Famous People One Thinks Could Be On The Spectrum.

Page 8 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 5:27 pm

simonthesly74 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Not considerable difficulty except recently after the last few burnouts or breakdowns. In the past I was always an outsider if I was supposed to be part of a group and though for the first few months I was ok as I could mask my way through, after a while the bullying would start and I would be excluded. It was like I was part of a group but i was excluded from being part of the group. I was like a "Tag-along"?
I could never work out why though. I was always putting in major effort to "Fit in" but the only way I could do it sas by pretending to be thick which is what I saw that Cyndi Lauper does when she is being interviewed.

Yeah, you indeed sound pretty autistic to me. Again though, not being yourself in social situations isn’t necessarily an autistic trait. Say, for instance, that you aren’t naturally very social, don’t like people but since you’re famous, you have to act friendly in interviews to maintain your positive image. That could be an example of “masking”, but it’s not the same thing as doing your best to act “normal” out of fear for how people will react to your “weird” self.

I am not famous and neither do I want to be as I am more one who tries to hide, but I do sympatize a lot with famous people who need to hide because they find that too much attention is a bit too much for them.

A well known (In the UK) commedian called Peter Kay is one who might be on the spectrum. He had to cancel his shows later as he found it took too much out of him. He is a very tallented man in the way he uses his mind in commedy. From what I understand, he is a very private man when he was not in the public gaze.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 7:29 pm

A lot of famous people find fame too much to handle. That's why a lot turn to drugs (part of it is having too much money but another part of it is being overwhelmed by the pressure). I know Aspies like to think that all NTs are all social extroverts that never get drained or tired from anything but trust me, they can.

I think some people in this thread just can't think beyond autism.

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Sep 2021, 7:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
A lot of famous people find fame too much to handle. That's why a lot turn to drugs (part of it is having too much money but another part of it is being overwhelmed by the pressure). I know Aspies like to think that all NTs are all social extroverts that never get drained or tired from anything but trust me, they can.

I think some people in this thread just can't think beyond autism.

Yeah… it’s just a personality trait that is independent of one’s neurotype.

AliceCooper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2021, 4:43 am

Steve Ditko had all the signs of Asperger's!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 7:09 pm

Trump believes that vaccines always cause autism, but like many, I do not want
to share being on the spectrum with "Pumpkin" because he comes off more as a sociopath.

However like many, I would laugh if someone diagnosed "Pumpkin" with ASD
and seeing him obsessing over the facts of it.

AliceCooper

22 Oct 2021, 12:01 am

Joss Whedon and RDJ!

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2024, 1:58 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
simonthesly74 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I am not sure what that word means, sorry.

Like, it’s not meant to be serious. In this case, only listing famous people that are obviously not autistic as opposed to ones we think might actually be on the spectrum— likely to make fun of how quick some people are to (non-professionally) diagnose people who don’t actually display a sufficient amount of traits to qualify.

I started this thread just out of interest as I am convinced that Cyndi is on the spectrum because she masks the exact same ways as I do when she is being interviewed. She is also one who finds that she would never quite "Fit in" especially in her younger years... She always had a need to be different and do her own thing. She was never really interested in being popular or earning lots of money except in that she needed to to survive. If she could sing with a band she liked and was comfortable with, and they just went out to perform and enjoy themselves they were happy, and she would do that regardless of how much money she was getting.
The need for a manager to help her was purely to ensure she had a viable income so they did not have to worry about that side of things which is very different to other famous bands and musicians who would purpously seek fame and stardom. Cyndi rarely ever even knew how much money she had and hardly noticed how famous she had become. She just went out to enjoy sharing her and the bands musical creativity, and they did not care too much if people did not like them as they just enjoyed doing what they did. (Most people did like them though).
Cyndi started with a band called "The Blue Angels". Financially things were tough. She was actually very dissapointed when a manager came along and helped her who suggested she drop the Blue Angels as she felt deeply for those guys, and loved to perform with them. She has performed with many different musicians, some of whom were pretty famous in their own right like Prince.
One thing she always did was to enjoy what she did, as you could certainly say that if she is on the spectrum, singing and music is her special interest!

