Page 4 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

silly_rabbi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2008, 6:47 pm

Haliphron wrote:
First of all, I have been subjected to PLENTY of "reverse" sexism IRL. Furthermore, even as a child I recieved a great deal of disapproval from women for being socially clumsy. I do not believe for a moment that contemporary western women are powerless and furthermore, I notice that Fewer and Fewer women my age are complaining about "male oppression". There are however, a few hardline feminists who think that feminism is Anything thats in womens self-interest and seem to have a sense of entitlement stemming from being female. I'd really like to know WHY so many aspie women adopt this attitude and WHY they have *issues* with men. I dont recognize womens entitlement to victim status just because they are female; and most NT women I run into do not take this approach with men. I dont feel the least bit sorry for poor little hale_bopp; she's an attractive young women in a place where women certainly do wield a great deal of power.

I think my issues with sexism stem from developing early: being treated as nothing more than tits and ass at 11 doesn't give a girl the right idea of men in general. Yes, some people will always treat others as objects. Perhaps they're fewer out there than I suspect. However, having had that in the background when I entered relationships I was constantly: being objectified, treated as if I was only there to "service" my partner's sexual needs, shown a lack of respect for who I am, etc. My experiences may not be typical, but it has shown me that even in the post-feminist era, some women do still have it hard. We are still (and I'm speaking culturally here, YMMV) expected to have kids, leave our careers to take care of them, and if we don't fulfill our "purpose" we didn't have a successful life. We are expected to marry, settle down, raise a family, take care of our husbands, etc. We are shown that in every movie/tv show/song that that is how it is "supposed" to be. Granted, it is a LOT better than the 50s...But there is still a lot of work to be done before anyone can say that the sexes are "equal".

I am by no means a "hardline feminist". I am just one person who is tired of being objectified. I am tired of people assuming that because I carry XX chromosomes I do not have a brain. I'm tired of social constructs telling me what my purpose in life is supposed to be just because I can bear children. I don't have a sense of entitlement from being female. Hell, I like to go my own way and do things for myself, because I realized ultimately I only have myself to count on.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 7:14 pm

Ticker wrote:
... Why do men cry SEXISM any time someone disagrees with them? Women have as much a right to having an opinion as men do.

Sexist (n): 1 - A man who disagrees with a woman; 2 - A man who disagrees with a liberal woman; 3 - A man who performs a courteous act for a liberated woman; 4 - A man who makes more money than a woman of lesser seniority or job-related skill; 5 - A man with opinions and thoughts of his own; 6 - A man.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

traveller011212
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2008, 8:50 pm

Haliphron wrote:
First of all, I have been subjected to PLENTY of "reverse" sexism IRL. Furthermore, even as a child I recieved a great deal of disapproval from women for being socially clumsy. I do not believe for a moment that contemporary western women are powerless and furthermore, I notice that Fewer and Fewer women my age are complaining about "male oppression". There are however, a few hardline feminists who think that feminism is Anything thats in womens self-interest and seem to have a sense of entitlement stemming from being female. I'd really like to know WHY so many aspie women adopt this attitude and WHY they have *issues* with men. I dont recognize womens entitlement to victim status just because they are female; and most NT women I run into do not take this approach with men. I dont feel the least bit sorry for poor little hale_bopp; she's an attractive young women in a place where women certainly do wield a great deal of power.

What Haliphron is talking about is more along the lines of being socially awkward rather than resented for sexist issues. Aspie faces tend to look moody at best, but often down right angry. Women are more receptive to body language, such as facial expression, than men (per fMRI and PET studies) and respond more drastically.

In my experience any woman who wants to be seen as more than a sex object is resisted by both men and women. This is especially true if said woman is beautiful (or has "nice" features). Men resist more up to a point, but then women can become the dominant oppression. As a guy I find that it is REALLY uncomfortable when a girl decides that my package is more worth staring at than my face. I find it hard to imagine what women must go through every day. Of course the chest is much closer to the face than the groin area. <argument continues>

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 10:48 pm

b***h (n): 1 - A woman who disagrees with a man; 2 - A woman who disagrees with a conservative man; 3 - A woman who refuses to perform sexual acts for a man; 4 - A woman who makes more money than a man of lesser seniority or job-related skill, esp. a woman with political power; 5 - A woman with opinions and thoughts of her own; 6 - A woman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 10:56 pm

^^ Impressive.

Care to collaborate?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:03 am

rossc wrote:
Halle Bopp being sexist is not something you ought to be hi-fiving yourself for. Definitely something to work on though, now that you are aware of it.

I'm not proud of it by any means. It's not anthing recent either, I've had problems with males ever since I was a small child. I am trying to make an effort to think of guys in the same respect in which I think of women.

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2008, 7:35 am

hale_bopp wrote:
rossc wrote:
Halle Bopp being sexist is not something you ought to be hi-fiving yourself for. Definitely something to work on though, now that you are aware of it.

