Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2022, 2:54 pm

I’ve seen several episodes of “Hoarders” over the years and have noticed that a lot of the hoarders featured in the episodes seem like they could be on the ASD spectrum. Has anyone seen this show and noticed something similar? Most seem to have severe OCD, somewhat oblivious to their surroundings and how their problem affects others. They also have extremely rigid thinking where it’s impossible to reason with them at all. A lot of them just seem to have something “off” about them in general that you can’t quite put your finger on.
My father in law was a severe hoarder and I suspect he was on the spectrum as well.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 3:37 pm

Could easily speculate that might be a issue affecting Aspies especially older ones , but any age . But their are so many possible factors involved possibly . People hoard for so many variety of reasons , various insecurities
Being children of hoarders might effect some. ingrained fears . Childhood influences of never being able to or allowed
To keep their own possessions . Not just obsessions but for some could be special interests.
Yes have seen that show too, and wondered that myself. 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:22 pm

I don't think hoarders are necessarily on the spectrum but I believe they have a mental illness of some sort.

But I'm borderline hoarder. I just get attached to stuff, and I think I'm going to want it in the near future, also I think of the money I've wasted on something if I just throw it out, especially if I remember buying it.

And there's the "objects have feelings" mentality I suffer with.

Nemesis2k7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2022, 4:28 pm

i doubt its ASD. more so depression / schizophrenia / having a need to control surroundings. i have helped a few horders in my life time. they all suffered from depression and other mental health disorders such as schizophrenia, one suffered from severe dementia.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:40 pm

Hoarding is the result of a mental illness.
The association may be that people with ASD also have a mental illness which could lead to hoarding.
But I don't think its common for people on the spectrum to hoard.
They may collect things that interest them.
That's not the same as having a house packed full of stuff you can't deal with.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:45 pm

I've noticed in those shows most of the hoarders suffered a traumatizing experience, or they were raised by parents who were hoarders themselves.

Of course, if you live in a small apartment it's hoarding. If you live in a big house where you have room to keep everything nice and neat, it's collecting. :P

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 4:52 pm

Whew am glad , I am only guilty of collecting..loolz . But looks like will be heading someday soon to apartment.
Then what ? Am a hoarder in waiting ? :skull:

Nemesis2k7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2022, 5:02 pm

Raleigh wrote:
The association may be that people with ASD also have a mental illness which could lead to hoarding.

facts right here

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 5:15 pm

Raleigh wrote:

Exactly. Have you ever watched the show Hoarders? I think hoarding vs. collecting is like this:

I collect plushies but I'm very particular about the kind that I would like to collect. I display them properly. On the other end, when I notice that I'm running out of room (which I have for now) I don't buy any more.

If I was a hoarder, I wouldn't be able to resist buying every single plushie in the store even if I'm not 100% on them being the kind that I genuinely want. They would be on the floor, collecting dust and cobwebs and I wouldn't be able to function or keep all of them tidy and organized.

I've seen people on Hoarders where their personal belongings are covered with rodent poop. They can't keep them organized. I don't think ASD and hoarding have any correlation unless there are other factors such as another mental illness or a family history of hoarding.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 5:33 pm

Am thinking hoarding style behavior can also be the result of extraordinary stress and extreme lack of support .
Wonder if hoarders actually replace the comforts of support and human companionship with the comfort of having things..? :roll:

JourneyFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2022, 5:34 pm

I don't hoard (as such) but I do have a hard time throwing things away. I get quite attached to my possessions but I'm not sure if that is classed as hoarding :?:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 4:25 am

I have a big hoard of stuff, but it hasn't done me much harm. Mind you, it was a close call. If I'd carried on like I was doing, there wouldn't have been enough room for me to function. I could see what was happening. Spare rooms so full of clutter that they couldn't be used as anything else but store rooms. So I got scared of bringing more stuff into the house. That worked quite well in stopping it getting any worse. As long as I've got clear gangways between my bed, my sofa, TV set, hi-fi, computers, kitchen and bathroom, and enough empty space to hold a couple of guests occasionally, the purpose of the rest of the house is to hold my stuff. That's why it's surrounded by brick walls, to keep my stuff safe from thieves. I don't want to lose it.

As for downsizing it, I think one of the reasons I haven't done that is that I don't need to. And it's often been handy to dig something out of the rubble instead of having to go out and buy a new one. I don't believe that adage that says if you haven't used something for 6 months then it's no use to you. It depends what you happen to get into. The other big problem with reducing my hoard is the executive dysfunction thing. In fact that's why it got so disorganised in the first place - I was unable to devise a rational system for where to put things. It's better ordered than it used to be though. Somehow I learned over the decades by trial and error how to organise it a bit. I tried to clear out my loft once but I was defeated, it was just too hard and confusing. I think a hoard reaches a critical mass beyond which it would just take too long to sort it all out. But hey, what's the point having a loft if it's empty?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:18 am

agrees in principal with above post .. but i hit critical mass. and got rid of brand new stuff that sat for years and collectable. Partially regretable.. But at critical mass. had to have a clean out service take away big portions of it. Still working on it .. And doing house hold repairs aswell.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:37 am

There is no proven link between autism and hoarding.
Only a few previous studies with small numbers have been done but conclusions from them is that autism in hoarders is no more common than with other disorders or mental illnesses.

Hoarding syndrome is included in DSM5 as its own category of mental illness.

There is very little understanding of why people become hoarders at this time. Very sad.

I think almost everybody knows or has known a person who struggles with this.
It is so shameful to those who hoard that it is mostly hidden and hoarders rarely ask for help.
Stigma is huge, support is generally not available.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 6:39 am

I think I would feel good having a spare for everything, and pleased with a variety of choices. However in my early life my family was very mobile and moved constantly. I have lost or abandoned most of my things multiple times. Having things I don't need (other than emergency supplies) kinda bothers me. It was built into my instinct to question the necessity of acquiring new possession. "Do I really need this? Where would I put it? What to do if I have to move? Can I get rid of it easily (does it have resale value)?" So the result is usually I put things down and tell myself I have more than enough stuff. I declutter twice a year and donate tons of stuff. I rarely get attached to an object, even if it has sentimental value. Occasionally I do get attached, but I get over it after a while. It's just stuff and I can always get more if I need them, and if I can't get the same again I can live without them. I get a bit alarmed if I get too attached to something. I want to feel free and independent. :)

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:05 am

OP, you are on to something. They say that PTSD and ASD can be indiscernible sometimes. And of course "comorbids" are more likely with ASD. Which one first, or both, or all? My mom is a moderate hoarder, she is on the Spectrum and/or had a rough childhood. I am mile and also am triggered when somebody says "throw out". I've coached my husband to say "recycle, repurpose, donate". It's also executive function (lack of) stuff. Recently my mom and I have scheduled time to "sort" items (not clean up, not dispose of). This avoids the demand and trauma triggers and is working very well.