Seeking fresh perspectives from new WP members.

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 3:46 pm

I'm seeking (much needed) fresh-perspectives from people who known of adults with High Functioning Autism (HFA); that is perspectives from people who have:

* Professional relationships with HFA people.

* Relatives of adults with HFA.

* Family friends.

Again, fresh perspectives are much needed here on WP, yet such perspectives remain elusive.

Let's be the change we need to see here in the HFA / WP world!

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:08 pm

Hi JFH :). You seek fresh perspectives, but is there anything specific you need input on, in this regard?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 5:37 pm

Juliette wrote:
Hi JFH :). You seek fresh perspectives, but is there anything specific you need input on, in this regard?

Understanding and best serving adults with HFA presents elusive challenges - hence such difficulties are reflected here on WP.

I hope to "break the ice" with people who have proven to be beneficial (even in small ways) in the lives of adults with HFA. I hope newer WP members can "fit the bill" so to speak!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 2:28 am

I'm an old member, but maybe you have not heard that the single most helpful thing I ever heard from a counsellor was "I don't know." That's when I realized that I'd assumed that IQ and EQ varied together, when they are more often a case of either one or the other.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 8:45 am

Since each of us is an individual -- the 'HFA' label does not mean we are all the same -- each of us should be treated as a unique individual, and not a clone-copy of everyone else.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 9:05 am

PS - the above incident built on another, when I thought there must be a logical flaw in my depressing reasoning, and my counsellor said she wasn't smart enough to find it.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 4:19 pm

Basically, who can we trust to:

* Assist in the event of an emergency - who's names do we put on medical forms asking "Who to contact in case of an emergency?"

* Who might act as a third-party advisor to assist on large transactions- the purchasing of a vehicle, rental and property issues, complex consumer issues?

* Most of all, who are these awesome people whom we would enjoy spending recreational time?

To expand this discussion. It's best to build relationships outside of counselors - the objective is to build relationships such as:

* Professional relationships involve career/business related advice, guidance.

* Relatives of adults with HFA.

* Family friends - It's best to develop relationships outside of immediate family - that is immediate family might naturally have too much awareness of HFA - which can prove unfavorable, "yes, you read this correctly, too much awareness with HFA can prove unfavorable."

Other than that, six degrees of separation might zero-in on people who "fit the bill so to speak" - that is, more fulfilling than chance and accident alone!

To review: I'm seeking fresh perspectives here in this WP discussion-forum from people who've had experiences in acting on behalf of adults with HFA - that's it!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 1:30 pm

If you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 1:48 pm

If this net isn't catching the fish you want, maybe have a look at John Rollwagen or Henry Royce. I assume that Seymour Cray and Mr. Rolls are/were aspie nerds who we would never have heard of without their business partners. I spent most of my life seeking one like those .

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 2:32 pm

Anybody aware of those trusting, even awesome people who acted as advisors, advocates, and even terrific acquaintances on behalf of an HFA adult?

Please brings this discussion thread 'Seeking Fresh Perspectives From New WP Members' to their attention!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 11:33 am

It occurs to me that I probably tried the wrong route to finding a NT partner. I thought that an independent demonstration of skill would get me job offers. I suspect that the aspies who find themselves integrated into an organization began by putting up with stupid situations until chance let them advance others' work through clever thinking. Gradually, they become seen as an authority, and given autonomy.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 2:26 pm

As the original poster (OP), I must say it's discouraging that new (or newer) WP members haven't contributed to this discussion thread (as of this writing).

Please follow-through, and bring this discussion thread 'Seeking Fresh Perspectives From New WP Members' to the attention of those trusting, even awesome people who acted as advisors, fiduciaries, advocates, and even terrific acquaintances on behalf of an HFA adult!!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 2:35 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody aware of those trusting, even awesome people who acted as advisors, advocates, and even terrific acquaintances on behalf of an HFA adult? ...
Nope.  Never heard of them.  Who are/were they?
JustFoundHere wrote:
As the original poster (OP), I must say it's discouraging that new (or newer) WP members haven't contributed to this discussion thread (as of this writing)...
What incentives do you offer in exchange for their participation?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2021, 2:27 pm

I'm not diagnosed; & very new to accepting my Aspie-ness (1 day) and flounderingly new to WP, which I find daunting..

I have masked and scripted (several different formats) my way into getting help as a military industrial advisor/consultant parallel to this topic.

It happens brst when I'm seen as something like a "2e or DE (?)" expert coming from outside to help with some sci/tech problem. But it was never with any AS/ASD context.

Those who helped were invariably "people people" who would "team together" with me and mine as "dual teacher-learners" who must overcome the problem "against" a third (the power players, bosses, management, etc).

My scripts were all masks & learned acting.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 5:13 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I'm an old member, but maybe you have not heard that the single most helpful thing I ever heard from a counsellor was "I don't know."
Agreed!!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 5:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody aware of those trusting, even awesome people who acted as advisors, advocates, and even terrific acquaintances on behalf of an HFA adult? ...
Nope.  Never heard of them.  Who are/were they?
JustFoundHere wrote:
As the original poster (OP), I must say it's discouraging that new (or newer) WP members haven't contributed to this discussion thread (as of this writing)...
What incentives do you offer in exchange for their participation?
Yes to this!

Wreck It Ralph