Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2021, 1:41 am

I don’t mean social skills I mean language skills?

When you are talking about your interest or with your family?

Are you an Aspergers?

How are your language skills?

Do you know hypnosis?

Last edited by Technic1 on 18 Apr 2021, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 1:57 am

I have aspergers.

Are we talking about one's mother tongue or other languages? Both? In my mother tongue, I can hold a conversation just fine, but sometimes I mix words and forget to say something that I had planned to ad, plus I stutter a lot when having to explain something, so I'd say my language skills aren't the best. Also, when it comes to speaking English, I haven't had much practice, so I probably spell things the wrong way a lot.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2021, 2:00 am

Own language and other languages please?

Mostly own language?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 3:36 am

I speak better with my mother tongue.
I read and write better with English.

Average... At best.
Even if I'm bilingual, and can be even more had my choices and circumstances were different.

It's an inherent issue I have around verbal thinking, and therefore directly affecting language/s; comprehension and communication.

Which is a bit ironic to a typical aspie, which usually have better language skills.
I actually don't -- yet for some funny reason, I still pass for Aspergers only because I do not have speech delay.

My usual expressions of special interests are mostly nonverbal. Little bit of theory, a bit of hoarding and more hands on practice.
My family or anyone can only mostly see what my interests are. :lol:
I don't ever talk about it much to anyone.

Hypnosis? There are other variations of hypnosis.

If it's about a form of persuasion, I'm too suspicious or apathethic for that.
If it's about focus based daily living activities, I can be either voluntarily for relaxation purposes or involuntarily by being too distracted.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2021, 5:03 am

What’s the difference between aspies with language skills in their own language?

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 12:21 pm

Technic1 wrote:
What’s the difference between aspies with language skills in their own language?

English is just a secondary language for me and I'm not at all perfect at it. If it come to German than I can use it a lot easier and in a much more nonchalant way because I'm a lot more aware of words and grammar.
But aspies are pretty differently if it comes to their language skills. They usually read more in childhood or learn more from TV and use more scientific expressions and uncommon words and a more educated language than most NTs. Most aspies understand slang and hints too and get also the nonverbal stuff except the ones who are really very much on the spectrum. If it comes to language I'm nearly NT except that people in real life can't guess where I'm from as easily.
HFAs have often a lot more problems if it comes to language especially if it comes to realizing emotions in intonation and getting indirectness or hints. But not even few NTs struggle with language a little bit too.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 12:33 pm

Technic1 wrote:
I don’t mean social skills I mean language skills?

I have two modes, slow and awkward speech (sometimes stutter), or lightning speed. If the latter, I can talk most people under a rock, given I feel confident enough to do it.

Technic1 wrote:
When you are talking about your interest or with your family?

Yeah, when it's about one of my interests, I've been told it's hard to stop me. :lol:
With my family though, over the years I have learned the value in taking time to ask them questions and listen too. Some of them are a lot quieter than I am, and have interesting things to say if I get them the air time to say them. That was really hard for me to learn how to do effectively.

Technic1 wrote:
Are you an Aspergers?

Dunno. I don't think they diagnose people with that exact term anymore.

Technic1 wrote:
How are your language skills?

I apparently began speaking earlier than normal as a baby, but my development in that area stalled out at some point and I needed speech therapy by the time I was 3 to 6 years old. As an adult, I'd say I'm fairly talkative. I'd say my issues are usually about knowing when not to say something.

Technic1 wrote:
Do you know hypnosis?

What does that have to do with anything else on this list?
Do you mean know what it is? how it works? have experienced it? can I hypnotize someone else?
I don't know how to answer that.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 2:29 pm

I'm ok.
I put a crapload of work in my teens to learn spelling and grammar, because I was ashamed of how bad I was.
I'd say I'm fairly fluent in English too, but the accent is all around the place nowadays.
French, German, and Chinese are so-so, I can get around but I'd like to know more.
I can control myself pretty good when talking about my interests, I sometimes wish that some NTs at work would have a better control of themselves...
Aspergers, yes, or as it is labeled today autism level 1.

/Mats

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2021, 4:51 pm

Not sure if this qualifies as language ability, I have problems with words in general. This problem gets worse when I'm stressed. When I say words in general, I can look at an object and not know what it is called. An every day object that I may use every day, and not know what it is called. I will start calling out the objects function, what it does, what it looks like, etc.. All in hopes the person that I am talking to can figure it out for me. Names of people can be even worse. Actions/verbs often get substituted with a whistle or sound effect and a hand gesture.

Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2021, 9:29 pm

In terms of non-native languages, I speak English, French and Japanese.
I don't need to study to learn a language, I just use a dictionary sometimes to look up words.

Since I don't live in the UK anymore my English has somewhat deteriorated. I took a TOEFL test in 2010 and that came out at 115/120 (no studying, preparation, etc.). In uni I frequently outwrote native speakers in the essay dept.

My French is terrible. Don't ask me about my French.

My Japanese is good enough. I use it all the time at work (nobody speaks English).

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2021, 5:10 am

I have heard that the way some children speak makes them seem like little Einstein’s?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 6:12 am

FallingDownMan wrote:
Not sure if this qualifies as language ability, I have problems with words in general. This problem gets worse when I'm stressed. When I say words in general, I can look at an object and not know what it is called. An every day object that I may use every day, and not know what it is called. I will start calling out the objects function, what it does, what it looks like, etc.. All in hopes the person that I am talking to can figure it out for me. Names of people can be even worse. Actions/verbs often get substituted with a whistle or sound effect and a hand gesture.

I have the same issue as well. :lol: Added with language comprehension issues.

I'm just well compensated with pattern recognition and bits of association/cognitive leaps.

Otherwise, words are just a bunch of noise tones/strokes and shapes sounds/symbols with little meaning.
Sentences are basically nested patterns of certain order. :lol:

Let's just say I don't truly read (only encode/decode, with apparent usage of bigger vocabularies -- but that's just an illusion) nor able to appreciate anything to do with it until I was 14.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2021, 11:44 pm

Technic1 wrote:
I have heard that the way some children speak makes them seem like little Einstein’s?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2021, 3:12 am

What are Aspergers good and bad at linguistically???

Verbosity?
Tone?
Pitch?
Syntax?
Vocabulary?
Context?
Language learning at an adult age.
Ect...(!?!)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 4:31 am

My language is pretty normal. But my vocabulary isn't that great, as I'm not great at explaining things but not bad enough to notice or affect my communication.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 6:21 am

I learned to read early and always had an unusually broad vocabulary for my age growing up. I think this is because I had a lot of experiences growing up where I felt that I was being misunderstood or not believed and I wanted to have exactly the right words available to me to minimise the chances of it happening.

I don't talk much generally, I much prefer to write. This is partly becasue I don't like it when I talk to (at) someone for ages about the garden follies of 19th century financier Whittaker Wright and then I later realise that they most likely couldn't give a crap and I bored them.