You May Be NT (Whatever it means) If...

Page 2 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 4:56 pm

You May Be Neurotypical If...

... you refer to all autistic people as "Rainmen", even if they are women.

... you think the word "Assburger" is the funniest thing you've ever heard.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 5:06 pm

If you can actually get a relationship unless you happen to live outside the Bible Belt.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 5:32 pm

The expectations of what makes a functional and successful human being are built around you

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

You may be NT if:

you assume that people who are struggling socially just aren’t trying hard enough

you need social functions to feel good and have a good time

you don’t understand how people can spend so much time absorbed in quiet activities

you make friends easily

you think that people with sensory issues are just being difficult and shouldn’t be catered to

you think autism is a bad thing

you blame all a person’s struggles on their autism (if they have it)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 6:16 pm

You have never heard of Denis Istomin, but know everything about Kim Kardashian.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 6:26 pm

...if the details of social interaction are things you've "just known" your whole life.
...if you know someone on the spectrum who hates loud sounds and you make unnecessary loud sounds anyway.
...if you use a condescending tone with your child, but not their same-aged friend.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 6:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]You May Be Neurotypical If...

... you ask yourself, "Why do they use 'Neurotypical' when 'Normal' is more accurate?"

This made me laugh because I've heard it at least five times in the past week. I tried to answer, but no one was actually interested in hearing it.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 6:57 pm

Fnord, I was trying to pull one thing from your second post that hit me the most, but I can't. Every one of those is true, and made me feel sad and a bit angry that they're so true.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 8:08 pm

...you rarely have to think about what to say, and you never have to worry about whether you'll actually be able to get the words out.

...it's easy for you to find other people who share your interests.

...you assume all people with autism are good with numbers and/or technology and are fascinated by trains.

...you assume that if you know one person with autism, anyone who is not exactly identical to that person can't possibly have autism.

...you think anyone who can't meet your expectations of them simply doesn't care and/or isn't trying hard enough and refuse to listen when they try to explain that actually, they're trying their hardest.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Last edited by dragonsanddemons on 17 Jun 2019, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 8:10 pm

It's ok to tell someone with Aspergers you don't want them to have a girlfriend.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 8:11 pm

starcats wrote:
Fnord wrote:

... you ask yourself, "Why do they use 'Neurotypical' when 'Normal' is more accurate?"
This made me laugh because I've heard it at least five times in the past week. I tried to answer, but no one was actually interested in hearing it.

... you ask questions that you do not want answered, so you ignore any answers no matter how useful they may be.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 8:15 pm

IstominFan wrote:
You have never heard of Denis Istomin, but know everything about Kim Kardashian.

We have a winner

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 9:24 pm

You tell people with Aspergers to "lighten up" even though you were bullied yourself.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 3:42 am

IstominFan wrote:

I've heard both names but don't know either, what does that make me???

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 6:04 am

Joe90 wrote:

As a female NT you feel the need to dye your hair, even if your hair is already a nice colour

Was going to say that's just the straights, femmes and the right wingers but have you seen some of these 'SJWs'? Blue hair everywhere!

My mum only decided to like her hair now because she's 51 and it's still naturally brown. Bleached it all her life.
Also - as a female (especially but sometimes males too), you're a normal, perfectly healthy weight and feel the need to go on a diet.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 6:08 am

Fireblossom wrote:
IstominFan wrote:

I've heard both names but don't know either, what does that make me???

It makes you a lower risk for NT syndrome. :wink:
[√] You've heard of Denis Istomin.
[√] You don't know much/anything about Kim Kardashian.