Sometimes do you think that some emotions that you feel are

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

XSara
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2021, 6:53 am

abnormal, or deviating from what is normal or usual, typically in a way that is undesirable, shameful or worrying.?

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 6:56 am

All the time, particularly my mourning process. It doesn't take me as long as others to get over emotional things. Makes me feel very guilty.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Sep 2021, 7:03 am

I was raised to think that way.
One of the successes of my therapy was un-learning it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 7:17 am

As a child yes.
Not because I grew up with anyone telling me off. But because I hate the involuntariness and reactivity caused by emotions.

Now I only know it's mostly just acknowledge it's not typical. Mostly.
And trying to. I'm working on it recently. Got plenty of progress for the last 2 years.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

KaleidoscopicMagpie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2021, 6:30 pm

I feel like my emotions are more intense than others, and often appear inappropriate.

I don't lack empathy, I seem to have extreme empathy.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2021, 12:32 am

I used to think this. Now I've realized that the emotion is going to happen whatever I think about it. The only thing to do is accept them. Where my power lies is in what I do with the emotion. I can (usually) choose to act or not. If I allow the emotions their space, eventually they will pass and be replaced by some other emotion. My emotional state cannot stay the same for long. Even depression varies in intensity over time if I can bring myself to notice it.

Judging my emotions means I'm trying to avoid being authentically me by imagining what others would think of me for feeling that way. It is impossible to be happy if I do this.

Sometimes emotions are paradoxical or don't make sense. They are by definition non-rational. So using my rational mind to judge them and therefore myself is a mistake. I feel this is part of learning to be human that all people, not just our community, need to understand.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 7:12 am

"inappropriate" ? I have been told I am behaving inappropriately (responding to others, acting for myself, etc). yep goes right in with the rest of my life. Only now starting to understand it all, very late diagnosis gave me lots of things to sort through from the past.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson