Page 7 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 10:28 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Would participate in this thread concerning male female relationship but have several times got messages “ that I am not Authorised to read this Thread”. Kinda kills the value of participation . Friendships with opposite esx.
Is a worthwhile thread . :o

Were you given a notification of a new post via email?
Perhaps the post was deleted/Put-in-the-dungeon?

It was a new post notification. Via email . What… this virtual site has a virtual dungeon ? :cry: ( :skull: )

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 10:57 pm

Jakki wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Would participate in this thread concerning male female relationship but have several times got messages “ that I am not Authorised to read this Thread”. Kinda kills the value of participation . Friendships with opposite esx.

It was a new post notification. Via email . What… this virtual site has a virtual dungeon ? :cry: ( :skull: )

That is what magz calls it.
Alex wants to keep them so the posts aren't deleted.
We little people just can't gain access to them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 10:59 pm

Rexi wrote:
Pepe wrote:
MaxE wrote:
SpiralingCrow wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Sorry Jakki. I'm sure it must be some kind of glitch. I can't imagine any reason why you'd get this message.

I believe one way this can happen is should somebody delete a message.

Deleting messages happens a lot on WP.

Not that often for my messages, hehe. *flex* 8)

I am the pure one, the chosen one. I will propagate the autistic perfection 1000%. I will learn the language of the wild species I interact with and share technology.

If only you were 20 years older. :( :mrgreen:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 3:02 am

Jakki wrote:

That was the explanation I was given, one of the times it happened to me. "Cornflake's Dungeon" they called it at the time. If I remember accurately, a new post had been found to be against the rules and had therefore been put there (or in more real terms, removed from the sight of users but kept in some hidden place on the server, presumably so that if the poster had asked why it had been deleted, the admin people would have been able to take a look and tell them). But meanwhile the software, not being the world's best, had somehow managed to send me a notification with a URL for the hidden location of that post, so when I clicked it, it tried to go to that hidden place and therefore the software told me I didn't have permission to look at it. I think I was told that it wasn't exactly a bug, and that delayed my understanding of the problem because to my mind it was a bug that wrongly sent me a notification to a place I couldn't access.

I suspect it can also happen if a user deletes their post just after the notification has been sent out, but I seem to remember that when that happened to me, the URL simply got redirected to the top of the page, because the post was neither on the thread any more or in this "dungeon" thing, but I guess it's possible that when a user deletes a post, it's not really deleted but merely kept in a hidden place similar to the "dungeon." Maybe sometimes a user posts something nasty, another user reads it and feels offended, then the poster thinks better of it and "deletes" it, then the offended user reports what they saw, then the admin people warn the poster and need to quote the "deleted" post to substantiate their warning, but meanwhile the notification has gone out to some other user who clicks it, and gets directed to that inaccessible place. But that's just my guess.

It would possibly need a person who was very au fait with how the software works, very good at providing crystal-clear explanations, very aware that Aspies often require such clarity, and rather time-rich, to provide a really good answer. I lack the first criterion and to a degree I lack the second because although my clarity is in theory quite good, in practice it often fails to help because my explanations tend to be so long that few have the time or patience to read them carefully.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 5:10 am

@Tough Diamond
I understand your explanation. It makes sense. Thanks.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 5:21 am

Thank you once more Toughdiamond…. :D

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 7:21 am

I'm glad it wasn't too verbose for your patience. And I hope I've explained it accurately. Somebody from admin might be able to say whether or not I have.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 7:30 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
That was the explanation I was given, one of the times it happened to me. "Cornflake's Dungeon" they called it at the time.
:lol: Not guilty - it's simply a forum accessible to moderators only.

Quote:
If I remember accurately, a new post had been found to be against the rules and had therefore been put there (or in more real terms, removed from the sight of users but kept in some hidden place on the server, presumably so that if the poster had asked why it had been deleted, the admin people would have been able to take a look and tell them).
If a post has been "removed" (ie. moved to the dungeon) it won't be visible to members on a thread. But thread update alerts would have already been automatically sent as a result of this post and there is no way of recalling them, so a member clicking on the emailed link will be told it's not accessible - which is technically correct, but ideally it should just say "This post was removed".

Sadly customisation of the site software didn't extend to such niceties - but to be fair, adding this level of finesse is beyond the customisation capabilities available within the software and would require some extensive low-level coding. This in turn would create difficulties should the forum software later be updated to a new version: customisation is accommodated within the databases and carried forward to a new version but low-level bespoke coding would not so it would need to be manually included in the new version - assuming that hadn't changed significantly; if it had then the wheel would need to be reinvented to suit.

The reasons for post removal include, but are not limited to - spam, gross obscenities, trolls, off-topic noise or other off-topic content, sockpuppets (usually malicious), promotion of violence and/or violent content - all of which, and more, are covered one way or another by the site rules.

Quote:
But meanwhile the software, not being the world's best, had somehow managed to send me a notification with a URL for the hidden location of that post, so when I clicked it, it tried to go to that hidden place and therefore the software told me I didn't have permission to look at it.
See above - it's not possible to retract an alert once it's been sent.
This would include, by extension, a requirement that the member's email software should be capable of "un-receiving" an email already received. There are no email standards supporting such a capability.

Quote:
I suspect it can also happen if a user deletes their post just after the notification has been sent out, but I seem to remember that when that happened to me, the URL simply got redirected to the top of the page, because the post was neither on the thread any more or in this "dungeon" thing, but I guess it's possible that when a user deletes a post, it's not really deleted but merely kept in a hidden place similar to the "dungeon."
Almost. :wink:
When a member deletes their post an update alert will have already been sent (at the same time as they post their comment) so that's subject to the same impossible retraction scenario as above. But in such a case the forum software is at least clever(?) enough to have the link place them at the start of the relevant thread.

