17 Jun 2021, 3:25 pm

they seem to be obsessed with worthiness

I just wanna have fun..

cue Cindy Lauper...

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2021, 5:10 pm

Hard to say, because I don't know what a typical neurotypical is like, being such a diverse group, and I know even less about how it feels to be one.

I don't prefer having the executive disfunction of ASD to not having it. But I value some aspects of my thinking style and attitude that are probably due to ASD. To some extent I like being able to concentrate and analyse things abnormally intensely, and my sense of detachment from mainstream values and ideology. I like my contempt for the kind of society in which there's a set of unstated rules, a pecking order, and little commitment to being inclusive. I like being relatively free of self-serving bias and the Dunning-Kruger effect. I suppose it's a little bit like being a spiritual type, pursuing a different, "higher" plane, though objectively I wouldn't say it was higher, just different, and to me, preferable. I like the sense of fascination I get from discovering little bits of off-the-beaten-track knowledge. I like having an alternative sense of what beauty is. I have some liking for my attitude to authority and "alpha types." I'm glad I've remained rather childlike. To a degree I like my disdain for dishonesty. I like being relatively free of the hive mind.

Of course I'm also aware of some downsides too that I don't prefer at all, and I can't be certain that all those things are entirely down to ASD, but I think most of them at least owe a passing nod to the condition.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 4:42 am

No. I want to be neurotypical.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jun 2021, 4:51 am

Being autistic did not protect me from having a fragile ego.
Maturing helped.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2021, 5:09 am

Being Autistic isn't so bad. It's having to live in a world dominated by Neurotypicals that's the problem.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 6:58 pm

I prefer the way I am regardless of what others think or feel about me.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 7:02 pm

I like the way I am.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:04 pm

I prefer titles that finish the question.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 9:30 pm

I don't know, I was never not autistic....so I don't really have anything else to compare it to.

ct507
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2021, 9:51 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Being Autistic isn't so bad. It's having to live in a world dominated by Neurotypicals that's the problem.

Agreed, though it seems more doable to be autistic now than ever before. Still, that doesn't make what has to be done easy given how neurotypical the world remains.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 10:00 pm

magz wrote:
Being autistic did not protect me from having a fragile ego.
Maturing helped.

This. Failing to mature hasn't helped. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 11:05 pm

Not really sure how much is autism and how much is other stuff, as other people have said, I can’t know which I’d prefer because I’ve never known what it’s like to not be autistic, but I can say that I am entirely unsuited to the society I’m forced to live in. As such, in this society I would rather be able to function, live, or possibly even thrive just like most people. But a large part of it is that I am not a social creature by nature, which strongly conflicts with the “typical” ways of living. If I was actually in the proper environment, I probably would be perfectly happy as I am.

I have severe social anxiety/phobia despite (or maybe because of, in my case, at least) being autistic, I am hyperaware of others’ judgement and criticisms of me, and my worth (or lack thereof) as far as they’re concerned. A significant part of my ongoing depression is feeling like I’m nothing but a burden to anyone.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2021, 11:25 pm

I don't mind being autistic, though I know nothing else other than what it's like to be like this. I also don't know if I "prefer" it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 12:34 am

I'd rather be autistic. I find many typical types to be intolerant of anybody different from themselves.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 4:47 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd rather be autistic. I find many typical types to be intolerant of anybody different from themselves.

Good for you, as your one of the most honorable persons here on Wrong Planet