But going back on topic. This thread is with the serious thought that there are many who are famous who are very likely to be on the spectrum and they don't know that they are.

I am going to start another thread about something that has just come into my mind which kinda relates to this point.

Hello, new here. Old everywhere else. That was a joke.
Woke at midnight wondering if Cyndi Lauper is on the Spectum. Googled and found this thread. Her lyrics to “Money Changes Everything” could be suggestive. But “True Colors” should be an anthem for anyone masking and then being accepted for who they truly are. Honesty even when it hurts-“Money Changes Everything.”

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2024, 5:34 am

Calm Inside the Storm
Song by Cyndi Lauper

I can get up
On the right side of the bed
But that won't stop the rain
From coming down on my head
I can live my life
Playing hide and seek
But when I look inside
It's hard to make believe,
Ah ah
'N lately
You seem so far away
I wish I could say something
But I don't know what to say
I can feel your eyes
I don't have to look at you
Boy, discontent
Is-a-sneakin' through
You never really want anything
But what you really need is everything
I'll give you something only life can bring
The calm inside the storm
Love me a little, love me long
Wo yeah
The calm inside the storm
Don't you know
You should be holding me
But you're all locked inside
Why don't you throw me your keys
I'm like a rockin' ship
On your rollin' sea
You know crash lightnin'
Never frightens me, nah
...You never really wanted
But what you really needed
I want to give you something
Mmm...the calm inside the storm

Cyndi’s lyrics “live my life playing hide and seek” —“I can feel your eyes. I don’t have to look at you.”
All my life people told me I avoided eye contact. Learned to FORCE myself to do it. Uncomfortable still though. Adult females can be masters at masking. We get overlooked and our symptoms often compared to males;Not always similar.
Cyndi’s “True Colors” and “Money Changes Everything” have an autistic feel for authenticity. Getting to the truth. For me lying has always come hard. Was bullied and berated for telling the truth my entire life. Now that I’m older it doesn’t matter as much what others think about me as long as I like myself.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2024, 5:39 am

Cyndi Lauper is either intimately acquainted with someone who’s on the Spectrum or is Autistic herself. It’s in her lyrics.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 6:23 pm

Not to mention she had to do with SpongeBob SquarePants a show popular with Autistic people...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 10:34 pm

Peter Tork of The Monkees
Bob Dylan
Ray Davies
Mick Avory
Clay Atkin that guy from American Idol
Daryl Hannah
Janis Joplin
Albert Einstein
Alice Munro
John Lennon
John Loggie Baird
Hitler (though I'd hate to admit it)
Dustin Hoffman

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2024, 1:05 am

Don't forget that schizotypal personality disorder is similar to autism in many ways.

Adolf Hitler was probably schizotypal, not autistic.

I think Einstein was probably schizotypal too.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2024, 4:04 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Not considerable difficulty except recently after the last few burnouts or breakdowns. In the past I was always an outsider if I was supposed to be part of a group and though for the first few months I was ok as I could mask my way through, after a while the bullying would start and I would be excluded. It was like I was part of a group but i was excluded from being part of the group. I was like a "Tag-along"?
I could never work out why though. I was always putting in major effort to "Fit in" but the only way I could do it sas by pretending to be thick which is what I saw that Cyndi Lauper does when she is being interviewed.

Cyndi Lauper’s unusual speaking voice is sometimes an indication of autism…or a New Yorker.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 4:11 pm

Why do people think Cyndi lauper is Autistic?

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2024, 5:52 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
to share being on the spectrum with "Pumpkin" because he comes off more as a sociopath.

His niece Mary, a psychologist, has all but said he's on the spectrum.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 6:04 pm

Minuteman wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

His niece Mary, a psychologist, has all but said he's on the spectrum.

Really?
Ive seen her on TV and on Utube. She says he is a sociopath. But I dont recall hearing her imply that he is on the autism spectrum.

Not that its impossible that he might be.