Has anyone ever heard of Art Without Boundaries?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SimpleTruth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2022, 12:35 pm

I had a friend decades ago that I've never forgotten. She moved away and I lost touch with her. We had so much in common. She was autistic but could function fairly well in the world. I was from an abusive home and could function okay in the world. To us, the world was crazy and we supposed we were crazy, too, so crazy was normal. It's just how things are. You wander through like Alice in Wonderland. We were both very artistic and creative. That helped us alot. I've thought about her over the years alot, have looked for her online to no avail. But not so long ago I came across this woman who works with autistic people and those with alzheimers. Since I'm an artist I was intrigued by her because the artwork for one thing was stunning that these people were doing and I'm like What????? When I really looked into it I was stunned. No Way is this happening? Anyways, it's pretty crazy. It kinda reminded me a bit of EMDR in regards to what the brain does. You never know when something is going to pop out of the woodwork that doesn't bite you. Instead it just licks you in the face. I was totally blown away by this whole thing. I wish I knew where my friend was now so I could tell her about it. :heart:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 8:54 pm

I've heard about it. I've never seen the website, though.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 10:07 pm

so what is art without boundaries?

Or a more seminal question....what is art?

SimpleTruth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Aug 2022, 3:01 am

Not sure if we can post website links here or not but just do a search for art without boundaries and you'll find it. There's a utube of what it's about as well.

The pictures these people she works with are incredible! Beautiful!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 4:45 am

I tend to believe that visual art must be aesthetically pleasing.

A pile of dung isn’t art in the vast majority of cases.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 8:14 am

I had not heard about EMDR before so I looked it up. This is what one article on the internet says:

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy, commonly known as EMDR, is a mental health therapy method. EMDR treats mental health conditions that happen because of memories from traumatic events in your past. It’s best known for its role in treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), but its use is expanding to include treatment of many other conditions.

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is a mental health treatment technique. This method involves moving your eyes a specific way while you process traumatic memories. EMDR’s goal is to help you heal from trauma or other distressing life experiences. Compared to other therapy methods, EMDR is relatively new. The first clinical trial investigating EMDR was in 1989. Dozens of clinical trials since EMDR’s development show this technique is effective and can help a person faster than many other methods.