I'm not proud of it by any means. It's not anthing recent either, I've had problems with males ever since I was a small child. I am trying to make an effort to think of guys in the same respect in which I think of women.

Fair enough then. THis is all you can do. I have been through the wringer a few times with women and have a tendency to attribute the nastiest stereotypes against all good judgment based on bad experience so I can understand. I do often catch myself and re-assess and I think this is all people like us can do.

For your own peace of mind and comfort I am wishing you the best in finding a male with which you feel this ease and comfortability.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 7:55 am

rossc wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
rossc wrote:

Fair enough then. THis is all you can do. I have been through the wringer a few times with women and have a tendency to attribute the nastiest stereotypes against all good judgment based on bad experience so I can understand. I do often catch myself and re-assess and I think this is all people like us can do.

For your own peace of mind and comfort I am wishing you the best in finding a male with which you feel this ease and comfortability.

Thank you :)

I really hope I can cure myself of this. I know it sounds stupid but I recon there was a lot of conflict with Myself and males in a past life or more. It's the only explanation, why else would I hate men as a child?

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 8:56 am

In our culture, men are encouraged to act like jerks. Being a jerk doesn't really have anything to do with being male, but all too often we associate masculinity with the more negative aspects of some men, such as apathy, arrogance, predatory behavior, the view of women as sexual objects, etc. These aspects are somehow considered "admirable" by a lot of men. I never really bought into that, but I'll admit that I'm not completely non-sexist... I have to keep catching myself from making generalizations. At least I was fortunate enough to be raised without quite so many misguided views about the meaning of "gender."

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 12:07 pm

flutter wrote:
1) How bad is it that I thought Alex was a guy? After reading this thread I had to check her profile to find out I was wrong this whole time.

Alex who? Plank? He's a guy.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 2:05 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
rossc wrote:

Well Ive had problems getting along with women ever since I was a small child. Much of them stem for women's impatience and intolerance towards my being a boy with very bad social skills. And unlike YOU hale_bopp, I do Not have sex appeal which only exacerbates womens dislike and distrust towards me. Part of my problem is that women, particularly the younger ones, have often and Still do feel very threatened by me despite me never having actually DONE anything.
Ive also noticed that when ultrafeminists decide to go male-bashing they often choose males who are socially inept as targets.
I would honestly say that Im more of a misogynist than a sexist, sometimes fiercely so. And for the record I AM rather ashamed of it.

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 2:20 pm

Anemone wrote:
flutter wrote:
1) How bad is it that I thought Alex was a guy? After reading this thread I had to check her profile to find out I was wrong this whole time.

Alex who? Plank? He's a guy.

Ok. now I'm totally confused.

I thought Hale_Bopp was Alex.

I also thought she was a rather cute guy!

And Halphiron -

Women have almost universally seen me as not a threat and immediately relegated me to the big brother category. Which is worse? Having a small subsection of women hate you immediately, or having all of them want to adopt you? Think carefully before you answer. ;)

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 2:26 pm

I wouldnt say that small subsection of them "Hate" me, I would say that the Majority of women I run into dislike me right from teh getgo before getting to know me. My way of thinking and seeing the world, as well as my style of conversation seems to provoke derision from most of 'em. What exactly do mean by having women want to 'adopt' me? Ive noticed that there are some men who make a VERY positive first impression on women and women seem to instinctively trust these men-even though a few(like Ted Bundy)are very dangerous. I realize that much of how people react to me probably isnt deliberate, but its hard not to feel resentful at times.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 4:12 pm

so i think i finally understand all this...

aspie female = probability of being objectified/oppressed

aspie male = probability of a lonely and awkward existence

they're both pretty much bummers really...i imagine that the two sexes would like a more balanced role in society, ie the girls would want a little less attention, and the boys would want a little more.

all i wanted in my teen years was for someone to find me sexually attractive, hormones fly around, so my emotional response is gonna be a skewed, wallowing and lonely male sob story...but upon rational contemplation, we're all pretty much equally hurt by these experiences, male or female.

x

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 1:56 am

actually, I'd more say any female has a probability of being objectified/oppressed.

the point I most prefer to make about sexism of any kind is that it renders all of us more likely confined to loneliness.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 5:32 am

Haliphron wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
rossc wrote:

Well Ive had problems getting along with women ever since I was a small child. Much of them stem for women's impatience and intolerance towards my being a boy with very bad social skills. And unlike YOU hale_bopp, I do Not have sex appeal which only exacerbates womens dislike and distrust towards me. Part of my problem is that women, particularly the younger ones, have often and Still do feel very threatened by me despite me never having actually DONE anything.
Ive also noticed that when ultrafeminists decide to go male-bashing they often choose males who are socially inept as targets.
I would honestly say that Im more of a misogynist than a sexist, sometimes fiercely so. And for the record I AM rather ashamed of it.

I look better in those photos than in real life. I have a lot less "sex appeal" than you would think. I think you've got it pretty bad, and would understand if you're sexist against women.

Most guys seem the same to me, sex fanatics whether they're attractive, alpha, or not.