"Graveyard shift"-style 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Inconsistent / don't care 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Don't know 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 10:07 pm

Ahh, the good old days. I also used to have the ability to wake up at any time I wanted, even on short sleep. I'd just check the time and "set my head" before lights out.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2021, 10:56 pm

I instead used to have the ability to turn off three separate alarm clocks in different corners of my room and only wake up hours later, struggling to understand what happened. :lol:

Another "ability" I used to have for a while was hitting the snooze button every ten minutes for several hours without fully waking up.

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2021, 5:34 am

I answered "inconsistent" because of my work schedule and balancing it with my family schedule. My work week is Wednesday night through Saturday night. On Sunday (today) after I get home, I'll be with my daughter for several hours and give my wife a little time for herself. I'll go to bed sometime between 2 and 3pm, but then will get up at around 6pm and be with my family for a bit, go to bed around midnight. Monday and Tuesday I'm normally awake from about 6am until about midnight. Wednesday, I will go to bed about 3pm and will get up at 9:30ish to get ready for work, and that's my sleep schedule for work nights (3pm-9:30am.) My circadian flips twice a week, which would probably drive some people crazy, but it works okay for me. I've been doing a very similar schedule for over 10 years now. If I had the ability to do it and still have time with my family, I'd be up all night every night and sleep probably 2pm-8pmish or 3pm-9pmish. 6 hours seems to be the proper amount of sleep for me, I'm super tired if I get less, and strangely enough I'm also super tired if I get very much more than that. A few weeks ago, I fell asleep at about 9pm on Sunday, didn't wake up until 7am, and felt weird and crappy all day.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 5:53 am

Inconsistent. All over the place. In sync cycles that won't last a week and occasionally in non-24 hour cycles.

It didn't matter if I had work or not.
I may end up sleeping too early or too late, waking up too late or too early. Sleeping in 3 or 12 hours.

Didn't mattered anymore.
If I was too entertained at night until morning.
Or that I worked a little too hard I got home straight at bed.
Or had consumed something that simply prevented me to go to sleep.
Or had been physically unable to sleep whether or not I'm too tired for it.
Or an attempt on a routine, only to be cut short ​because I was too hormonal to bother with it.

I don't know.
I honestly had enough. I do not mind a lot of change of plans and days of everything happening outside of me.
But my internal systems are too sensitive enough to change all too often. :x

Everytime I sleep was like some funny gamble; if I win a jackpot, I'd be functional 100%. Even if it's just 3 hours of that, it's enough for a whole day!
If not, it's all the issues all over again as if I was unable to learn a damn thing. Might as well wasted 12 hours of my life, lying on the bed with nothing to gain but more exhaustion and frustration ahead of the day.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2021, 12:00 am

Huh, I didn't really know what exactly to expect, but I didn't expect "inconsistent" would be the most voted option.

My sleep hours used to be very inconsistent (though usually somewhere in between "night owl" and "graveyard shift"). Keeping my sleep stable (or as stable as possible) has been one of my top concerns in recent years. It's an eternal uphill battle.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 12:04 am

Yeah, I had a good day Saturday, so I stayed up a little bit to enjoy it more, and I've had near chaos since. It does not help that when I need an extra nap, there may be noise preventing it. If I have to stay awake for 4 hours of noise, it takes me another four hours to trust that the noise has stopped, and by then, it is often too late to avoid another clash.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 6:41 am

I've been wonky sleep girl since I was about 15, if not earlier. It's all over the place and sleep hygiene techniques do not work, neither do medications for reasons I don't have time to go into.

I am used to it, I just wish the world would accept it.