Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2020, 7:36 pm

What are some good sensory friendly clothing that isn’t extremely expensive and pretty affordable for a 29 year old women or one who can still wear juniors size. Or brands that are in stores that may not be sensory friendly but are good at being soft so it won’t overload my brain and pretty loose so I won’t feel constricted since I feel that when I wear tight clothing.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 9:32 pm

christinejarvis21 wrote:
What are some good sensory friendly clothing that isn’t extremely expensive and pretty affordable for a 29 year old women or one who can still wear juniors size. Or brands that are in stores that may not be sensory friendly but are good at being soft so it won’t overload my brain and pretty loose so I won’t feel constricted since I feel that when I wear tight clothing.

Good question!

Alas, what constitutes "sensory friendly" varies a lot from one wearer to another.

What we really need is a group of sewing hobbyists who can custom-make clothes for autistic or otherwise sensory-sensitive women at reasonable prices.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2020, 1:10 am

Well I need one where it doesn’t bother my skin and makes me feel like I have done dry skin peeling off and being poked by needles all the time. And make sure it doesn’t have anything on the sides I think they’re called seams. And I also need very loose clothing because tight clothing makes me feel constricted around my stomach and chest area.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2020, 12:27 am

I can definitely relate. It's hard to find decent sensory-friendly clothing, but I find each time I go shopping I get a little better at knowing where to look. I dress pretty comfortable and plain, I tried being trendy for a few years but since I didn't find clothes comfortable I couldn't stick to it.

I like sports t-shirts made by brands like Nike, Burton, Vans, etc... typically they are made of 100% cotton they are usually loose fitting and come in different varieties. For jeans I like Tommy Hilfiger relaxed straight fit and sometimes I'll even check out Hot Topic. I've managed to find really comfortable and practical skinny jeans and cute shirts from there. I also love the sweaters and hoodies made by a brand called Mikk Athletica. Its usually 100% polyester, but it's super soft and really comfortable with few seams.

If your ever stuck wearing an uncomfortable uniform or formal clothes for work I recommend wearing compression clothes underneath to help prevent the feeling of the clothes hitting your skin.