Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 9:39 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I think that assuming Putin actually has more control of things unfolding than anyone else involved...

I didn't say more than anyone else involved, I just said more than most consumers of Western media assume.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you are right and that Putin is deluded and will be brought low by his folly. I made my points above and don't intend to debate the matter further.

I hope OP will accomplish a resolution to his situation, I can only wish him luck!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 9:51 am

I happen to like Russian history and culture.

But what was said upon the “western Democracies” wanting a “new world order” at the expense of poor wittle Russia is just Russian revisionist propaganda.

The amount of munitions and Russian soldiers lost in the attempted invasion of Kiev was massive. A “feint” that certainly wasn’t worth it.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 4:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I happen to like Russian history and culture.

But what was said upon the “western Democracies” wanting a “new world order” at the expense of poor wittle Russia is just Russian revisionist propaganda.

The amount of munitions and Russian soldiers lost in the attempted invasion of Kiev was massive. A “feint” that certainly wasn’t worth it.

Russia has a very different culture when it comes to war & casualties.

In the US war is something that happens overseas on TV unless your in the AF, its been this way through living memory.

In Russia its when some army comes over the hill bang down your door rape your daughters and set fire to your house. If your lucky they`ll let you live, its because of that that they feel very strongly about a foreign army (NATO) getting closer to them, think of their responses since 1945 as a kind of PTSD symptom.

They tend to accept high casulties historically having lost about 27 million in WW2 (US by comparison lost 405,000, Germany 4.3 million).

I still think the Ukraine war was wrong & a stupid tragedy that should have been avoided

- George Bernie Shaw

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 7:07 am

funeralxempire wrote:
It's also a matter of social norms. By the one culture's standards the other are emotionless robots; by the other culture's standards the other are grinning imbeciles.

I heard an American term called "Asian poker face".
In order not to cause unnecessary trouble, I decided not to share the general views of Chinese people on the demeanor of typical Americans (including/especially American born Chinese) here.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2022, 7:15 am

We Americans are supposed to be undignified and loud.

malco
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2022, 4:14 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Autism is very much a catch-all term.

I know a self-diagnosed autistic person who can barely ride a bus without missing their stop. They will be learning how to drive soon... I'll let you know how that goes. :lol:

Myself, I've been on the road for 17 years, about 80k miles driven. I operate the car well, and I'm fast, I am very confident in traffic. Driving requires my full attention, so having passengers for me is a problem, I cannot carry on a conversation while driving, I also cannot operate any device with a screen while driving, cannot use touchscreens at all. Large buttons and switches are not a problem. As for navigation, it's easy for me looking on a map, but relating it to actual surroundings is difficult for me.

Sounds an awful lot like me. Except I've been driving for about 50 years. I *hate* driving with a passenger or three. To me they are as bad as talking on a phone. Listening to the radio is OK but a conversation necessitates taking one's mind off the job at hand to think and respond. I *cannot* multi-task. Driving is fulltime job for me. To me any distraction is potentially an accident waiting to happen. I can memorize a map before my journey starts.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2022, 2:43 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It's also a matter of social norms. By the one culture's standards the other are emotionless robots; by the other culture's standards the other are grinning imbeciles.

I heard an American term called "Asian poker face".
In order not to cause unnecessary trouble, I decided not to share the general views of Chinese people on the demeanor of typical Americans (including/especially American born Chinese) here.

This only makes me more curious. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う