"Graveyard shift"-style 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Inconsistent / don't care 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Don't know 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2021, 4:58 pm

Do you prefer to wake up earlier, later or about the same time as most people normally do? How much do you normally sleep? Do you get to sleep according to your preferred hours? If your sleep hours are different from most other people's, what do you believe is/are the reason/s?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:09 pm

I go to sleep around 12-2 AM, and wake up around 8-10 AM lately. I'd like to wake up a bit earlier, but I can't get to sleep earlier than 12 AM. I think my circadian rhythm is a little delayed, and that it's been like this my entire life.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:36 pm

I guess earlier than most because I'd prefer to maximize the amount of sunlight I can take advantage of. But I don't decide when I want to wake up according to what other people do, so the comparison kind of doesn't make sense.

For years now I've been getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep on my best days. Some days, I don't sleep at all. I cannot sleep when I want to; if I go to be before 2 AM, I'll be awake all night. I'm always to tired too get up when I want to, even though I cannot fall asleep while I'm lying there.

Taking vitamin D3 has improved my sleep almost immediately, so I'm guessing that insufficient d3 intake is my problem. I watched a neurologist on youtube lecture about poor sleep, how she treated her patients, and the results, and what she described matches my experience, so that's another reason I'm confident that d3 is the issue.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2021, 6:22 pm

starkid wrote:
I guess earlier than most because I'd prefer to maximize the amount of sunlight I can take advantage of. But I don't decide when I want to wake up according to what other people do, so the comparison kind of doesn't make sense.

I phrased it that way because I've read from many sources that there actually is a strong correlation between genetics and preferred sleep hours, and doctors recommend people with (naturally-)unusual sleep hours to stick to their natural tendency if possible.

I generally go to sleep at 4:00-4:30 and wake up at 12:00-12:30. I had very serious issues with poor sleep throughout all the periods of my life when I was required to wake up early. It seems like I've inherited this night owl tendency from my father. He has a very similar sleep schedule.

I wonder though if there isn't also a psychological component to it. Being so out of sync with other people makes it easier for me to enjoy some quiet/alone time.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 6:26 pm

I work nights, so going to bed at midnight is too early for me, usually I go to bed between 2 and 3am. I usually get up around midday, but sometimes before, depending on how much sleep my body wants. My sleep pattern varies each night, which is why I gave up having jobs where I have to get up and start early in the morning.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 6:35 pm

I go to bed very late just before dawn, usually. I love darkness and I don't want to miss any of it. I usually sleep for about five hours before the sun wakes me up but I wish I could sleep longer.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 7:12 pm

threetoed snail wrote:
starkid wrote:

I phrased it that way because I've read from many sources that there actually is a strong correlation between genetics and preferred sleep hours, and doctors recommend people with (naturally-)unusual sleep hours to stick to their natural tendency if possible.

I understand. Psychologically, I'd prefer to get up relatively early, but, physiologically, I've always felt best as a night owl, getting up late morning or very early afternoon.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:05 pm

The PTSD ruined my circadian rhythm and my moods suffered from insufficient sleep. I was afraid to sleep more than absolutely necessary for a while, and that set a bad habit. By getting pretty regular with meal times and otherwise make it a priority, I've managed to sleep more regularly and longer. I have always been a night-owl, though. There are fewer interruptions, and the people who are about are more eccentric than the day people.

When I was working at a research lab, I wrote the slogan for our newsletter header: "In order to work on tomorrow's technology today, we get up 20 hours before everyone else."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:16 pm

I sleep from 11 to 6 during the week and 10 to 6 on the weekend.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2021, 9:22 pm

A few times throughout my 20s I tried to use sunlight as a natural alarm clock. Each time, the first two or three days felt great, but then I started to have gradually more and more of the same kinds of symptoms I have when I don't sleep at all. Each time, about one week into it, I had to cancel the experiment because it felt like I was downright going crazy.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:26 pm

threetoed snail wrote:
A few times throughout my 20s I tried to use sunlight as a natural alarm clock. Each time, the first two or three days felt great, but then I started to have gradually more and more of the same kinds of symptoms I have when I don't sleep at all. Each time, about one week into it, I had to cancel the experiment because it felt like I was downright going crazy.

I have seeds growing on my windowsill now, so I keep the blinds lifted a bit at night. I noticed the same thing where waking up to sunlight felt great and natural, but now a week in I hate it. :lol:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:33 pm

Up here, dawn can arrive between 4:20 and 9:20 AM. I don't go by that.
Around age 20, I was only sleeping three or four times a week. I liked finishing a project in one go, because if I slept on it, I'd have more ideas about how to do it better for the same price.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:36 pm

threetoed snail wrote:
If your sleep hours are different from most other people's, what do you believe is/are the reason/s?

There is no belief involved in the reason, either historically or presently, it is a known fact.

Historically the reason my sleep hours were different, when they were, was because I worked nights.

Presently the reason is medical, an effect of a constellation of neurological, endocrine, mitochondrial, and the new neurologist expects autoimmune is in there too, diseases.

GreenRanger06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2021, 9:44 pm

My wake up hours vary depending on when I went to sleep and if I wore my cpap or not. I would LIKE to wake up at like 5:30-6 everyday.

If I wear my cpap I wake up at like 5 but if not it could be 7 or 8.

I wake up MOST of the time around 7:00 on the dot.. which is the same time I woke up as a kid to go to school lol

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:50 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Up here, dawn can arrive between 4:20 and 9:20 AM. I don't go by that.
Around age 20, I was only sleeping three or four times a week. I liked finishing a project in one go, because if I slept on it, I'd have more ideas about how to do it better for the same price.

Dawn has been happening at around 6 AM lately, and will probably happen around 4 AM by the summer here.

When I was 12-16 I could stay up all night to do assignments and feel mostly fine. I'm only 20 now and if I did that for multiple days I think I'd go crazy...

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:54 pm

GreenRanger06 wrote:
I wake up MOST of the time around 7:00 on the dot.. which is the same time I woke up as a kid to go to school lol

When I started online high school at 15 I still woke up at 5:30 AM (when I got up for school) until the past couple of years. A lot of trimesters I don't even have class sessions until 10 AM...