Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I woke up today with a thumb-shaped bruise on each forearm. I must have been gripping myself with my arms crossed, either last night or in the past few days. I go to sleep on my stomach so that's not a position I'd do voluntarily. I've noticed whenever I wake up from a bad dream I'm on my back like a dead person pose with my hands clasped.

I actually read that sleeping on your back is more likely to cause nightmares for some reason. Something about the flow of neurotransmitters.

Anyway I'm getting off topic but I thought the bruises were kind of interesting.

I don't mind if you get off topic, I think that's indeed interesting and this is a pretty lighthearted thread overall. I can't sleep on my back so I wouldn't know if it causes nightmares or anything, but the one time I managed to fall asleep like that my dreams were SUPER weird. Never again. :lol:

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:08 pm

No.
But I have learned how to look like I am sitting still.
I have also learned that moving isn't always a bad thing - I give myself permission to move now but try to do it in socially acceptable ways.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:10 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I woke up today with a thumb-shaped bruise on each forearm. I must have been gripping myself with my arms crossed, either last night or in the past few days. I go to sleep on my stomach so that's not a position I'd do voluntarily. I've noticed whenever I wake up from a bad dream I'm on my back like a dead person pose with my hands clasped.

I actually read that sleeping on your back is more likely to cause nightmares for some reason. Something about the flow of neurotransmitters.

Anyway I'm getting off topic but I thought the bruises were kind of interesting.

I don't mind if you get off topic, I think that's indeed interesting and this is a pretty lighthearted thread overall. I can't sleep on my back so I wouldn't know if it causes nightmares or anything, but the one time I managed to fall asleep like that my dreams were SUPER weird. Never again. :lol:

I did have a weird dream last night (see the dream thread), but I don't remember it being scary.

I should add that I take nightmare-prevention PTSD meds every night and yet I still have all these issues with moving around too much, acting out dreams, and sometimes attacking people who share my bed. I even beat the tar out of my mother when I was about seven years old, because we had to share a bed in a hotel. I sat up in my sleep and punched her repeatedly.

I'd love to know more about my early childhood in terms of trauma but so far that childhood incident is considered Parasomnia.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:13 pm

Fenn wrote:
No.
But I have learned how to look like I am sitting still.
I have also learned that moving isn't always a bad thing - I give myself permission to move now but try to do it in socially acceptable ways.

How do you do that, do you just stim/fidget by tapping your foot and stuff like that?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I did have a weird dream last night (see the dream thread), but I don't remember it being scary.

I should add that I take nightmare-prevention PTSD meds every night and yet I still have all these issues with moving around too much, acting out dreams, and sometimes attacking people who share my bed. I even beat the tar out of my mother when I was about seven years old, because we had to share a bed in a hotel. I sat up in my sleep and punched her repeatedly.

I'd love to know more about my early childhood in terms of trauma but so far that childhood incident is considered Parasomnia.

I have never really moved much in my sleep. People have tried to tell me I talk in my sleep, but when I've prodded them about it, it turns out that actually just got woken up by them and responded to them while facing away from them, so they didn't realize I was awake. The only thing I've done that involved actually moving in my sleep was something, uh, NSFW recently, which was super odd and horrified me because I've never done anything like that and didn't want it to become a habit. lmao

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 8:36 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
Not me. A lot of nights I will rock my feet until I fall asleep.
One time, at a sleepover, I was doing it, and my friends could hear the shuffling, and one of them thought I was doing something inappropriate O_O We all had a good laugh over that one.

I do the foot rocking thing, too, which is interesting. I've heard of other people with ASD doing that when lying down to go to sleep, and even people in my family do it. Otherwise I don't move much, but I do change my position a lot.

As a kid, when I'd just gone to bed, I used to lay on my back and rock my head quite forcibly from side to side for a while, before rolling onto my side and going to sleep.

I think by focussing on that it helped all my other thought processes to stop. Like an active form of meditation.

I will occasionally still do it, when particularly stressed or ill. It's comforting.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:05 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
...or doing ballet pirouettes and "TA-DA!" motions like a gymnast who just landed a routine.

I think a lot of it is ASD / stim, and some of it is my ADHD.

:) And I think you are about my age (more than a few decades) so that's amusing indeed. I can feel the happiness of that movement just reading what you wrote. I still hop and balance along edges and border stones and rocks when I can. Right now I am sitting still, so I am smelling my hair (stim).

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:14 am

The more still i become, the more depressed i feel. If i'm moving, I'm okay. Movement= high energy = good mood. Even when i Sleep i toss and turn constantly, I might have some restless syndrome.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:40 am

SharonB wrote:

:) And I think you are about my age (more than a few decades) so that's amusing indeed. I can feel the happiness of that movement just reading what you wrote. I still hop and balance along edges and border stones and rocks when I can. Right now I am sitting still, so I am smelling my hair (stim).

Ha! I do the same thing -- balancing on edges and borders with my arms out like an airplane.

Life's just too boring otherwise!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:41 am

I do that too. It never gets old.

Owaain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2021, 4:28 pm

probably due to my ADHD, I can't sit still, I always have my hand moving, typing random things on class (I use a computer because I am dyspraxic), ironically, I can also just completely stop moving during sometime half an hour, in this kind of case, I don't move, but I think a lot

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 5:06 pm

SharonB wrote:
...I still hop and balance along edges and border stones and rocks when I can...

I love doing that. It's very entertaining and I don't mind the looks I get from people at all when I do it. I don't see why more people don't do that. lol

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 8:20 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Weird, I've never heard that before.
I can't fall asleep on my back unless I'm VERY tired, but I almost always wake up on my back (probably because my nose is more likely to stuff up otherwise).

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 8:24 pm

Owaain wrote:
probably due to my ADHD, I can't sit still, I always have my hand moving, typing random things on class (I use a computer because I am dyspraxic), ironically, I can also just completely stop moving during sometime half an hour, in this kind of case, I don't move, but I think a lot

There are rare times where I don't really move much, but for me those are often when I dissociate. I also think a lot when I dissociate.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 9:47 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Weird, I've never heard that before.
I can't fall asleep on my back unless I'm VERY tired, but I almost always wake up on my back (probably because my nose is more likely to stuff up otherwise).

I can't remember which article it was, but here's an example:

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Why-Do ... k-46219092

I nearly always wake up on my back too, but maybe because the act of rolling around wakes me.

I don't know how often I have nightmares because I'm on suppressant meds but I wonder if nightmares can be forgotten as often as most people forget dreams?

I always wondered if that's why I live in fear mode all the time (PTSD). I could be having tons of bad dreams and flashback nightmares that I don't even remember but they set me on edge?

Sorry again Hero for derailing.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 1:14 pm

I can sit but I can't sit still and as soon as I hear music or anything with a beat I'm up and dancing. I just can't help it. Sometimes I feel like I'm gonna just float away as well (not sure what that is).

I also have diagnosed adhd.