Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 1:31 am

I can understand that somebody with a lot of followers could rightly be called an elite. That's how a lot of the world looks at it. Many of them even admire it. I don't admire it much, but I don't try to ignore the fact that some folks appear more popular than I am. I see nothing odd about firemonkey's comments. Just saying.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:26 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I can understand that somebody with a lot of followers could rightly be called an elite. That's how a lot of the world looks at it. Many of them even admire it. I don't admire it much, but I don't try to ignore the fact that some folks appear more popular than I am. I see nothing odd about firemonkey's comments. Just saying.

Thats beside the point. Its that it matters to him so much that he seems to be upset about it (you admit yourself that it does NOT matter to you).

Also it fallacious reasoning. Why would aspies be any more equal in popularity than NTs are anyway?

Why would you assume that there would be more equality in popularity among autistics than there would be among the general population?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 4:50 am

I haven’t made too much of a “connection” with about 497 out of my 500 Facebook “friends.”

I don’t find that the ability to make online “connections” equates necessarily with the ability to connect with actual people.

Usually, Facebook friends are actually “friends of friends of friends”— or something like that.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 5:34 am

The replies have made me realise that I need to consider whether this is a healthy forum for me to participate in. Will go into lurk mode.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 6:02 am

I hope I didn’t upset you.

I just don’t feel that somebody who can obtain a few thousand followers on Twitter necessarily is “elite” in any substantive sense.

That’s my take on it. It’s only my opinion.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:33 pm

firemonkey wrote:
The replies have made me realise that I need to consider whether this is a healthy forum for me to participate in. Will go into lurk mode.

I do not understand this response.

You were upset that someone else on Twitter has more followers than you.

Everyone on this thread reassures you that the number of followers you have doesnt mean squat, so dont worry about it.

But instead of being happy to be reassured...you are upset about being reassured.

Why is being ressurred a problem for you?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 6:09 pm

a)You seemed to be annoyed with me.
b)I wasn't upset about the amount of followers. It's just that her situation re handling her notifications due to thousands of followers wasn't one I could identify with.
c) 'High profile' is probably a better choice of words than 'elitist'. More than a few have been interviewed in the media, several times, about neurodiversity.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 6:13 pm

You have a track record of griping about things like not getting enough responses to your original posts. So I just assumed that this was more of the same.

Sorry if I sound annoyed.

But -yes- some folks get more followers than others. But you seem to think that folks who are diagnosed the same as you should have the same number of followers on twitter as you. Which seems like a silly assumption to me. They may have been on twitter longer than you, and they maybe involved with more causes, and social groups than you, and this all generates folks following them.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 15 Sep 2021, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Usually, Facebook friends are actually “friends of friends of friends”— or something like that.

Most Facebook users have more friends of friends of friends they barely know in their friends list than the people they actually know personally. But when it comes to me, most of the time friends of friends of friends reject my friend request, even if they know who I am and have about 500 friends in their Facebook friends list that they couldn't possibly all know personally are probably just friends of friends of friends. But I suppose when it comes to me, the rules change. :roll:

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 7:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
You have a track record of griping about things like not getting enough responses to your original posts. So I just assumed that this was more of the same.

Sorry if I sound annoyed.

But -yes- some folks get more followers than others. But you seem to think that folks who are diagnosed the same as you should have the same number of followers on twitter as you. Which seems like a silly assumption to me. They may have been on twitter longer than you, and they maybe involved with more causes, and social groups than you, and this all generates folks following them.

I tend to do better with the political interaction on Twitter. Also interacting with some mental health professionals. I far from think they should have the same amount of followers due to having the same dx. That is not something I've directly said or implied.They tend to be very much more confident and extrovert than me, but with much more of a group speak mentality . I tend to wait to be followed, and then follow back. I'm not at all good at taking the initiative.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 7:05 pm

I'm going to be honest:

I'd rather have less followers than more followers.

The more followers you have, the more potential is there for the existence of trolls within your "follow-hood."

As it stands now, I have zero followers on Twitter (I don't use Twitter, even though I'm technically a member of it).

