National Geographic or your Interest-based TV show

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2018, 9:11 am

I like watching National Geographic, anything about sea life, the solar system or rain forests because it is one og my interests (anything with animals). If you watch National Geographic or Animal Planet, do you have a favorite show from that channel?

If animals are terribly boring and not your interest area (are you still reading my post) what is your favorite interest-based tv show? What channel does it come on?

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 10:43 am

Virtually all of my interests are far too arcane for their own TV show.

I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau, and grew up to become an avid diver with over 400 hours underwater. I always enjoyed nature programs, particularly marine ones, but I can't stand to watch them any more. Pollution, overfishing, global warming and acidification are destroying the oceans; it's like helplessly watching a beloved friend slowly die in great suffering.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 11:17 am

I like Deadly Women on Investigation Discovery.

Female serial killers and murderers are intriguing.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

Animal Planet-Too Cute (Cats and Kittens)

There is a whole channel based on one of my special interests-The Tennis Channel. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore. I can also watch tennis online. I get a lot of good Denis Istomin videos.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2018, 11:20 pm

I like learning about geography, history, science and the like. I much prefer TV or video for that because I don't really have the attention required to read for too long at any one time and occasionally just have trouble with actually reading (skipping words, reading words incorrectly...not sure I can properly describe it).

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

I also like medical-related programming.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2018, 9:02 am

IstominFan wrote:
Animal Planet-Too Cute (Cats and Kittens)

There is a whole channel based on one of my special interests-The Tennis Channel. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore. I can also watch tennis online. I get a lot of good Denis Istomin videos.

The Tennis Channel? That's a strange interest from my perspective because I do not know anything about tennis and I don't play, but if you like to play tennis or have played before I can see why that would be your special interest. Or maybe you just like to watch the game for the sake of it.

I am extremely uncoordinated (horribly uncoordinated) so I wouldn't be any good at tennis personally.

I never heard of Denis Istomin, I need to google him out of curiousity.

Thanks

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:05 am

I also like The Homicide Hunter on Investigation Discovery.

I get the feeling that Joe Kenda tells his stories the way they really happened and doesn't exaggerate anything for TV. When watching that show I always get the feeling of just how hard it really is being a cop and a detective and seeing the horrific things they have to deal with whenever a murder happens especially when it involves things like gang activity and drugs.

So many of the murders he investigated were completely senseless and nothing like what you see in TV crime dramas. I prefer watching shows about documented crimes over fictional crimes because the fictional crimes always pale in comparison in my opinion.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:06 am

I love to watch my favorite players and I take tennis lessons, too. I thought I was too uncoordinated to play sports, but I found one I really loved. I have made great improvements in the three years I have been taking lessons, and now I can really have fun and get a great workout.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2018, 9:08 am

Piobaire wrote:
Virtually all of my interests are far too arcane for their own TV show.

I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau, and grew up to become an avid diver with over 400 hours underwater. I always enjoyed nature programs, particularly marine ones, but I can't stand to watch them any more. Pollution, overfishing, global warming and acidification are destroying the oceans

I like arcane interests...

That is so fascinating that you like diving and have actually gone. You must have seen lots of interesting sea life and sea plants, corals and things I find interesting. Maybe you've taken some great pictures too with an underwater camera (I like to take pictures of nature when I'm in the mood to do it).

Pollution is a hot topic for those who share an interest in environmentalism. It's sad when you go to the beach you enjoyed in your youth now as an adult, and find that the sand is dirty or the water has more pollutants floating along the shore to where you don't want to go in the water for a swim. You can see that pollution in a local area has increased when it is visible more times than not when you visit that area. Overfishing bothers me too, but I think it is not as much of a local concern since it is more related to deep sea fishing. A lot of people deny the existence of global warming (why?). I don't know anything about acidification - you have some interesting personal interests.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2018, 9:10 am

TW1ZTY wrote:

I used to watch Snapped! alot and those kinds of shows before I started taking medications. :) :heart:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:12 am

CalicoMischief,

Are you a cat lover? I had a Calico cat named C.C. (name stood for Calico Cat, Christmas Cat and Cute Cat).

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2018, 9:12 am

Canadian Penguin wrote:
I like learning about geography, history, science and the like. I much prefer TV or video for that because I don't really have the attention required to read for too long at any one time and occasionally just have trouble with actually reading (skipping words, reading words incorrectly...not sure I can properly describe it).

I like those subjects too (to watch, not to read). I agree with you on that. I don't have the attention span or patience to read about those topics, and when I try I tend to space out. I like to watch those kinds of videos on Youtube, or sometimes I watch college lectures on Youtube (which I highly recommend. They are interesting).

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2018, 9:14 am

IstominFan wrote:
CalicoMischief,

Are you a cat lover? I had a Calico cat named C.C. (name stood for Calico Cat, Christmas Cat and Cute Cat).

I love all animals equally. I love cat energy. I have a cat, she's a calico.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:49 am

CalicoMischief wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

I used to watch Snapped! alot and those kinds of shows before I started taking medications. :) :heart:

I just find the concept of female murderers and criminals fascinating because people tend to think that there are less female criminals than there are male criminals and that really isn't true. It's just that our society tends to be more forgiving towards women when it comes to crime.

Take Lizzie Borden for example. I believe that she did murder both of her parents with an ax and the ONLY reason she got away with it was simply because she was a woman who came from a respectable family and was standing before an all-male jury who took pity on her because of her gender. If she had been a man I have no doubt that she would have hung for the crime.

And she wasn't the only woman in the 1800's who got away with murder for the same reason. Constance Kent was another example who was found not guilty for murdering her young half-brother by slitting his throat, because she was a girl who came from a respectable family. The entire Victorian society was shocked when years later she actually confessed to her crime.

evilsithwraith666
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2018, 9:58 am

My interests don’t really have their own channels- I like history, geography( I spend many hours just analyzing maps), paleontology( in my view though that is history just not human history) and especially warfare- I find most of the stuff I want to watch as either free documentaries on my fire-stick, or I use Netflix. Cable/regular tv is practically useless for what I want to watch, apps on smart tv is infinitely better.