Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 6:23 pm

For the last couple of weeks I've been getting a pain in my left breast, but I'm not due for a period. I'm so scared to feel for lumps myself because A, when I'm anxious I start imagining things and so I would probably get overparanoid and think one of my rib bones is a lump or something, and B, if I did feel a lump I will most definitely have a huge panic attack.

But if I phone the doctor they will probably make me feel for lumps myself, due to COVID restrictions, and not understand that I just cannot being myself to do that and that I will find my breast being felt by a professional nurse/doctor to be a lot more reassuring.

Does an on and off pain in one breast mean cancer? I don't normally get pains in my breasts, only sometimes when I'm due for a period.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 6:32 pm

What type of pain, Joe? Like a stabby pain, a sharp pain, a sensation of heaviness / lumpiness? Is it in your actual breast, or more like your side-boob / underarm area? Do you appear puckered or misshapen in any way? Is your nipple inverting?

I'm no expert but if you're worried about breast cancer, it normally doesn't hurt.

It's possible to injure your breast tissue. I had a serious breast injury once (twice, actually) :( and it caused bruising and swelling which wasn't visible. It went away over time.

Again I'm not a doctor. Definitely keep track of this, though. They'd be much more likely to send you for a mammogram or breast ultrasound, than expecting you to check it yourself.

When was your last mammogram?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 7:25 pm

Hi Joe - if concerned and certainly if it doesn’t settle down, see a Doc. More often than not, it will be nothing serious and is usually linked to periods. As Is mentioned, it can be due to injury or sprain in neck, shoulder or back. Always good to be aware though.

This looks a good initiative to help women who may not be aware of the differences to look out for and how to carry out a self exam. It’s the world’s first app, dedicated to improving early detection. It’s now reached 1 billion users ...
https://www.knowyourlemons.com/symptoms

Breast Pain(NHS)...
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/breast-pain/

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 8:35 pm

Very helpful responses, thank you very much. :heart:

I've never had a mammogram before, in the UK they don't give mammograms to women under 50 or 45. But I've never asked for a mammogram so I think they'll give me a mammogram if I asked.

After the lemon thing link I feel more at ease, although it's night time now so I think I'll have a better look at my breast in the morning when there's natural daylight.

It's not a shooting pain, it's in the middle of the breast but is like a heavy sort of sensation like I'm due for a period, which I'm not (my period finished about 9 days ago). And I'm definitely not pregnant.
The skin around my nipple looks like it has tiny pimples, but then so does the other breast as well.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 8:58 pm

I get sore in my right breast sometimes due to having (benign) cysts. They feel like hard, kind of raised spots under the tissue, and they can get sore even a week or so after my period.

I'd suggest doing a breast exam if a doctor asks you to and you can handle it, since if you feel anything it could just be a cyst or something else benign, and that way if you find something they'd be more likely to relent and let you come in for a proper exam.

As for the raised "pimple" like things, I think those are a type of gland. I Googled them before because I have those and it concerned me, but apparently they're normal. lol

StickBugette
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2021, 3:49 pm

I just want to say a mammogram is very thorough. I had my first one last year. It's like putting your breast into a copy machine. It's uncomfortable/painful, but if you're wanting a thorough check then that's the thing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 6:13 pm

StickBugette wrote:
I just want to say a mammogram is very thorough. I had my first one last year. It's like putting your breast into a copy machine. It's uncomfortable/painful, but if you're wanting a thorough check then that's the thing.

I'm not very good with pain but I think I can cope with that sort of pain, I only have severe sensory issues with anything being inserted into me.