Page 1 of 14 [ 221 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 4:03 pm

If a woman posts a thread and states she does not want a males opinion on the matter, males posts will be deleted.

By all means males can post in here, but please respect what the thread title asks. If you are a lady and you don't want males butting in, please state in the topic name that it is for females.

To be honest a lot of the male replies in here have been total rubbish, and see no reason for anyone to find a problem with this rule.

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2007, 4:22 pm

So where is a "Men's Discussion" forum?

A forum or board overall may have ideas on what level if any of censorship should be enforced. But, that level of censorship should never be leveled against someone because of their sex, age, country of origin, religion or other problems. A rubbish post (using your words) is a rubbish post regardless of whomever posted it. If the moderators say that a particular forum will have "rubbish" posts removed; then it should be carried the same for everyone. Discrimination is never right, no matter who it is against.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 4:38 pm

If there's something useful that I can add then I will. However I will do my best to knock off the 'phwoar boobies' kind of post. This is an open forum and I don't think anyone has the right to dictate who and who cannot respond. If you don't like it don't put it out there.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 5:46 pm

I must say I feel a little insulted. I like it if I can post without feeling like my post has to have a certain value. If I just want to agree with something, am I not allowed to post it? Do my posts have to add a certain amount to a topic to be worthwhile? If it is a discusion where only female posts are wanted for some reason that makes sense, that's fine. But don't just be like "oh men are stupid, we don't need their rubbish in this post". That's sexism.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 6:10 pm

So yes, one gender's opinions on a certain matter are valued less than the other gender's, and should not be allowed to be expressed, eh?

Welcome to the pre-1920's.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 6:19 pm

What about posts from people who are physically female, but have male in their profile, because thats their gender identity? They would be suited to answering questions about things that alot of females wouldn't want males to comment on such as periods, but they shouldnt' have to put female in their profile because they aren't female.

LogicGenerator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2007, 7:32 pm

C'mon guys. You know very well that some women believe you are beneath them and therefore your opinion is unimportant.

But that just goes like everything else. They have a women's only room in our local gym. Many universities have women only dormitories and no male dormitories.

But I do agree that if you don't have anything meaningful to say, don't say anything at all

You didn't mention that we couldn't post to this thread.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 7:44 pm

LogicGenerator wrote:
C'mon guys. You know very well that some women believe you are beneath them and therefore your opinion is unimportant.

Just as there are men that act that way about women. Did this have a point? Or are you directing these comments towards specific members?
LogicGenerator wrote:
But that just goes like everything else. They have a women's only room in our local gym. Many universities have women only dormitories and no male dormitories.

Some women would rather not feel like they have guys ogling them while they try to exercise, be it because guys find them attractive or unattractive. If you think guys should have that...start a gym up with such rules. You might make some money, you might not.

Dorms? Well, you usually won't find a high number of males complaining about co-ed dorms. That isn't to trivialize those that would like a males-only dorm, but it isn't always easy to make everyone happy all the time. "Co-ed" also can have many different forms, be it segregated floors, or segregated wings. It doesn't guarantee mixed floors.
LogicGenerator wrote:
But I do agree that if you don't have anything meaningful to say, don't say anything at all

...something you've said that I agree with.
LogicGenerator wrote:
You didn't mention that we couldn't post to this thread.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 8:33 pm

LogicGenerator wrote:

Thanks for proving exactly why its important that men's post be restricted in this forum - women need a place where they can post about concerns/worries related to being a women and not immediately have men ignorant of the issues come in with condescending comments like the one above.

Quote:
They have a women's only room in our local gym. Many universities have women only dormitories and no male dormitories

If I don't want to have the majority of men staring at my chest, and quite a few guys accidentally bumping into me, whistling, etc, then I need to wear a baggy shirt. A regular t-shirt won't cut it because my bust is so large it attracts male attention. if I'm working out, the sweat will cause my shirt to stick to my chest (ever see a wet t-shirt contest). And so of course I'm likely to be oggled or worse by some pervert. Yes most men aren't perverts, but most men will look/stare and thats attention that I don't want in the slightest. That is far less likely to happen in a women's only gym.

I don't do anythign to make my breasts standout - indeed i'd be most happy if I had a flat chest. But even so, anything less than a really baggy shirt brings quite a bit of of staring, and sometimes worse. i should be free to workout in a gym without having to be treated like a sex object solely for the pleasure of another - don't you agree?

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 10:55 pm

It first sounded to me like it's a matter of respecting a person's wishes to keep a female matter private. Which at first seems reasonable to me. But then I think there would be a lot of really pissed off women if we were asked to respect a man's privacy on a man's forum within WP. As TheMidnightJudge pointed out, excluding seems rather sexist.

I suspect rubbish responses from men are giving the guys a bad name. The respectful ones just keep quiet in the first place. The respectful ones are probably the ones irritated by this fact too.

