Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 3:49 pm

I feel so stupid. I can put my hair in a ponytail (learned that years ago) but I just can't put it into a bun. I've watched various Youtube tutorials on how to do it but I still can't. When I have put it into a bun it just becomes loose straight away, and if I keep doing it it just makes my hair start to feel greasy because I'm touching it too much.

When I'm at work I like to keep my hair out of the way completely because I do a lot of bending and moving in my job, but when it's in a ponytail it's so heavy and thick that the ponytail just partens itself and hangs either side of my face when I'm bending down, and it's REALLY annoyingly distracting. So I wear a cap and tuck my hair in the cap so it stays out of the way, but I don't want to keep wearing a hat every day.

I bet I'm the only girl in the whole world who doesn't know how to put my hair up in a bun. I'm all fingers and thumbs when I try to do it, and my stupid hair is just too thick and heavy. Does anyone else have this trouble?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 3:58 pm

When I had long hair I couldn't figure out how to put my hair in a bun for the life of me. I can't braid it either. It took me forever to even figure out how to get it to stay in a ponytail. lol

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 4:03 pm

I can't do it either. I'm always fascinated at how a lot of women can do fancy things with their hair (and make up).

Have you seen those sponge doughnut things you can use in your hair to help you to make a bun?

https://www.google.com/search?q=sponge+ ... fJOlqib0PM

I don't k ow how they work though.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm

It sometimes takes me a few tries to tie my hair up, but I've slowly managed to get the hang of it. My hair's fairly thick.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 6:31 pm

Well you aren't the only one, ha ha I struggle with that to. One solution I have resorted to is just getting one of those bigger hair clips I'll put my hair in a high pony tail and twist it around and use the hair clip to hold it in place. something like this:

Makes a sorta sloppy bun type hairdo, but it will stay in place.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 7:32 pm

I've never bothered looking up how to do a bun (and I don't want to be a "manbun" guy), but when I have long hair I'll put it in a ponytail, do the hair tie half way, fold my ponytail over, and pull the loop through the rest of the hair tie.

There's kind of a thin line between "too loose" and "too tight", but I usually only have to adjust it maybe once per work shift.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 9:56 pm

I do mine out of habit. Because sometimes the weather is too hot.
It's nothing fancy like the types to show off in a professional setting or fancy parties however.

I'd only do this when my hair's treatment are no longer in effect.
Usually mine involves grabbing my long hair as if I'm doing a ponytail -- or just tie it with something small and thin, twist it around as if I'm twisting 2 strings onto each other until it's a bit thicker -- or just braid it.
Then depending on how I twisted it, I keep twisting it the other way in the same direction I twisted my hair, as if I'm twisting two strings together into a lump and make a bun out of that, then I practically just put a scrunchie around that.

Sometimes I had to tuck said lump under my hair where it's tighter before tying it with a scrunchie. Sometimes I don't need to tie it -- it's simply tucked in tight.

The fancy buns that are usually found in the internet however? :lol: I struggle to do that. Because I don't use hairpins well.

I use scrunchies. Or nothing.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2021, 2:51 am

I have no idea how to do it either. When I see tutorials on how to put up hair and stuff I just get overwhelmed by all the extra things it seems that you need to buy (pins, spray or whatever people put on their hair). Then my arms hurt from trying over and over to get it right and I just get frustrated and give up. I can't even figure out how to do a ponytail that looks decent and feels comfortable.

Also have thick, wavy hair. I just let it do whatever. :P

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 3:39 pm

My hair is intensely straight but thick and heavy, and you can't do a lot with it because it's so heavy. I don't want short hair though, because long hair suits me and makes me feel attractive, but at the same time long hair can be a pain when it won't stay up in a bun. I don't know what to do with hairpins either. My hair is a nightmare to maintain.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 10:03 pm

I'm an expert in all sorts of buns. :D And I have very slippery hair. The secret is you need good hair clips or sticks or fork to hold your hair in. I swear by this kind of clip, I put my hair up and can be out all day without touching it or even thinking about my hair. https://www.ficcare.com/maximas They're pricey but really worth it for people with long hairs. Plus they have good resale values.

Come join us in the long hair community forum and you'll find a whole world of information regarding hair. :D

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 10:13 am

I really wish I could do a messy bun, but it just doesn't work. I can do a tight bun, but I like that carefree messy bun look.

These hair screws are amazing for holding a bun or French roll up. I got some from Boots 20years ago and still use them

Hair spiral

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 3:29 pm

I bought one of those 'doughnut' hair ties and thought that would do the trick, but it seems to have stretched slightly on the first day of using it, so now it doesn't hold my hair in a bun. I thought my hair being thick it would stay in one of those but it won't.

My hair is completely unmanageable.

I will try the things the good people here have suggested. :)

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 3:51 am

I've had long hair pretty much my entire life. I've never been able to figure out how to put it in a bun even after watching many instructional videos. I can't braid it behind my head either. All I can do is hold it back with a big clip, put it in a ponytail with a scrunchie, do a braid on each side, or a braid to one side.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 3:30 pm

I put my hair up in twists and buns and all sorts of creations to keep it out of my face.

Unfortunately I get headaches from any type of hair tie, scrunchie, or claw. Even if it's really loose and down low near the end of my hair, I can feel the tension or weight pulling on my head. I hyperfocus on it the whole time and can't filter out / ignore the awareness of something pulling on me.

When I leave my hair down I can't see because it blows in my face or covers my eyes especially if I have to lean over when shopping.

I have very long hair and I'll never cut it though. That would be even worse of a nightmare for sensory reasons.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:18 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Unfortunately I get headaches from any type of hair tie, scrunchie, or claw. Even if it's really loose and down low near the end of my hair, I can feel the tension or weight pulling on my head. I hyperfocus on it the whole time and can't filter out / ignore the awareness of something pulling on me.

Ditto. When my hair's in that "not quite long enough" state, I'll wear a bandana a lot like some kind of hobo pirate. Growing it out is the worst.

Every once in a while I go crazy and buzz it all, but I always regret it...and like I said, growing it back out again is the worst >_<

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:28 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Ditto. When my hair's in that "not quite long enough" state, I'll wear a bandana a lot like some kind of hobo pirate. Growing it out is the worst.

Every once in a while I go crazy and buzz it all, but I always regret it...and like I said, growing it back out again is the worst >_<

Last night I dreamed that I chopped my hair off to chin length.
In fact I had multiple dreams about all sorts of people cutting their hair off.

The last time I had my hair cut above my shoulders was when I was 15.
It's past the middle of my back now.