No: 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 38

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:50 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I think most of these kids are going to end up in foster care. I’m not sure how that will work since we don’t have enough people fostering or adopting as it is.

This will be inhumane for children.

I agree this could happen.
My 25-year old daughter who follows social media, says many women are going on sex-strikes.
They will stop having consensual sex with men.
That's pretty much what I pictured happening.
On my women's autism forum I've already seen women say they will no longer sleep with their husbands.

I can see some of that like I especially understand currently single women not wanting to have hook ups or things because of this risk. And I guess on some level I could understand deciding not to have sex with your partner, but I don't feel like that particularly. I enjoy having sex with my boyfriend and idk sometimes sex seems to relieve a little stress and I crave it...so I could not stop having sex with him in regards to this. Yes even last night when the decision was brought down we had sex, period sex because I am on it right now but he is not squemish about the blood and well I cannot say people are wrong when they say period sex helps with the cramps and such. But also my boyfriend is pissed about this to, he fully supports women being able to choose so I shouldn't punish him for what other people do. He would fully support me if I got pregnant and chose to have an abortion, for one because we don't want kids but also he thinks it should be my choice.

I will not say sex strikes are wrong, but in my situation there is just no reason to do that...my boyfriend is just as pissed about this ruling as I am. And we like to have sex so we aren't going to stop doing it. That said if I was currently single I'd be being very careful about who I sleep with. But already being in a solid relationship where my boyfriend is on my side about abortion if we got an accidental pregnancy it would not make sense to punish him for it by withholding sex...he is on my side.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:59 pm

Of course there are women who are in committed relationships, who don't feel at risk. It's great that you are active and comfy with your partner too. Vive le fun!

This may sound odd but I've never used birth control (his or hers) in my life. It's kind of a long story but I dated three men who turned out to be gay (therefore it wasn't needed), then when I got married I planned my pregnancy, then we split up when my daughter was a newborn. I didn't date again until my current partner but I don't have the body parts to require contraception. I have no concern about pregnancy from him.

Out of curiosity, do you live in a "red" state? I can't remember.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 11:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I think most of these kids are going to end up in foster care. I’m not sure how that will work since we don’t have enough people fostering or adopting as it is.

This will be inhumane for children.

I agree this could happen.
My 25-year old daughter who follows social media, says many women are going on sex-strikes.
They will stop having consensual sex with men.
That's pretty much what I pictured happening.
On my women's autism forum I've already seen women say they will no longer sleep with their husbands.

* Note this isn't to punish men. It's for self-protection from unplanned pregnancy.

We will probably see a wide range of consequences. I doubt sex strikes will last that long because people like to have sex. I suppose that couples could be more creative in that department, though.

It always amazes me that women willingly married and had sex back when dying during childbirth was so common. Of course, the social expectations and demands were obviously way different, but there were still women who fell in love, threw caution to the wind, and died 9 months later.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 25 Jun 2022, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 11:13 pm

Women are being warned to delete their period tracking apps
Women in the US are concerned about how far authorities will go to stop abortions after a historic decision ended their legal right to terminate a pregnancy in their first two trimesters.
Advocates are concerned that a woman’s search history, location data and period tracking apps could be used by authorities to find out if she is pregnant, if she is considering abortion and if she goes through with the abortion.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... b34e45afa9

Big brother is back in the US

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 11:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Women in the US are concerned about how far authorities will go to stop abortions after a historic decision ended their legal right to terminate a pregnancy in their first two trimesters.
Advocates are concerned that a woman’s search history, location data and period tracking apps could be used by authorities to find out if she is pregnant, if she is considering abortion and if she goes through with the abortion.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... b34e45afa9

Big brother is back in the US

That would be a mess for them to track. Women can miss periods for a variety of reasons.

That’s just an observation. It’s probably best to avoid using such apps. The potential for problems and the invasion of privacy is certainly there.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 11:29 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

That would be a mess for them to track. Women can miss periods for a variety of reasons.

That’s just an observation. It’s probably best to avoid using such apps. The potential for problems and the invasion of privacy is certainly there.

I agree, but...if an authority in a particular jurisdiction is looking for a reason to go after a particular woman then it provides an opportunity to harass or even lock up the woman on suspicion.