Some men leer at women in a gym. Some women giggle and tee hee about men in a gym. Either way, it makes both sexes feel very self-conscious. I think instead of separating men and women, everyone just needs to grow up. Offenders be dealt with, everyone else be given respect and the benefit of the doubt until proven they can't handle it. It bothers me how men are always seen as the jerk (or idiot, or whatever) in so many situations.

I particularly like Grimfaire's viewpoint on this. Remove rubbish posts. Don't make it sound like all guys' posts are rubbish...which is why (I think) LogicGenerator seems to have taken offense. I think a lot of guys felt offended. Triangular_Trees, not all guys treat women like a sex object in a gym. I've worked out plenty of times in the same room with men, and most are very respectful and just wrapped up in their own workouts. I think what you're talking about here is more a social anxiety problem, and I think you need to make peace with your breasts instead of making a blanket statement about leering men making you uncomfortable when perhaps a bit of skewed perception may be involved.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Sep 2007, 10:57 pm

peoples posts should not be deleted. We do not have an option for transgender individuals. It would be wrong to delete posts based on the gender listed

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 11:04 pm

alex wrote:
peoples posts should not be deleted.

I agree. At the same time, if it is requested, the men (males, guys, boys, pick the word that makes you happiest when you read this. >_<) that are reading threads in which women explicitly ask for only the input of other women should at least try to respect those wishes. (Guess even that's not quite "right." If you identify as male, and are biologically male, then yes, they're talking about you when they are asking for you to not comment. :P)

If males want the same kind of "treatment" (couldn't think of the right word) they could try the same sort of strategy (specifying such things in the thread title) in the adult forum.

Quirky_Girl72
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2007, 11:37 pm

Grimfaire wrote:

A forum or board overall may have ideas on what level if any of censorship should be enforced. But, that level of censorship should never be leveled against someone because of their sex, age, country of origin, religion or other problems. A rubbish post (using your words) is a rubbish post regardless of whomever posted it. If the moderators say that a particular forum will have "rubbish" posts removed; then it should be carried the same for everyone. Discrimination is never right, no matter who it is against.

I have to agree w/ you on this one.

alex wrote:
peoples posts should not be deleted. We do not have an option for transgender individuals. It would be wrong to delete posts based on the gender listed

Much agreed. Everyone should have the opportunity to share their opinion, if the feel the need to. If one does not like what a person has to say, one can always ignore or reply to it.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2007, 11:57 pm

ohhh God...there was no point to have a men forum
its stupid...its just another adult forum
women deserve to talk about personal things without guys budding in :roll:
seriously...its more about kindness then gender...
I have made 2 posts here ever 1 about girls being allowed in the cub scouts here and this one)
I have no busness here and never come here...
I think guys should just keep away-since when is it any of your/our buisness anyways... :?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 12:24 am

Quote:
I think what you're talking about here is more a social anxiety problem, and I think you need to make peace with your breasts instead of making a blanket statement about leering men making you uncomfortable when perhaps a bit of skewed perception may be involved.

Making peace with my breasts won't stop men from reaching out and grabbing them, or otherwise touching them, because there so "full" or "large." which used to happen once every few months before I started wearing baggy clothes.
And thats not to count all the nasty comments in between about sex and whatnot. The stares are there, even my friends have noticed. And don't say well you just have to be careful where you go because I have the right to be walking in a mall or walmart, or to ride rides at amusement parks. Indeed if men didn't react that way, and so frequently at that, my only problem with them would be that they prevent me from carrying things and of course the back pain.

When you go out in public in a goddamn sports bra and regular cut t-shirt and thats what you counter, its not a social anxiety problem. Its a pervert problem. And even men who aren't perverts, look for their own gratification. I have the right as a human being to not be a sex object. That doesn't mean I have social anxiety, that means I desire to be treated like a person, not an object. Why do you have so much animosity to someone wanting to be treated like a human rather than a bed toy?

Just because I didn't always make contact doesn't mean I couldn't notice the fact that it was more rare for a man to be looking towards my face than it was for him to be looking toward my chest during a conversation.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2007, 2:30 am

Quote:

There used to be one, and if I had my way, there still would be.

Quote:

I was refering to sexist posts made by males in serious threads in here. Also, this is the womans forum, and trust me, if a woman makes a sh*t post it deserves to be deleted also.

Quote:
If there's something useful that I can add then I will. However I will do my best to knock off the 'phwoar boobies' kind of post. This is an open forum and I don't think anyone has the right to dictate who and who cannot respond. If you don't like it don't put it out there.

As far as I was aware, this forum has rules. If you want to post what you want where you want go to intensity. It is a womans forum, and women should have the right to recieve women advice, if they ask for it, without immature and pointless posts from males like "Why would you want smaller boobs"?

I don't see why this is such a problem. If a woman does not want a males input, the most she can do is ask for them not to post, and it would be inconsiderate of them to do so.

But if you're seriously thinking that posts like "boobies are hot" are going to not be deleted, we may as well throw the womans forum to the dogs and forget about it.