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 3:35 am

The biggest bugbear for me is lack of responses,rather than lack of followers. It tends to remind me of the social rejection I experienced in my teens. The percentage of friends/followers that regularly interact with me on FB/ and or Twitter is very low.

IRL I've always been quite asocial from a very young age. That has been further affected by periodic less than successful attempts to socially interact with others,because having a good social network is promoted as a sign of good mental health. Even before Covid I'd given up trying to interact f2f with others on a social level, beyond doing so with my (s) family here in Wiltshire.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 3:46 am

If I may ask, how active are you at responding to other Aspies online when they post content? Whether it be this site, or Facebook, or Twitter.

I ask because, oftentimes, if I have nothing to say, I don't respond. (Personally, most of what I do post here or anywhere is for myself. If others get something out of it and want to respond, great. If not, I'm not looking to be popular).

Point is, if you yourself don't respond to many folks because you feel you have nothing to add, perhaps they're the same way. Nothing personal. Just that there's nothing they can think to reply.

Now, if you respond to tons of people, and don't receive the same response for your content, it's a different story. Which is your scenario? You've talked about people responding to the popular folks, but not to you, but never specified to whom you respond or how often. This is not an attack of any kind. Honest question.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 5:20 am

I'm not great at responding to other aspies , but I'm not terrible at doing so. I do make some effort to join in Aspie/ASD related threads,on Twitter, but it tends to fall on deaf ears.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:31 am

firemonkey wrote:
a)You seemed to be annoyed with me.
b)I wasn't upset about the amount of followers. It's just that her situation re handling her notifications due to thousands of followers wasn't one I could identify with.
c) 'High profile' is probably a better choice of words than 'elitist'. More than a few have been interviewed in the media, several times, about neurodiversity.

Seems to me that one or two people are reading things into your comments - things that you never said. I don't know why they think they know how you feel.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2021, 10:50 am

Responses? I can think of several --

Standout in ways people can comprehend. It can be well thought, it can be base breaking, or it can be thought provoking.
Which is tricky, if one is bad at responding. Not also easy if one has no writing charm nor an established reputation.
Even less easy, if one doesn't know the social atmosphere or the entirety of the community context.

But otherwise, have a follow up -- or follow up someone else's. A joint answer. It is good for support convos.

Or, god forbid, being provocative.
Unless this is your true expression (usually consists of extremists, trolls, some 'contrarians', or being overly passionate).
I would never recommend. Very prominent in toxic spaces. But no surprises if such is the case in highly political spaces.

Being a 'contrarian' -- which I dub for responses who do not match the majority of the usual responses.
It's kinda like anti conforming in a single thread or session. They can be original, they can also be intentional. The authentic ones are usually being original.
.. Just do it as long as it is how you genuinely see or thought it.
At best it is a unique view or expression that may be obscured from others thought, which is indeed thought provoking.
At worst, it can turn someone into a pariah.
So YMMV.

Being 'first'. :lol: Not recommended.
Unless your time is heavily invested in monitoring every posts and responses.

Not being passive. Or establish the fact that your channel is very, very open. Being engaging.
Except you exclude yourself of this trait.

I know how to profile 'high profile' accounts...
I thought this is about profiling such individuals. If that helps.

I don't do political reviews. I suck at politics in general. So I can't name names, or become some critic. :lol: I can't help with that area.

As for feeling irrelevant or ignored -- I had remarked something like that in another thread of yours.

Also, in terms of being misread -- this I completely sympathize.
I can go on with more than being misreaded because it is a two way thing.
Not really just in offensive ways, but in a more confusing way that I'm certain even I wouldn't respond to whatever I had expressed either if I read it myself.
I wouldn't truly know if my words are... Always comprehendible. And the other way around too -- if I did comprehended someone else's. :lol: So I post for fun.

But this particular bit enters the domain of language and verbal abilities itself and it's effects -- which is more or less of my focus in observation -- than, say, social dynamics or behaviors, 'psychology', or communication itself.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.