When a member deletes their post it's actually gone, physically removed from the forum's databases, and truly no longer exists.
The deletion event itself is logged, but that's all.

Quote:
Maybe sometimes a user posts something nasty, another user reads it and feels offended, then the poster thinks better of it and "deletes" it, (...)
There are many reasons a member deletes their post - indecision about content, thought of a better way to put it, regrets posting it at all, and so on.

Reports about existing posts are just that - they address existing posts, and as those are usually followed by other posts a deletion (from the member's viewpoint) is no longer possible.

Related to deletions - when a thread is removed by a moderator it goes to a different cell in the dungeon but sometimes, a moderator slips up and it's left visible on the index page as "Moved - [topic name here]" which when clicked, results in the same "no permission" complaint.
We can correct that so that the thread actually vanishes as intended. These mishaps are very rare, but feel free to report such misbehaving threads!

Quote:
It would possibly need a person who was very au fait with how the software works, very good at providing crystal-clear explanations, very aware that Aspies often require such clarity, and rather time-rich, to provide a really good answer.
I hope I've helped in that regard, but feel free to ask more - if no-one minds the lengthy off-topic intrusion. :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2022, 7:49 am

^
Thanks. Cornflake. That certainly gives more information from "the horse's mouth." I can't remember who said it was your dungeon. They were probably being witty, and I suppose perfect accuracy often gets in the way of humour.

You're quite right of course that the whole matter is off-topic. Sorry for my part in that, if anybody is annoyed. I have this tendency to wrongly assume that if somebody mentions something on a thread, it must be on topic. Anyway, I'm happy with the explanations of the "not authorized" phenomenom.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

23 May 2022, 8:30 am

Always happy to help.

I suspect the "Cornflake's Dungeon" tag was a side-effect of wearing the Administrator badge... :lol:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:26 am

Cornflake wrote:
Always happy to help.

I suspect the "Cornflake's Dungeon" tag was a side-effect of wearing the Administrator badge... :lol:

Thank you Cornflake, that helps the understanding …… but the idea of software is to make the system more user
Friendly , not necessarily be solely task oriented, but this site has done a good job of what it does .
The first time was here , I received several of these in sort order .Many years back .
Because of this experience on this site . I presumed it was a personal thing and got the impression the site was extremely clickish here . And I was not in on the click. So I left for several years .
Then someone suggested I try it again . And not receiving those messages in the first few months I was here .
I figured it was okay to be here. But the feeling never changed when I would recieve those messages .
Might offer this thought to Alex ?? :roll:
Thank you again for clarifying the basics of how that message is generated . :D

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

24 May 2022, 3:00 pm

Pepe wrote:
Rexi wrote:
Pepe wrote:
MaxE wrote:
SpiralingCrow wrote:

Sorry Jakki. I'm sure it must be some kind of glitch. I can't imagine any reason why you'd get this message.

I believe one way this can happen is should somebody delete a message.

Deleting messages happens a lot on WP.

Not that often for my messages, hehe. *flex* 8)

I am the pure one, the chosen one. I will propagate the autistic perfection 1000%. I will learn the language of the wild species I interact with and share technology.

If only you were 20 years older. :( :mrgreen:

Don't worry, my friend Pepe, to properly relate with you, I need to be 20 years younger. :mrgreen:
Some lady said she wanna be my mommy because she thought I'm underage. :o I'm kewt like that.
Why need I be so "small??" To better reach your height. xD - On small people and skunks.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

24 May 2022, 3:15 pm

Jakki wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:

:shaking2: Before I die, I'll take a trip to Hell. See all the evil, and the filth; the skeletons in 'flake's closet. (expression, = hidden secrets from the past)

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:21 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:

That is what magz calls it.
Alex wants to keep them so the posts aren't deleted.
We little people just can't gain access to them.

But you're not a little person. You're a little skunk. :P

I've seen some of it. :D It'll take intensive therapy to remove them from my mind. That's one thing hypnosis would be useful for.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:37 pm

Pepe wrote:
SpiralingCrow wrote:
I have a similar issue with expressing emotion. My mother said I got my father's "reserved" nature in regards to this. But ironically enough, I sometimes get accused of appearing angry or sad when I don't feel that way at all but I am deep in concentration. I also have issues with regulating the volume of my voice either it's too soft and noone can hear me or too high because I am speaking passionately about a topic. To myself, I sound normal though.

I can often figure out how someone is feeling based on what they say and their demeanor. If I am not certain though, I just ask questions that may clue me in. But you are right, it can be exhausting.

I have precisely the same problem.
There was a time I deliberately put on a slight smile, but I can never keep that up and have given this away altogether.

I also had the volume "problem".

I am extremely good at picking up body language and find it amusing how people view me without their realisation of how transparent they are.
I don't manipulate the situation. I merely *observe* what is happening.

When I was much younger, I would allow people's opinions of me to direct my behaviour, often adopting their false perceptions of me.
That no longer happens now that I have regained my proactivity/independence and refuse to pander to their expectations any longer.

"Russian warship, go f**k yourself." 8)

I challenge you to break that vow with yourself and become my false perception of you. Hocus pocus preparatus, become old Odin!
You've got an army now.
You gotta prepare it for the afterlife battles.
What will you do with it?

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:43 pm

lvpin wrote:
I have a better time with female friendships, but that might be because of my personal traumas. Also, may taste in male friends is awful lol. They all like to make me upset.

The best way to deal with that issue is to get a dog that reacts to all your triggers and every time someone mentions it, that dog is gonna grab onto their treasures and squeeze harder and harder until they forget their idea and their entire life replays in front of their eyes.

Little boys who don't respect boundaries, nu-uh. They will have their little treasures back.