Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2009, 4:53 pm

I, like many others out there, have decided to create a blog/forum for women and girls with Asperger's syndrome. I have it. My youngest daughter has it and my teenage daughter likely has it. Since I am a woman and am surrounded by Aspie girls, I decided that I probably could write a nice blog and maybe even get some women and girls to participate in a forum. Right now I don't have too many blog posts, but there are a few on there for anyone who is interested in reading them. I have a forum on my site, too. There are only two sections right now. One for introductions and another for General Discussion. I thought that I would wait and see what sort of topics might get posted before attempting to add any categories. I would like to create categories that are meaningful and useful for other Aspie women and girls. I am also interested in parents of girls with AS or autism. Wrong Planet is GREAT, but I find that there are so many topics in our "women's section" that it is difficult to really capture the essence of what Aspie women want to talk about. If you are interested or even just curious, here is the link:

Whipstitches Asperger's Blog

Then name of this page might change..... the address will not.

Thanks to anyone who takes a moment to check me out and even bigger thanks to anyone willing to help me carve out some ideas for categories for the forum section of my site. That is the thing I am most interested in learning more about. What matters are pressing on our minds? Young and old and in between are welcome!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 5:26 pm

Nice blog. I tried posting on it, but didn't do it right the first time. Hopefully my second attempt was more succesful.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2009, 5:33 pm

I LOVED the comment that you left about signs. Thanks for sharing!

Any ideas on forum categories for women and girls? What do you think is important to see?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 5:45 pm

Well, I often feel a disjunct between how I feel as a woman, and what others expect. For example, I feel very comfortable as a woman, but apparently I come across as rather "macho" or "butch" a lot of the time. I don't wear makeup (though I've tried, I just feel like my Dad in drag) I can't figure out WHAT to do with my hair. For a long time I cut it very short, but that just added to my butch image, and it gets somewhat annoying to keep having people thinking I'm a lesbian.

I wonder whether society's rather childish attitudes to what makes a woman female might have any impact on how women's sexuality develops? For example, if you're a big strong woman (I'm five ten, and when I moved house recently could schlep freezers, dryers etc with the best of them) people think you're "macho". No... I'm just a sturdy girl, to quote my Dad.

It would be interesting to see how aspie women view their sexuality.

Also, you're an aspie Mom... so am I, and my son is also aspie. But I'm also an aspie daughter, and at least one of my parents is NT. He's coming to terms with the way I am... but looking at opposite parent child relationships, and NT Aspie relationships between family and close friends is worth exploring.

I'm definitely bookmarking your blog, and reading it... mightn't be that active for a while, at least during the week, but I enjoyed what I read so far and will revisit it when I'm not at work. It is very well written, and that's always appealing.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2009, 2:26 pm

Thanks mgran! I appreciate the compliments and the feedback. I have a similar issue with my "femininity". I always feel like I am on the outside looking in when I am in a group of other women. It happens a lot because I have to be social with all of the other mom's when I take my little girl to school. I don't wear a lot of make-up (if I wear any at all) and I don't really like to shop or watch Oprah or ogle at celebrity men. I have also had the same hair style for most of my life. There have been a few times that I have cut it, but I always gravitate right back to the same old hair I have always had...... :lol: So much for branching out..... I think that I also have that "macho" thing going on. I don't scream when I see a mouse or fear dirt and germs (well... maybe in a Wal-Mart toilet..... :lmao:). I don't wear pink or other bright colors....blah, blah, blah.... It all leaves me feeling very alien when I try to dress "like a girl", so I tend to be rather bland in my appearance. I think that I will go ahead and create a category for this sort of stuff in my forum page. Issues related to femininity/sexuality....something like that.

Thanks again! I look forward to having someone read my blog. That makes it all seem worth it!

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 8:09 pm

Joined the forum. My name there is Xélie.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2009, 8:26 am

Thanks! See you there!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 5:39 am

I tried posting something about my childhood play there, but it vanished into cyberspace. I'll pop back tonight and try again.

I really like it by the way.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2009, 9:31 am

Great! I wonder why your message vanished.......?

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:05 pm

Nice blog indeed.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2009, 4:52 pm

Thanks! I need to write a new entry some time soon. My in-laws are visiting and I have recently become addicted to this silly facebook game called farmtown. UGH!