ideas on how to live a normal life. I don't want to face a "dumbed down" life curriculum.

lkrhys
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2019, 11:42 am

I'm 62 and was just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. I'd definitely be onboard with talking with others.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 4:42 am

Mendolyn wrote:
As I replied to the other woman who kindly replied, as i live in a small town in northern california, have yet to come across an autism forum or group. Would love to see and take part in discussions on-line about various issues and ideas around women with an autistic brain. Do you know of any good forums or groups with on going discussions?

OR would you be interested in joining a new group of women with autistic brains, especially older ones who knew nothing about this when we were young? Posting questions and having discussions everyone can see and respond to should impulse prompt?

many thanks

We can have these discussions right here, in the "Women's discussion" area of Wrong Planet, at least for now. A separate additional forum might eventually make sense as our community grows.

Anyhow, as noted in my current sig, below, I'm another late-diagnosed older woman.

jpp
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2019, 12:05 pm

50 next month and just diagnosed. looking for community as well.

DesertWitch
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2019, 7:25 am

I turned 50 in April. I went looking for information about Asperger's so I could understand my partner better I found myself. I got 39 on the AQ10 and 164 on the Aspie Quiz. Knowing I'm on the spectrum now, after 50 years of confusion and struggle has been.... interesting. I spent the first few weeks crying and laughing each time a peice clicked into place. My wife and I have so much more peace in our home knowing how much more alike we are than we realized. It's a journey but I really appreciate having this knowlege.

I'fd like to keep talking with you ladies. I'm also in menopause and wondering how to sort out what's being caused by being an aspie with my masks falling off daily, and what's being caused by menopause.