Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 4:24 am

Dear_one wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Yes, except horses. They're skittish weirdos.

Horses communicate by relative body positions. The few who master it amaze even lifelong horse owners, yet it is not complicated to learn.

Yes Monty Roberts was amazing.

I only had a handful of riding lessons and got a different horse each time which put me off.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:03 am

Some of my neighbours keep horses.

Once a family friend came up with her horse which was a hig horse and she wanted me to have a go at riding it. After trying to get on and falling over the other side much to the amusement of the horse and its owner, I finally got to sit on the horse, but I had a very concerned owner and horse when I tried to ride it.
I was told "Let go of his ears!" while I and the horse were in panic and I was saying "Where are the brakes? Where are its handlebars?"

I wasn't allowed another go. I guess I am too used to riding bicycles.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:22 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Once a family friend came up with her horse which was a hig horse and she wanted me to have a go at riding it. After trying to get on and falling over the other side much to the amusement of the horse and its owner, I finally got to sit on the horse, but I had a very concerned owner and horse when I tried to ride it.
I was told "Let go of his ears!" while I and the horse were in panic and I was saying "Where are the brakes? Where are its handlebars?"

Did you fill up the tires on the horse first .

it is good to know you can amuse the horse. :D loolz

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:39 am

Jakki wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Did you fill up the tires on the horse first .

it is good to know you can amuse the horse. :D loolz

They smile and laugh as they neigh! :D

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:52 am

Dogs don't respond well to being treated like babies. If you appreciate their intelligence, they love being able to help you. I had a big Alsatian/lab that never needed a leash nor a word spoken on a walk. On a residential street, he'd stay in the same block with me. In a commercial area, he'd be within 3 meters, and if I went into a department store or government building, he'd heel perfectly, never once getting us hassled. If I was going out and couldn't take him, about half an hour before I was going to leave, he'd lay down under the kitchen table and not stir, but if I was going to take him, about ten minutes before I decided to put on my coat, he'd move to the door mat. The only time I could surprise him was if I was just going for a walk, not an errand. We would get to the sidewalk, and I'd stop and look at him. He'd jump up and spin around, and choose a direction, leading the way and ranging around, but never outpacing me. When I wanted to return, I'd just stop following, and he'd lead us home another way. His knowledge of the area was amazing - he always found more interesting walks than I could.
The only reason I don't have a dog now is because I've seen the world population triple, and humans and domestic animals now outweigh all the wild species combined by 5:1. Feeding a dog starves a fox or a child.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:41 pm

Cats are terrific - yet nice dogs are a favorite too! Cats and dogs can be a good icebreaker regarding small-talk.

How many feel that awesome pets can be that icebreaker regarding the Autism Spectrum?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 3:52 pm

After a couple of years with that dog, every other person I met already knew and liked my dog.
BTW, pretending to throw a ball to fetch is in the dogs' "Only Funny ONCE!" category. If your dog is ignoring you, they are feeling abused. A lot of people try to keep pets in situations that just are just traumatic for an animal.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 6:55 pm

only if served with horseradish sauce ......... :wink:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 7:07 pm

Jakki wrote:
only if served with horseradish sauce ......... :wink:

We are not horsing around here! Neigh!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 7:39 pm

Oooppss sorry MountainGoat.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:07 pm

Jakki wrote:
Oooppss sorry MountainGoat.

It was a joke.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:22 pm

I would say I have an affinity for them yes. I typically get along better with them than I do with people; they're easier to be friends with anyway.

I've cared for and worked with various kinds but my main knowledge base in horses and cats. So they are the ones I mesh best with.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:27 pm

Is it possible to find a way to mount handlebars on a horse to have something to hold onto and brakes that if one pulls them, they turn on a pre-recorded voice that says "Woah!"? As when I tried a horse, I could not switch off "Bicycle" in my brain.
Holding onto the horses ears and squeezing them in attempts to get it to stop does not really work as the horse kinda starts to run instead of stop.

So I was thinking if someone can invent some sort of handlebar interface device between the horse and the cyclist rider, a cyclist could get used to riding a horse.
Maybe when one turns the handlebars, it pulls on the string things and the horse knows that it needs to turn?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:36 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Is it possible to find a way to mount handlebars on a horse to have something to hold onto and brakes that if one pulls them, they turn on a pre-recorded voice that says "Woah!"? As when I tried a horse, I could not switch off "Bicycle" in my brain.
Holding onto the horses ears and squeezing them in attempts to get it to stop does not really work as the horse kinda starts to run instead of stop.

So I was thinking if someone can invent some sort of handlebar interface device between the horse and the cyclist rider, a cyclist could get used to riding a horse.

You hold on with your legs, although a western style saddle has a hand hold available. Your hands belong on the reins, which combine the functions of accelerator, brake, and steering wheel.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:39 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

You hold on with your legs, although a western style saddle has a hand hold available. Your hands belong on the reins, which combine the functions of accelerator, brake, and steering wheel.

The reigns (That is the word I was looking for when I said "Stringy things") are not in a fixed position so I can't use them to hold onto the horse. I had nothing to stop my whole body flopping forwards, backwards or sideways. It was scary!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 8:42 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
The reigns (That is the word I was looking for when I said "Stringy things") are not in a fixed position so I can't use them to hold onto the horse. I had nothing to stop my whole body flopping forwards, backwards or sideways. It was scary!

Given that your legs are locked to the horse, you use your waist muscles to control your torso. Maybe try practising on a mechanical horse first?