Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Apr 2020, 11:42 am

Good article!

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 12:40 pm

The spectrum is hugely wide so showing one point is bound to alienate the other, i.e showing severe autistics will alienate the hf aspies and vise versa for the parents and carers of those on the severe end.

Also hollywood will always sensationalize anything so the aspie will always be the maths genius that helps to save the world or the evil un emotional non charismatic psychopath that needs to be stopped.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 2:49 pm

carlos55 wrote:
The spectrum is hugely wide so showing one point is bound to alienate the other, i.e showing severe autistics will alienate the hf aspies and vise versa for the parents and carers of those on the severe end.

Also hollywood will always sensationalize anything so the aspie will always be the maths genius that helps to save the world or the evil un emotional non charismatic psychopath that needs to be stopped.

I agree with the basic premise that you are making.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

malco
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2022, 4:43 am

Interesting. I was effectively demoted from my first job. I was working a telephone exchange at the time as part of an installation team (new technology at the time). I got utterly sick of having to check the wiring work of street lackeys cheaply hired and complained which resulted in my being hauled in front of the boss for a dressing down. I was basically told to do what I was told, no questions asked. I told him that I would rather do the wiring instead of fixing everyone else's mistakes and that I could and would do it right first time. In fact because I was a "junior" they paid less attention to me than they might have and I spent idle time reading and understanding the blueprints and circuit diagrams, figured out how the whole exchange worked and ended up finding operational faults without a jot of formal training. It made no difference. My demotion was swift. But even in the "lowly" telex exchange I had an idea after several months there and set about modifying a standard piece of trunk test equipment (some of my mods were controversial I have to admit) but the result was that instead of having to alter the machine's settings every few minutes I could set it in motion and leave it for a day to do the job. I think my new boss was impressed. However I was soon after asked to go on the road with a rock band so I quit the company altogether and spent a year travelling the country which yielded a significant point in my development at the age of 24 - I finally lost my virginity to a groupie and had the night of my life about halfway through the stint. I have to add that during the telephone exchange job I was bullied by someone who probably hated the fact that he thought I knew more than he did. I had a number of disagreements with co-employees. All the time I had no idea I was actually an Aspie. I only found that out this year which explained a lot.