Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 11:47 am

Or how self aware to you think you are....it's a tricky thing, being labeled with a neurological condition....for the longest time i thought i was 'normal'... until you get told otherwise.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2021, 12:51 pm

Tricky answer for me.

Usually very much, but I'm also easily distracted, confused and/or overwhelmed.

I've found over time that, in general, I have more awareness of both self and environment than average...but only so long as my brain isn't being mostly occupied by something else.

When I focus on something, it tends to be intense enough that I start to tunnel vision if not lose complete sense of everything else.

If I get into a situation where I'm not sure what to do, my brain just goes nuts trying to figure out what to do and doesn't leave much space for other things.

In the past I rarely got overwhelmed, but these days long exposure to too much just fries my brain.

But other than that, I'm almost hyper aware of both myself and everything around me. No matter inebriation or intense emotions/mental states, there's always this little island of self-awareness in my mind keeping track of things...which is both a curse and a blessing. It keeps me second-guessing [and thereby sabotaging] myself in all social endeavors, but it also keeps me safe and keeps me from making bad decisions because of emotional impulse or unfavorable mental states.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 1:02 pm

I am sufficiently self-aware, in that I can recognize my own reflection in the mirror.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 1:07 pm

Well I would like to think that I am self aware but my personality switches when I become stressed as part of dissociative identity disorder and I am not always aware of this switch until after the fact.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 1:08 pm

I'm too "self-aware." It gets boring sometimes :)

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm

I am painfully self-aware. My therapist thinks it's to my benefit to be the hyper-aware Aspie type, and I have done well, but it's very painful, even now approaching 50. That said, I also felt/feel normal. I knew I rubbed my ears, twirled my hair, bit my nails, rotated my hips but before I was diagnosed with Autism I didn't have a word for it and wasn't aware that I did it that much more than everyone else. All my life when I tried to suggest I did or felt something unusual or "more" I was told "everyone does/feels that". My observations or concerns were too often dismissed and I internalized that.

My BFF is just now realizing how much she sways from side to side and does finger "exercises" and likewise it had seemed "normal" (typical) to her. So she was self-aware in that she knew she did those things, but not aware relative to others.

Just this week I shared that my daughter has Autistic traits and her teacher said she had never seen them ----as my daughter vigorously rubbed her hands (repeatedly) together under the table we were all sitting at. I didn't know how to say "ummm, do you see what she's doing right now?" without embarrassing all of us. I may write her later. My 10-yo daughter can sense she's different than the kids in her classes, and I agree with her as oppose to the (unintentional) gaslighting I went through. That said, she was not (yet) diagnosed with ASD -- f'ing healthcare system lack of criteria for ASD in girls. Teacher: "But she talks to the [socially outcasted girl] at lunch. She can't be Autistic." Evaluating doctor: "It's her choice not to have friends; it's not b/c she doesn't relate. [edited to add: Expressive Language Disorder with Sensory Processing issues for her]." Painfully aware. Painful.

Last edited by SharonB on 08 Oct 2021, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2021, 1:44 pm

SharonB wrote:
Evaluating doctor: "It's her choice not to have friends; it's not b/c she doesn't relate."

Fuuuuuck. That just hurts to read. I feel for you both.

Gym Nerd
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2021, 3:07 pm

No idea.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 3:14 pm

I was aware that I was "different" to a slight degree as a little kid. I became a lot more self aware overall when I got near puberty. Now I have social anxiety from being too self aware and self conscious.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 3:27 pm

Prior to starting to see a psychologist three months ago about my ASD diagnosis, I was pretty oblivious. Now I am more self-aware since I'm dealing with my ASD.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 5:11 pm

I am EXTREMELY self aware in matters that involve my survival. But there other areas that don't in which I am not so self aware or even at all.

Wreck It Ralph

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 10:57 pm

'Enough' to be aware that there are layers to this crap. :P

And aware enough to know I can be aware or unaware at a given situation.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

21 Oct 2021, 12:31 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I was aware that I was "different" to a slight degree as a little kid. I became a lot more self aware overall when I got near puberty. Now I have social anxiety from being too self aware and self conscious.

I don't even have to write anything, 'cause you already wrote my post for me. :P This is my experience too.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 5:09 am

Better than I used to be which was mostly not at all.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2021, 1:10 am

The term "Spikey Profile " occurs to me regarding my own experiences.
Yes, there are times I probably am self aware, and I suspect if is through conscious effort, and then come times I perhaps get too much in the zone going along with something like the shared humour in a group of people, and too late realised I have crossed a boundry and committed some faux pas or taken some teasing too far