Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2023, 9:07 am

Does anyone else get super emotional over trivial things? For instance there was a Sonic meme I had open but never read the meme. The reason I didn't read the meme was because there was an annoying sound the time I went to read the meme and I got in a bad mood from the annoying sound, so I was going to read the meme later. And then I accidentally shut off my computer, the reason is because the USB is connected to 2 inputs via the same port, and the programmers didn't make the inputs separable, so I had to disable keyboard activation entirely, necessitating the need to push the actual computer button to reactivate the PC. The computer was already on at the time and it closed my browser.

I was able to find the tab again though, but before I did I assumed the tab was gone and I was having a panic attack that I would never get to see the meme. When I realized the tab had reappeared though, I felt a wave of relief, like my entire life was fulfilled and that I was complete as a person. I read the meme though and it was unfunny and lame.

Another example: I accidentally broke a piece of kit. The kit had a "meh" review rating, but at the time would be worth 300 pounds. But it could be replaced by only 100 pounds. But it still felt like I lost 300 pounds even though it would only take 100 pounds to replace it. And I felt like Mr. Krabs losing 1 cent, like it took me hours or days to get over it.

I am wondering is this a component of autism or is this just me.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 11:36 am

The second one is understandable as £100 is a lot. Probably more of a reaction to the first than most people,I don't think it's autism.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2023, 11:22 am

klanka wrote:
The second one is understandable as £100 is a lot. Probably more of a reaction to the first than most people,I don't think it's autism.

The thing is though I already had a backup piece of kit so I did not have to spend any money.

magicantian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2023, 11:40 am

I do that.
I wouldn’t say its just because you broke something, its more than that…I’ve really tried rationalizing how I can be so sensitive over things that really don’t matter and I think it just comes down to autistic people being sensitive to things like that. I’ve tried explaining this to my non-autistic mother and she did not share the same experiences as me so I think it’s just the side of the autistic spectrum we are on.

For example, there were chimes in the front of my house that disappeared after a storm and I still think about them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 3:01 pm

I just did something like that.

Got really into doing housework, and taxes, and there is a computer glitch preventing me from confirming my weekly work schedule...you click 'confirm' and nothing happens. So just out of curiosity I went to the public library - to use their computer to go online and confirm -to see what happens. Same glitch.

Anyway I got so caught up in all of this multitasking that I...lost track of what day of the week it was. Was all set to drive an hour to the worksite, but noticed that the date on my desktop computer was a day later than ...Sunday, and it was my day off monday.. the day after I was supposed to work on Sunday. So ...good news is I dont have to drive the hour to get to work. Bad news is I feel like an idiot (nobody called to say anything). I think of myself as a responsible adult who at least has...the decency to make up a lie and call in when I skip work. Lol. Telling them the truth that I "lost track of the days of the week" makes you sound like an idiot -no improvement over saying nothing. Oh well.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 3:26 pm

I got given a pen with a foot as the lid so you can stand it up. It was on my shelf one time and when I was vacuuming the cobwebs off the walls I accidentally sucked up the pen, with it's departed foot lid still on the shelf (yes, sounds funny :lol: ). My dad told me to just leave it but I was too upset and just had to take the vacuum cleaner apart to retrieve the pen, because it was just too unbearable to have the pen separated from its lid. Plus the pen was a gift from my mum, so it was special too.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 4:42 pm

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
klanka wrote:

The thing is though I already had a backup piece of kit so I did not have to spend any money.

Oh that is quite extreme, just you I suppose.

I used to get kinda worked up about stuff like that

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 2:23 am

It's less about the specifics and significances to me, but more like it traces back to my past reactions.

Reenacting unresolved crap that my child self is whining about. It is filled with a lot of misinterpretations.
And most of those things are trivial things that I wish would just get over it.

This is why I hate my 'inner child'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 10:33 am

I hate misplacing things, and I hate it when I find I'm unable to do a thing that I've previously been able to do. Even seemingly trivial things.

But "trivial" is very subjective, and it's very human to get wound up about stuff that probably isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. If it's important to you, then it's important until such time as you cease to feel so strongly about it.