It provides yet another excuse for police to trespass into your life.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 11:38 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
It always amazes me that women willingly married and had sex back when dying during childbirth was so common. Of course, the social expectations and demands were obviously way different, but there were still women who fell in love, threw caution to the wind, and died 9 months later.

I know, right?

And no air conditioning.

That might sound funny but I'm serious. I can't imagine living in those heavy clothes and having a dozen children clinging to me, without the use of a car or any AC. Then add some sweaty man wanting to get it on?

Kill me now.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:26 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That might sound funny but I'm serious. I can't imagine living in those heavy clothes and having a dozen children clinging to me, without the use of a car or any AC. Then add some sweaty man wanting to get it on?

Kill me now.

And this is why feminism started! Feminism has been demonised now but the whole reason it started was to give women a choice in how they lived their lives. They didn't have to get married and have children, they could legally live alone, unmarried, childless if they wanted to. Or not!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:29 am

cyberdad wrote:

Yes, I think in Poland, or maybe another Eastern European country, doctors have to record every instance of a woman coming to them because she is pregnant, then the pregnancy can be tracked and monitored. If she is suddenly not pregnant, the government will want to know why. Was it a miscarriage? An abortion? etc. I think they prosecute her whichever happens. I've certainly read about that.

Like the American woman who was prosecuted because another woman shot her in the stomach and killed her baby. She was blamed because someone else killed her baby. WTF.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:37 am

An interesting article by Margaret Atwood positing that the dystopian society in the Handmaiden's Tale might now be a possible reality for women in the future if this current interference of christian fundamentalists continues.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... od/629833/

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:14 am

cyberdad wrote:
An interesting article by Margaret Atwood positing that the dystopian society in the Handmaiden's Tale might now be a possible reality for women in the future if this current interference of christian fundamentalists continues.

Yes. I think some people have read the Handmaid's Tale and thought 'hey, what a brilliant idea! Let's do it.'

Uh oh. I'm glad I'm past childbearing age but I fear for my daughter...

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:03 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes. I think some people have read the Handmaid's Tale and thought 'hey, what a brilliant idea! Let's do it.'

No, this problem goes back a lot further than when HT was originally published. The problems with Christian fundamentalism inspired the book, not the other way around.

On the bright side, some of the more extreme cults, like groups stemming from the IBLP, have gotten a lot of bad publicity lately, so that should count for something,

Still, fundamentalist groups do have a concerning amount of political power.. They view their political involvement as part of their worship. There was a group that was like that in the town I grew up in. They do a lot of campaigning for far right Republicans and harmful legislation.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:19 am

That makes sense to me Isabella ….. but seriously , I think the gov. Will not wake up until it hits our already embattled economy . Or enough protests are established to recall the offending Supreme Court Justices ..

There needs to be a greater change , No Supreme Court judge Should ever be appointed to a lifetime position as. A Supreme Court justice …this event just magnifies the needs to make changes to our politically controlled corrupt system . . This type of behaviour exists all the way down to the local city and county governments . :evil:
Often making huge unilateral changes to areas , with only the interests of political money . And not the people .
This decision just validates bad Gov. Everywhere. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:24 am

It’s so hard to change bad governmental policies when people think that the Constitution, like the Bible, is a sacred document.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 11:27 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
KitLily wrote:

No, this problem goes back a lot further than when HT was originally published. The problems with Christian fundamentalism inspired the book, not the other way around.

Yes, I wasn't being totally serious :) Christian fundamentalism goes back to approximately 4th century AD in Britain. Especially in 16th and 17th century with Puritanism. There have been fashions in Britain where sometimes strict Christianity was forced on people, other times it's more relaxed. At the moment we're in a relaxed phase but I fear for the future.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jun 2022, 11:44 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, I think in Poland, or maybe another Eastern European country, doctors have to record every instance of a woman coming to them because she is pregnant, then the pregnancy can be tracked and monitored. If she is suddenly not pregnant, the government will want to know why. Was it a miscarriage? An abortion? etc. I think they prosecute her whichever happens. I've certainly read about that.

Like the American woman who was prosecuted because another woman shot her in the stomach and killed her baby. She was blamed because someone else killed her baby. WTF.
That's what we fear might happen but not the reality yet here. There are NGOs offering legal help in case someone tried.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>