Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 1:04 am

I was born later then I was supposed to be and I had to be given oxygen at birth.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 6:15 am

I was born 6 weeks early but I was a good weight at over 7 lbs. I'm as autistic as my dad was so I doubt being born early was the cause. A lot of things in my early life could probably have improved but worse things have happened to babies, so I'm not complaining.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 11:29 pm

My twin and I were born a month early. I weighed 3lb 13oz and my twin 4lb 6oz.

My twin had some developmental problems - she had physical therapy at around age 6 to help her develop her fine and gross motor skills. I had some of the same issues but they were deemed to be due to my bad eyesight so nothing was done.

I'm autistic, my twin is not.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 1:29 pm

I was not born prematurely, but I had low birth weight (2150 g) despite relatively high body length (53 cm measured in "Polish" way, not according to the WHO).

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Sep 2022, 6:14 pm

Yes I was born at least 3 months early. Had a rough go for awhile till I got out of the NICU (there for 3 months).

Siddiq_Sultan
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2022, 2:54 am

Yes. 2 months earlier, with asphyxiation and very weak.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 12:59 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Were you born premature? How early were you born, and do you know why you were born early? Do you think that it caused you any issues besides for autism, or worsened your autism?

I was born two and a half weeks late, with the umbilical wrapped around my neck, not breathing, and blue/purple all over.
I spent the first 24 hours of the air-breathing portion of my life in an incubator, quite a sight, apparently, being a 9-pound baby in a device often used to sustain the wee ones.

How much, if at all, this influenced my autism is unknown, beyond the idea that oxygen starvation at birth is somewhat correlated to a later autism diagnosis.

Darron

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 1:57 pm

No, in fact, I was born "late".

I then had emergency surgery two weeks later.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 10:40 pm

It says "full term" on my paperwork, so I'm fairly certain I wasn't premature. My mom doesn't tend to remember things like that so much anymore though. Sometimes my mom would say that I had jaundice at birth, but other times she says I didn't. Other than that I don't think there were any complications with my birth.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 12:39 am

2 weeks late

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Sep 2022, 9:52 pm

I was born a month or so earlier than the doc said I would be. I was full size so the doc was probably just wrong. The doc also said that I was going to be a girl but I was a boy. My mom was in labor with me for 3 days. Today they woulda done a C-section after a few hours but they really didn't want to do that back then. My mom also had morning sickness throughout her whole pregnantcy & was put on a med for naeasa that was later volentarily withdrwan from the market due to controversy about various birth defects. I'm an only child.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 10:28 pm

Fern wrote:
It says "full term" on my paperwork, so I'm fairly certain I wasn't premature. My mom doesn't tend to remember things like that so much anymore though. Sometimes my mom would say that I had jaundice at birth, but other times she says I didn't. Other than that I don't think there were any complications with my birth.

I forgot till you mentioned it. I had jaundice at birth as well.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 12:58 pm

I don't remember, I was so young at the time. :lol:

But I'm sure I wasn't born premature or my mother would have told me I was by now. She told me one time that as a baby I did all the "normal" things babies did and developed at a "normal" rate, although I did have bad colic. Also she said both my brother and I always slept through the night.