Have my ASD Diagnostic Assessment at 9:30am, I’m bricking it

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2021, 10:11 pm

I have my ASD Diagnostic Appointment today at 9:30am over Zoom and I’ve no idea what I need to do or say, it’s been a long five year wait for this appointment, so if it is autism I have, it will bring me so much relief, but what questions do they ask during the assessment? I know what is done during a physical appointment, but not during a Zoom one?

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2021, 5:50 am

I thought my appointment went alright, the Clinical psychologist was lovely, she doesn’t think I have Autism, but she thinks it might be Nonverbal Learning Disorder, I have to go down to the clinic after Christmas to been seen properly as it wasn’t ideal doing it through Zoom and she’s looking to find out more information about my difficulties in childhood up to now, I found it very difficult to explain myself, my mum couldn’t remember much either due to her epilepsy as she has memory issues, so we both found it difficult. Hoping the clinical appointment will go well.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 6:01 am

Dead on.
Good there is a follow up in person.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 6:50 am

It is quite a wait. They need to see you in person as zoom meetings are limited. I tried zoom and it did not work as I could not get zoom to work, but I have not been assessed yet.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 11:20 am

In any event, it sounds like WP is a good place for you.

P.S. I was 64 when I got my Adult Autism Assessment. It was kind of fun! Parts of the assessment were clearly designed for youngsters but I just found that amusing. It was before the Pandemic so I had three in-person appointments with the Psychologist. I also gave her copies of all of the records I could scrape together that I thought might be helpful, had my bride involved, etc. But the key thing was that I was there.

I'm not sure Zoom would be a good place for the Assessment. I think the Assessor probably should be able to see you in-person as much as possible.

But, just enjoy the assessment. Be honest and cooperative and act yourself. (You want a correct diagnosis not an award for acting!)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2021, 7:01 am

keep us posted, cheering you on!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson