Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 11:12 am

Which community do you prefer? I think WP if you avoid certain sections is a nicer place. It's also better for newly diagnosed people who need support and validation. To me r/aspergers is more harsh. They're more likely to question your diagnosis, which I personally appreciate. I also like how people there like on the rest of Reddit are more solution oriented than support oriented.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 12:53 pm

I felt someone on there was rude to me because my story wasn't female aspie enough for her and she assumed I was self diagnosed. I'm not. Also no one wants to be told they are normal when they are struggling. It's like telling a cancer patient they are fine and there is nothing wrong with them. I am sure they wouldn't appreciate that when they are having these bizarre health symptoms and chronic pain that never goes away.

As for questioning diagnoses, I think that is rude because I see it as a form of gaslighting unless they are questioning their own and they ask for your opinion.

But I notice they frown upon a self diagnoses while here people accept the self diagnosed. But anyone is welcome to post at both places. Yes people are more harsher there but they see reality more and will remind anyone who is suspecting they have autism that autism is a disability, not a quirk, not a difference, it's a disability and limits your functioning day to day life. They totally make the high functioning ones sound like they don't have it because of the way they go about how this isn't a disability and it's a difference and their problems are caused by society. If you feel insecured about yourself, I wouldn't go there because you might get hurt by the comments and feel you are not autistic enough to be valid.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 2:44 pm

Sounds like a club for bitter low functioning autistics who hate....NTs, AND also hate HFA's/aspies. And they also hate the self diagnosed.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2017, 3:11 pm

This makes me wonder how many people think they have autism only to not be diagnosed with it. I see where that happens a lot with physical illnesses, but I wonder about autism. It seems like the doctors almost WANT you to self-diagnosis these days, with all the autism awareness and signs, symptoms, tests. Also, autism has these strange specific things associated with it. To me it seems quite obvious when someone has it. Do these symptoms really occur altogether in other mental illnesses/disabilities? I think for a lot of us the first step is probably self-diagnosis or a parent diagnosis, then confirmation by a professional. So to throw out people that are self-diagnosed is just premature.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 2:35 am

What are other autistic Reddit communities (besides r/Aspergers) like?

I haven't been on Reddit at all until just today. I've put together a list of "sub-reddits" that appear to be for autistic adults. I would be interested in comments anyone here has about any of these Reddit communities.

My general thought about Reddit communities, so far, is that they appear to be a lot less flexible than old-fashioned message boards like WP. For example, as far as I can tell, they can't be divided up into sub-forums.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 11:16 am

I'm far too old school for all that Reddit stuff. I'll stick to what I know.

Saying that though I'd probably enjoy it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 11:39 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
What are other autistic Reddit communities (besides r/Aspergers) like?

I haven't been on Reddit at all until just today. I've put together a list of "sub-reddits" that appear to be for autistic adults. I would be interested in comments anyone here has about any of these Reddit communities.

My general thought about Reddit communities, so far, is that they appear to be a lot less flexible than old-fashioned message boards like WP. For example, as far as I can tell, they can't be divided up into sub-forums.

There is r/neurodiversity and that one is pretty good I think, people seem pretty nice there and haven't really seen any gate-keeping type stuff on there. Thing with reddit is all the sub-reddits are different some are a lot less flexible than a place like this and some aren't like that at all.

I personally like reddit since there is a subreddit for everything, even though there are a lot of bad subreddits I don't like to go anywhere near.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 2:34 pm

I honestly like r/aspergers now because there is no autism supremacy and people there call out any BS on those who try and use it as an excuse. There was a thread by someone asking about people getting mad at them for honesty and others were like "Just because you are autistic doesn't mean you can't learn" and also calling out if they mean like saying mean things and mentioning people who talk about being honest are usually just as*holes.

I think the term "I am just honest" is a dog whistle for "I say mean and hurtful things" and those who happen to be on the spectrum hide behind the label and diagnoses.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.