Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

30 Mar 2023, 7:29 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I find I feel more social anxiety around strangers than anyone else. When you're around strangers you can't express yourself, and the unwritten rules are more tense and pressurising. Strangers judge you on the outside without considering what you're feeling, and they stare and judge if you're not a clone of them. People express their true personalities when they're interacting together, but when you're out in public you have to hide your unique personality and just be exactly the same as everyone else.

It's like last summer when me and my boyfriend were invited to a pool party. Being so we drove there my boyfriend just had his swimming shorts on and a t-shirt, because it was so hot that day. But on the way we had to go to a store to buy some drinks to bring to the party, and usually he would have went into the store but he asked me to because he said that he feels embarrassed going into the store in his swimming shorts, even though he still looked respectable. It made me think, that he had no shame in turning up to a party dressed that way, but going somewhere where there are strangers was completely different. I know that's because strangers will only judge what they see, and instead of rationalising like "well, it's a hot weekend, he's buying some drinks, it's obvious he's on his way to a pool party or to cool off somewhere", they look and go "what the hell is he wearing? What a freak! Let's stare with judgemental contempt."

And that's why I get anxiety around strangers. People who know me generally know who I am and what I'm doing, and if they are unsure then I can explain and they'll be like "oh I see", or if they do want to judge then I allow it more, because I know them. With strangers you can't explain your life or intentions to them, they only judge you from their perspective, they think everyone in public should be as mundane and emotionless as possible, all doing the same thing, and if they don't like some tiny trivial detail about you they'll communicate that by staring. And being stared at by people I don't know feels a lot more frightening than interacting with people I do know.

Probably other Aspies won't relate to this, as the typical autism way of seeing this is "not interacting with people is not frightening, it's easier! And I don't care if strangers stare because I can ignore them." But I see it the opposite way.

I dont know if its a thing, but some male shorts look like male underwear, though its to be worn outside. There's little difference lol. I guess men aren't very easily forgiven for what they wear, either.

Is your boyfriend on the spectrum?

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 4:13 am

Quote:
I dont know if its a thing, but some male shorts look like male underwear, though its to be worn outside. There's little difference lol. I guess men aren't very easily forgiven for what they wear, either.

The point is that wearing clothes that may look a bit odd is easier to do when around people you know than in public (except for formal occasions of course). Strangers in public are more judgemental and they only care what they see on the outside and are quick to judge. They suddenly think that everyone has to be exactly the same in public.

Quote:
Is your boyfriend on the spectrum?

No, he's neurotypical.

ConcreteDinosaur
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2023, 5:14 am

IamLucy2 wrote:
Does anyone have any advice how not to get overwhelmed when you have to be around a bunch of people you do not know? I do not want to draw attention to myself, just do not want to feel major anxiety.

Here are some ideas, no need to be overwhelmed by them though, and if any of them seem like they could be useful to you then give them a try.

Practice mindful breathing: Use mindful breathing techniques to help you stay centred and relaxed, without becoming overly self-conscious. Focus on deep, slow breaths, but don't fixate on them to the point of distraction.

Embrace the natural flow of conversation, while being proactive: Understand that conversations have their own rhythm, but also actively participate and engage with others to maintain the flow when needed.

Prioritize genuine interactions, while being mindful of boundaries: Foster meaningful connections by being genuine and open, but also be aware of your own and others' comfort levels to avoid coming across as intrusive.

Acknowledge your feelings of stress and develop coping strategies: Accept and recognize your feelings of anxiety, and develop coping mechanisms that work for you, such as grounding techniques or visualization exercises.

Practice "floating" through moments, while also using active coping strategies: Let go of control and allow time to pass, but also have active coping strategies in place for when you need to take action or address your anxiety.

Be an active listener and manage your anxiety: Work on being present and attentive during conversations, while also developing techniques to manage your thoughts and feelings to maintain focus.

Ask open-ended questions and gauge the other person's comfort level: Use open-ended questions to facilitate engaging conversations, but be attentive to the other person's interests and comfort level to avoid overstepping boundaries.

Cultivate self-compassion and challenge negative self-talk: Develop self-compassion and actively work on challenging negative thoughts or beliefs about yourself to improve your overall mental well-being.

Build your social skills gradually and at a comfortable pace: Progress at a pace that feels comfortable for you, and allow yourself the time and space to learn from experiences and refine your social skills.

Consider professional help if necessary and explore different approaches: If you feel that your social anxiety is severely impacting your life, seek professional help and explore various therapeutic approaches to find the right fit for your needs.