Anyone NOT a "little professor" when you were a kid?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 5:31 pm

Caz72 wrote:
i never talked untill i was 8 so nah wasnt little professor

despite being quite severely autistic as a young kid i didnt get diagnosed until 12 because i never ever had meltdowns or tantrums never ever made a sound except crying when hurt but that was it and also i was often smiling and waving and stuff so they couldnt quite decipher what i was supposed to be

yes im a very interesting sort of autistic :lol:

You were autistic. But not aspie. Its only the subset of the autistic spectrum who are aspies who are supposed to be the "little professors".

And one of the definitions of aspergers subset of the ASD "no speech delay". You did have that delay in acquiring speech.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:19 pm

I was a little artist as a child. I'm a little hippie artist now.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was a pretty silly kid myself. I didn't take myself too seriously. But I was the type to want to talk about my own interests constantly, without listening to anybody else.

I did like to read----and I read for hours, especially encyclopedias. I used to, very frequently, stay up to like 3 in the morning on a school night just reading encyclopedias. And I didn't even do my homework!

I was starting to look at encyclopaedias some time before the Kennedy - Nixon election in autumn 1960. That was pre school. I really liked them.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 11:16 pm

I was a little professor for sure.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:50 am

firemonkey wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I was a pretty silly kid myself. I didn't take myself too seriously. But I was the type to want to talk about my own interests constantly, without listening to anybody else.

I did like to read----and I read for hours, especially encyclopedias. I used to, very frequently, stay up to like 3 in the morning on a school night just reading encyclopedias. And I didn't even do my homework!

I was starting to look at encyclopaedias some time before the Kennedy - Nixon election in autumn 1960. That was pre school. I really liked them.

My parents got me a set of encyclopedias when I was 8 and after a couple of years I noticed that no matter what page I turned to, I would recognize it.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:33 am

From my earliest living memory I was a little man.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2022, 2:15 pm

I was a little professor. Read early. Loved encyclopedias and maps etc. It didn't seem to help me much. Other kids didn't like it. Teachers soon realised I never turned in work on time. Parents were frustrated I couldn't seem to learn how to have goals.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2022, 4:56 pm

I remember I had 3 huge, complicated encyclopaedias in my bedroom but I never even opened them because they looked 'boring'. I don't even know what they were doing in my room.

They made a good thing to stand on though when I couldn't reach the higher shelves.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 3:47 am

I was a curious soul, always will be

at 3 I was enrolled at school because I asked so many questions they thought I was ready to start learning there and then...

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2022, 4:29 am

^Joe that's all encyclopedias are useful for these days anyway, since the internet.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 7:49 am

I was not a little professor. I do remember my father commenting on my precocious sense of humor though.

The comments here reflect what I thought, that the "little professor" is a small percentage of ASD-1s.

Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 8:45 am

There was a period when I was, and yes, people around me called me that as well. I donned the striped shirt, the vest and the thick glasses, had several encyclopedias in my room, and held as my highest achievement knowing the questions the champions on Jeopardy! didn't know. Then I got bullied a lot in 6th grade and promptly changed stategy to blend into the crowd.

The "little professor" phase was probably just that, a phase, caused by myopia onset which made fast-paced ball games difficult and forced me to dedicate my childhood to books and VHS tapes instead.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 9:08 am

1986 wrote:
There was a period when I was, and yes, people around me called me that as well. I donned the striped shirt, the vest and the thick glasses, had several encyclopedias in my room, and held as my highest achievement knowing the questions the champions on Jeopardy! didn't know. Then I got bullied a lot in 6th grade and promptly changed stategy to blend into the crowd.

The "little professor" phase was probably just that, a phase, caused by myopia onset which made fast-paced ball games difficult and forced me to dedicate my childhood to books and VHS tapes instead.

When I was middle-school age, I got a pair of black horn-rimmed glasses that I felt good wearing, but then discovered that I'd become "famous" for wearing them (at least one kid I didn't recognize approached me on the sidewalk and asked me if I was that kid with the horn-rimmed glasses). It turned out that sort of glasses was supposedly worn only by Jewish guys, and that neighborhood was rather anti-Semitic. I am not BTW Jewish, although apparently some people in our neighborhood did think our family was Jewish.

After entering puberty though, I took the exactly opposite direction, began smoking, and tried to wear what the popular kids were wearing, although for some reason I could never find the type of clothes they wore. It seemed they all got their clothes from some secret store I couldn't find.

Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 9:24 am

MaxE wrote:
After entering puberty though, I took the exactly opposite direction, began smoking, and tried to wear what the popular kids were wearing, although for some reason I could never find the type of clothes they wore. It seemed they all got their clothes from some secret store I couldn't find.

That was me in uni. I finally got to hang out with the cool kids and did my best to maximise it. It worked for a few years, but after a major mental breakdown they all distanced themselves from me and my facade all but collapsed. Not that it was what I thought it had been anyway. I learned later that I had been known as "the guy with the crazy t-shirts".

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 11:13 am

I wasn't a little professor till I was about 9 years old, after that I definitely was for a few years, but it kind of waxed and waned over the rest of my life. I remember strongly identifying with Spock in Star Trek and thinking that logic was the only thing a person needed, but after that I got very interested in emotions and started to see that I'd be better off recognising them as an important part of the mind. Not long afterwards I developed something of an aversion to nerdy things, though the truth is that my brain always pushes me towards getting technical. It doesn't always get its way, and I still have a strong interest in feelings and art. Of course it's often useful to be good at technical things, and I'm glad I have some strong skills in that kind of thing, but I'd hate to slide too far into it and lose track of the other stuff.