Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 3:29 pm

Does anyone have people complain or get worried about your stimming, or specific things that you do to stim?

When some of my family members notice me stimming in general they ask if I am having anxiety, and will insist I only stim when I have anxiety, which isn't true. No matter how many times I tell them "No," they still ask me that, it sometimes gets irritating.

People also make fun of me for swaying from side-to-side, which I do without noticing, and say it distracts them or that I am being hyperactive. I probably do it more when I am feeling hyperactive (I have ADHD), but I only sway very slightly and not really fast at all.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 3:37 pm

They tell me to stop tapping or bouncing my leg.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 3:39 pm

You have mentioned something. I used to sway when I was a young child until I was told not to as I became an older child. (I would stim in other ways instead that annoyed teachers in school and others so I had to learn to stim in hidden ways instead).
I had completely forgotton about this form of stimming. I did not know it was stimming until you have just mentioned it!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 3:40 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
They tell me to stop tapping or bouncing my leg.

That one I used to do often in school or collage. Was told off often for doing it.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 3:44 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
You have mentioned something. I used to sway when I was a young child until I was told not to as I became an older child. (I would stim in other ways instead that annoyed teachers in school and others so I had to learn to stim in hidden ways instead).
I had completely forgotton about this form of stimming. I did not know it was stimming until you have just mentioned it!

I didn't think it was stimming either until I went on here and realized it's basically the same thing as rocking back-and-forth. I do that sometimes, but I sway more often. I may have started doing that more though because it's more socially acceptable than rocking, and is seen as "hyperactivity" than just being weird...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 4:37 pm

My mother used to say I looked ret*d because of my stims, and she was embarrassed to take me in public. Just about every stim that I do has been criticised by her, over time. In fact she still makes sarcastic comments or backhanded jabs about them even though we don't live together.

My flatmate in Uni told me at the end of our first year that she thought I was very weird. She pointed out a few stims and made me feel very ashamed because I didn't know she had seen any of it, or that it bothered her. She also said her first impression of me was that I was a haughty snob, because I didn't make eye contact when we were introduced. I still ruminate about it now, 34 years later.

I don't know what the general public thinks but I've given up trying to hide my stims. I took Risperidone because some of my stims were considered self-harm. My doctor agreed that stimming itself was a healthy outlet, but mine had become dangerous. The medicine did help curb some of my impulses but I had to quit because of the negative side effects. Now I just stay home and I'm grateful for the privacy of Covid.

Echolalia is equally problematic for me. I'm sure people that's even more bizarre. :(

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 4:44 pm

I will write something relating to this on a new thread, but basically I have gone through most of my life with the fear of being discovered, and part of this stems around hidden stims. The other part stems around masking.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 4:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My flatmate in Uni told me at the end of our first year that she thought I was very weird. She pointed out a few stims and made me feel very ashamed because I didn't know she had seen any of it, or that it bothered her. She also said her first impression of me was that I was a haughty snob, because I didn't make eye contact when we were introduced. I still ruminate about it now, 34 years later.

Echolalia is equally problematic for me. I'm sure people that's even more bizarre. :(

I'm sorry that you were told that. My best friend in middle school told me that she thought I was stuck up and a druggie when she first saw me, because of my lack of eye contact and my stimming. :( I understood why but I, too, think about that a lot and am upset by the fact people perceive me like that.

Echolalia and also vocal tics are very stressful, indeed. I think people get when I have tics because even if they look annoyed they don't say anything, but people don't like my echolalia and will tell me to shut up sometimes if I repeat things.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 4:51 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I will write something relating to this on a new thread, but basically I have gone through most of my life with the fear of being discovered, and part of this stems around hidden stims. The other part stems around masking.

I do a lot of my stims at home and by myself because I don't like people knowing I stim. I do some obvious stims without noticing though, and that's when people get irritated with me. Hiding my stims is part of my masking.

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2021, 5:13 pm

As far as rocking, which I do; They don't like it, and I couldn't care less, or give a damn. I don't do it to torment you, I sometimes don't even know I'm doing it, and yeah. I really don't care.

With leg shaking, I kinda don't do that as much anymore. I used to when I was younger. But again, it is what it is.

I don't care, and I'm not doing it to upset people, so I don't know.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 10:14 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I went to the right college. I was not much weirder than the average guy I roomed with. One derided me for "sleeping in a fetal position". Although, not like me, I think people found him weirder than me. Another one derided my bad eye contact "what's this" and imitating bad eye contact. I'd describe him as squirrelly, so that probably made him more accepting of weird. It was about the best I could expect in those days before the spectrum was known/accepted. When I discovered Asperger's syndrome, in a psychology book in the library, it fit like a glove. I didn't disclose my discovery to anyone and don't remember seeing any reason to.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 10:27 pm

My stims are usually whole-bodied and are too inconspicuous enough to be noticed.

If my stims are noticeable -- usually fiddling with my hair or fingers and rocking hard enough...
No one bats an eye. :lol: If they do, they'd leave me alone.
If not and they just stare, I'd stare at them back.

Depending how rude they are, I'd be rude at them too.

Only a few ever fully remarked about me fiddling stuff.

The last time was at college -- some student I forgot, simply say I just do 'that'.
Implying I'm shy or quiet and not rowdy or being humble or something.
While I simply looked at this person for a second, shruged, said nothing and just looked back down, continuing what I was doing it. :lol: And left me alone with it.

And the last time I went and be full out noticeable -- rocking on a chair, no less -- was on a weekly meeting, in a guise of trying to make myself awake. :lol:
Of course it came to an end around half way the meeting and told me to walk around instead.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 10:51 pm

Offset wrote:
I don't do it to torment you, I sometimes don't even know I'm doing it, and yeah. I really don't care.

This is kind of my feelings when people complain about me stimming, since most of the things I do in public are not overly annoying and aren't intentional. If anyone is distracted by certain things it's honestly their problem and not mine... I have noticed people do stim-like things before, and even if it distracts me I don't say anything because being distracted is my fault and doesn't override other people's need for comfort.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 11:08 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
No one bats an eye. :lol: If they do, they'd leave me alone.
If not and they just stare, I'd stare at them back.

Depending how rude they are, I'd be rude at them too.

Only a few ever fully remarked about me fiddling stuff.

I think I managed to be more assertive when I was a kid and had less self awareness. I can't tell people off now because I don't want to seem rude, but I certainly told other kids to "F off" for making fun of my stimming and was rude then. :oops:

Sometimes I do manage to glare back at people now, though. :lol:

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 11:15 pm

The people who matter don't care, and those that care don't matter.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 11:42 pm

I am unsure if this is a stim or not but I tend to keep it away from the general public as it can tend to look a bit odd, although I have done it around partners or people I have lived with in the past:

I basically rub a silky peice of material that I long ago (as a very very young child) named my 'tickle'.

I rub it between my fingers, i rub it against my arm, neck, face, leg, foot, shoulders etc.

I don't just do it when I am anxious, I will do it when I am sat at my desk thinking, I will rub the lining of coat when I am out walking if I don't have a tickle with me, I won't go to sleep without one most nights (I was worse when I was younger and would search the whole house for it at night time if i could not find it) and so on and so forth.

I don't know if I have any or any other stims as I am not sure if something counts as a stim or not.