Almost 2 weeks depressed/ not able to get myself going/ PMS

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2006, 5:11 am

I'm almost two weeks mildly depressed and not able to get myself to do the things I should do, or do anything at all EVERY month after ovulation. I'm taking fish oil and some other oil of a plant that I don't know the name of in English (Latin: Oenothera) and I drink St. Johns wort tea, and that all seems to make it a tiny little bit better, but I still suffer from this. I think two weeks is way too long for PMS-like complaints.

The fish oil and so do help against exploding in anger, so it does make a difference, but I still feel depressed and not able to do anything. Anyone suggestions as to what else can be done about it?

mullion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2006, 7:04 am

Ask Dr for NATURAL progesterone. Please note the pill is artificial progestegins & is NOT the same. In UK the product is named Cyclogest (used as a pessary or suppository). It is taken from ovulation (day 14ish) to menstruation. It is a life-saver for PMS rooted depression. Natural progesterone cream is not as effective. Hope this helps - if probs still persist perhaps you would consider a low dose of anti-depressants along with the natural progesterone to tide you over & make life more bearable.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2006, 2:30 pm

The worst of my depression began when I went on the pill...this was in 1980...it was a high dose of estrogen which they dont give anymore...but deffiniatly a hormonal connection with depression.I am on a 75mg effexor which helps alittle with the crying but does nothing with the lack of motivation or the rages I feel...still working on that.

I would recommend that you also get your thyroid checked(sorry to bring it up folks but it really is important and over looked link with depression in women)Do some on line research about it as there is alot of misdiagnoses and undertreatment(right juliekitty :D )There are several forum threads about it here but a lot of sites on web also)

I heard "chastberry tea" can help but its very hard to find herbals that are scientifally regulated for active ingrediant(at least in the US...other countrys are more open to this)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

krex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2006, 2:31 pm

The worst of my depression began when I went on the pill...this was in 1980...it was a high dose of estrogen which they dont give anymore...but deffiniatly a hormonal connection with depression.I am on a 75mg effexor which helps alittle with the crying but does nothing with the lack of motivation or the rages I feel...still working on that.

I would recommend that you also get your thyroid checked(sorry to bring it up folks but it really is important and over looked link with depression in women)Do some on line research about it as there is alot of misdiagnoses and undertreatment(right juliekitty :D )There are several forum threads about it here but a lot of sites on web also)

I heard "chastberry tea" can help but its very hard to find herbals that are scientifally regulated for active ingrediant(at least in the US...other countrys are more open to this)

emc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2006, 8:44 am

Try Yoga..especially the breathing techniques.

But I found out myself personally, I have a 3 month cycle.

What I mean is about once every 3 months I'll get a very low mood, like what you are referrring to. I used to panic about it, until my boyfriend at the time told me "you are like this about every 3 months or so". Now I panic less, and ride it out.

I remember reading about Liane Holliday-Wiley has to take time out from the world, to the point of shutting herself away.

It's a combination of Asperger's and PMS symptoms, in that AS brings out any mood difficulties more.

botch72
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2006, 1:48 pm

I was in a "funk" for almost 3 years. Some things that worked was deep breathing. It helps to oxinigate your blood and gives you more energy. Also smiling helps. I used to feel silly driving to work in the AM's with a smile plastered on my face, but it usually did help a bit to get rid of the frown. I hate meds, so these were easier for me. Also, try some exersise. It will also get the blood flowing and the endorphins rushing. It is a natural upper. Good Luck

emc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Sep 2006, 9:39 pm

[quote="krex"]I would recommend that you also get your thyroid checked(sorry to bring it up folks but it really is important and over looked link with depression in women)Do some on line research about it as there is alot of misdiagnoses and undertreatment(right juliekitty :D )There are several forum threads about it here but a lot of sites on web also)quote]

A whole new topic could be started on Thyroid.

A few points - local anecdotes of pregnant mums with low thyroid levels having ASD kids,
- Thyroid levels, there are different tests for thyroid, you need to ask your Doctor for specific/more thorough level testing at times eg T3 level.

For more info a good site which covers all areas of Thyroid whether you have too high or too low levels etc is www.thyroid.org.au

krex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 10:14 pm

Thanks for the link...we have done a thread here on thyroid but some people seemed offended 8O

I asked my DR if she could do the freeT#,freeT$ test on me and she said ....NO....
She does the TSH test and thats all she would do...so,I went to find a new DR and he said...No...
I asked both of them specific questions about things I had read on line including recent changes in w
level that is considered "normal" now....they keep lowering it ...from5 to 3.3 to 2.5 now....(mine was last 8.75)....My new DR said that didnt sound bad, he just treated a patient that had a level of 300!! !
He said the only symptom she had was a little fatigue!!Who are these lunitics and what ceriel box did they get their deplomas from...I dont know if I have the energy to try and find a new DR *sigh*...

krex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 10:15 pm

Thanks for the link...we have done a thread here on thyroid but some people seemed offended 8O

I asked my DR if she could do the freeT3,freeT4 test on me and she said ....NO....
She does the TSH test and thats all she would do...so,I went to find a new DR and he said...No...
I asked both of them specific questions about things I had read on line including recent changes in w
level that is considered "normal" now....they keep lowering it ...from5 to 3.3 to 2.5 now....(mine was last 8.75)....My new DR said that didnt sound bad, he just treated a patient that had a level of 300!! !
He said the only symptom she had was a little fatigue!!Who are these lunitics and what ceriel box did they get their deplomas from...I dont know if I have the energy to try and find a new DR *sigh*...

starling
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2006, 12:25 am

I had my thyroid checked. It was fine. I'm on fluoxetine now, 10mg a day. I don't seem to have a period this month, but I had all the symptoms. I didn't have very bad tempers sinnce the fluoxetine. I think (hope) it works.

About yoga: I learnt how to meditate (zen) and that worked fine. It helped me with some other things too, like concentrate on things that are happening now. That made me a bit happier.

What I wanted to get rid of is the bad moods. I don't want them for my daughter. It looks like fluoxetine works for that.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 9:13 am

Oh yes, the "joys" of PMS. That's probably why periods were called the "curse".

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2007, 11:00 am

lol, yea a never ending curse. right now im having a pms week which makes me snap at people for no reason or get upset if someone changes the channel. its lasts two weeks but usually towards the end of it i know a period is right around the corner which means relaxation and no stress.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 3:41 am

sandra3 wrote:
lol, yea a never ending curse. right now im having a pms week which makes me snap at people for no reason or get upset if someone changes the channel. its lasts two weeks but usually towards the end of it i know a period is right around the corner which means relaxation and no stress.
What I've found hard is I'm not getting regular periods and so it's not always possible to predict exactly when the PMS is going to show up. It seems to be worse before the heavier periods.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2007, 8:22 pm

i remember the first two years of having a period were irregular and now they've been regular for a long time it changes as you get older.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2007, 6:10 am

I've hit a low patch its quite scary feeling very depressed again, I think it may be related to hormones but not certain I just hope it does'nt persist.

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2007, 4:19 pm

I am i a constant battle against depression but find that the ONLY thing that helps is LISTENING to HAPPY , UPTEMPO music !