No 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
No but I intend to get one in the future 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 72

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2018, 1:22 pm

I'll tell you guys a story.

Back in high school, I was in a study hall designed for kids with high-functioning autism. There were around 15 kids, all of them were in 10th through 12th grade (9th graders at the time did not go to high school in my district) so almost all of them were of legal driving age at the end of the school year.

And out of those 15 kids, I was the only one who had a drivers license and drove to school. I got my drivers license when I was 17 years old, the summer before my senior year.

In fact, I talked to the teacher who was the case manage of all of the kids with autism. In his 10 years working there, and meeting probably around 50+ students, there were ever only 3 kids who had gotten their drivers license during their high school career. I was the third.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 3:45 pm

I passed the driving test and got my driver license early. I commuted by car to my university daily, I was a good driver. No accidents. I even became a delivery driver part time for a courier company for a short time. But eventually I quit the job.

After I transferred to a new university in another city I stopped driving. I have always been using public transportation ever since. My license eventually expired. Over the time limit for renewal. I never renewed it.

I have not driven for several years now. I don’t have any plan to drive again soon. I have no idea if I ever will.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:49 pm

Why did you stop driving?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 7:47 pm

I can't drive and will never be able to learn because I have epilepsy as does my NT girlfriend.

However, we're both okay not owning cars.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2018, 8:41 am

I didn't get my driver's license until I was 33. I moved to a new location and work was 6 or 7 kilometres away, with bears around. I went to a driving school to get it. Now, 30 years later, I am still driving. I live in a small town with no rental companies. If one ever showed up here, I'd probably sell the car & save a ton of money!

But I do like to drive. I drove 200 kilometres on Monday for the heck of it. I stopped at a winery and my favourite cheese factory (10 & 6 year old cheddar & ghost pepper cheddar). I could have driven less than ½ that, but wanted to just get out on the road. I enjoy driving as it relaxes me, at least when the weather is nice. I guess the constantly changing scenery excites my brain.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2018, 8:45 am

I got my license the day I was old enough to get my license. Now I drive a 500hp car as my daily driver.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2018, 8:48 am

I don't but I wish I could. It's depressing bc I'm essentially useless without it..tired of bumming rides from coworkers all the time when my mom can't. I find the bus confusing and it takes too long to get home with it so that isn't even an option.
Ironically I took driver's ed as soon as I was legally allowed to but I'm still without one. I can't even pass the permit test anymore like I used to.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 9:02 am

Yes.
Enjoyed driving when I had learned the route and could give the driving my full attention.

Had a fantastic job some years ago driving a radio link unit around Northern Ireland to the places which made the news.

Never owned a car, on a matter of environmental principle.

My present electrician van is my Woodrup touring bicycle and alloy trailer.

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 5:44 pm

I got my license in my mid twenties, but have only driven once since then (about 15 years ago). My partner recently learnt to drive for work at age 40 so our household now has a car, but the idea of me driving terrifies me! I have very specific ideas about what kind of vehicle I would be comfortable trying to drive for some reason. And it’s not the kind we have. I will walk most places if at all possible.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 6:52 pm

I learned to drive when my father had me sit in the driver's seat and he explained the brake, clutch, gas, and shift pattern to me. He then climbed into the back of the pickup and away we went. I was maybe 12 at the time.

I've been driving ever since.

But I hate driving. If I was wealthy, I would hire a chauffeur to drive me around. Since I can't afford it, I drive.

I tend to drive well below the speed limit. If I'm in a hurry or on a really busy road, I'll drive the speed limit, but most of the time I drive about 55 to 60. I would like to drive 40 (in a 75) but I would be in too many people's way.

I would love to live somewhere where I didn't need to drive at all. Or maybe just a golf cart. Avalon, California would be an interesting place to live.

qwerwe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2018, 5:26 am

I have a driving licence, I got it in my 23 or 24. But I don't drive. I don't have car. I live in city, where is faster subway than car. For me is hard to estimate the distance and speed other cars. I have slow reactions.