Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

kiwibird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2019, 5:22 pm

Hello!
After extensive research and test taking, I think that I may have Aspergers. I am a teenage female. Below is a list of why I may or may not have it. Any help is appreciated, and thanks for taking your time to read this. :D

Why I might be:
This guy was sunburned, and he was calling himself a lobster. I held back the urge to discuss blue colored lobsters.
I have always felt different, and I have even considered trying to be “normal” for a day.
I only have one really good best friend, but I have a lot of acquaintances.
My best friend was telling me one of her problems, and she got upset when I offered different possible solutions.
I write poetry.
I love animals, which is why I am vegan.
I am very empathetic.
I remember when I was little, I was either watching the show or reading a Berenstain Bears book, and in it, the cubs broke the mom’s lamp. I remember feeling really bad and upset for her.
My hair is always a mess.
I am most certainly gender nonconforming as I wear guys’ clothes.
I like to have deeper conversations versus small talk and what peers my age discuss.
I was late to talk, but I could understand words, I just did not want to talk.
As a baby, I seldom cried, even when away from my mother.
I would definitely not be considered normal.
I cannot read people’s emotions well, except when it is obvious.
I have always been unable to tell if I am annoying someone, which others tell me I do frequently.
I have had different topic of interest over the years, the most recent being kiwi birds.
I would still consider myself well rounded, though.
I cannot easily tell if someone does not like me.
For eye contact, I usually either look elsewhere, or stare at their eyes and look away when they do.
Sometimes I will say facts that others do not appreciate.
Friends and family are able to pick me out from a crowd because of my gait.
I loathe grammar mistakes.
I have a very high IQ.
I get anxiety at large events, such as concerts or parties.
My stomach will hurt and not feel better until I get home.
I never realized what it was before I started researching this subject, but if I am overthinking things in my bed, I will sort of curl up on my knees and rock.
I also play with my hands a lot.
I write poetry.
I have a differentiated taste of music compared to my peers.
I use vocabulary words that my peers do not always understand.
I will talk loudly and not realize it until someone else points out it.
I get annoyed with grammatical errors.
Most of the time I do not think that others understand me.
Emotions, in my book, are less important than facts most of the time.
I like to pick at stuff.
I am not concerned with being popular.
In grade school, after watching a movie, when the teacher would turn on the lights, my eyes would be unaffected.
I love to learn things.
I have trouble doing “normal” things, such as brushing teeth, on a daily basis.
I like being solitary.
I would usually rather work alone than in a group.
I know a lot of things about a lot of things.
I like to know why something is before I do it besides “I said so”.
I also like to have debates/discussions
I usually say “hopefully” along with “see you later” just in case.
I am open to debate/discussion about my beliefs.
I unknowingly emulate others.
I have been complimented on the “cool facts” I like to tell others.
I have tinnitus.
When somebody tells a story, I usually say a similar experience that I had. I heard that you are not supposed to do this. Are you?
When I was younger, and sometimes even now, I would keep adopting a habit of making small noises in my throat that I would then end, the habits, with my mom’s encouragement.
In one of my classes with almost all seniors(when I was a sophomore), I always had trouble talking and pairing up with groups because I do not know any of them well. I can do that stuff fine in classes with people with whom I am more familiar.
I guess that I can overshare, as evidenced by this.
Sometimes I will always talk about something. In 8th grade, I really loved the song Orange Crush by REM. I still do like it, but I would talk about it nearly every day, especially in art class.
People think that I get easily distracted. Because of this, they think that I will be a bad driver.
The one person that I thought was really like me also has Asperger’s. I felt “connected” before I knew this.
Pretty much every guy that I have dated was crazy or had a lot of problems.
I have some OCD tendencies.
I have adopted this thing where I “have” to take an even number of steps in a certain section, and I like to start with one foot and end with the other.
I like to blink an even number of times.
I have been called, and I quote, an “anal rule follower.”

Why I might not be:
I am able to talk to others and get along on a day to day basis.
I am not sure if I have ever had a “melt down.”
I can read facial expressions somewhat well sometimes.
I can understand most idioms and expressions.
I have lied.
I like a lot of different foods.
I like to talk a lot.
I make a lot of bad puns.
I do not have a lot of problems with the five senses. I attended a concert recently, and I was fine wearing earplugs. This is something that seems a lot less severe in me than other people with Aspergers, but loud noises hurt my ears.
I have been told that I am good with young and special needs children.
I only say this because of social skills needed.

Maybe?
I am kind of a hypochondriac.
When I was little, I would inspect almost all of my food before eating it.

Thanks again! :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 10:20 am

You would be better off to consult an appropriately-trained mental health professional than a bunch of strangers on a social website.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 6:12 am

Fnord wrote:
You would be better off to consult an appropriately-trained mental health professional than a bunch of strangers on a social website.

Do you know how hard it is to find someone who deals with ASDs? Heck, the first psychologist I met told me that people with stable jobs can't have "Assburjurs" and proceeded to tell me how they use their own "special" books to diagnose. I actually then had to tell HIM what the DSV IV criteria for Aspergers Sydrome and how I fit it! It took me ten solid years to find someone who deals the ASDs in adults and there is over a year wait just to get in. At this point in my life, it is literally just a formality but I digress.

OP, your best bet is to just browse the various forums (some are better than others) and see if things resonate with you. If they do, then make the attempt to find someone who specializes in Autism, although that is easier said than done. One place that might be a good start is a College or University disability services office or a local autism group: they both were immensely helpful to me. It is my experience that many so called experts have a great difficulty in recognizing ASDs in females so best of luck to you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 8:14 am

You can get a free/low cost assessment at a graduate program dealing with psychology and autism spectrum disorders.

There’s research opportunities which might even pay YOU for participating in a study by undergoing a full-throttle assessment.

Ideally, The student would administer the test. And the supervisor, a PhD psychologist, would score it and sign off on it.

You probably have to be 18, though.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2019, 7:46 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Do you know how hard it is to find someone who deals with ASDs? Heck, the first psychologist I met told me that people with stable jobs can't have "Assburjurs" and proceeded to tell me how they use their own "special" books to diagnose. I actually then had to tell HIM what the DSV IV criteria for Aspergers Sydrome and how I fit it! It took me ten solid years to find someone who deals the ASDs in adults and there is over a year wait just to get in. At this point in my life, it is literally just a formality but I digress.

OP, your best bet is to just browse the various forums (some are better than others) and see if things resonate with you. If they do, then make the attempt to find someone who specializes in Autism, although that is easier said than done. One place that might be a good start is a College or University disability services office or a local autism group: they both were immensely helpful to me. It is my experience that many so called experts have a great difficulty in recognizing ASDs in females so best of luck to you.

That does not negate Fnords advice because he does say “appropriately trained” professionals. Other then that the above information and advice is sound. Depending on your location it should be less difficult for a person your age to find someone who knows what they are doing then for an adult.If you find someone relate your experiences with that person. We will know if the person has a clue.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman