Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 9:56 pm

"I am going to join a club and beat you over the head with it" ( Groucho Marx) :skull: 8O :D

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 9:57 pm

i wouldn't join any club that would have me. [marx again]

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 12:06 am

last club in was in, with intention, was 1983, it was seattle's central tavern ["the only 2nd class tavern in seattle"] where i watched blues harpist charlie musselwhite in action. i went just for the music and got partially deafened in the process, why oh WHY do they [clubs in general] have to play it so GD LOUD??! ! :ncool:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 12:08 am

in 1999 i entered a drinking establishment to ask somebody the location of a certain church where my eldest niece was about to be married, and a guy told me succinct directions. only upon exiting the joint did it thunderclap-occur to me that everybody was male, and they were all staring at me. 8O

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 12:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:
By the 70s in the US we didn't really have clubs as they are known today, and not because of the drinking age because it was still 18 at that time. But the white "counter-culture" wasn't really into dancing. The preferred way to have a good time in public was to get totally wasted on weed then sit in a concert nodding one's head in time to the music.

Discos and rollerskating rinks in the late 1970s were literally pickup joints.I remember random girls coming up to me as a teenager in 1979/1980 in a local skate rink.

A lot Italian men took advantage of the popularity of John Travolta and became popular in discos so much so that I associate discos with glitter balls, muscle shirts, slicked back hair and gold chains.

I loved going to the roller rink around 1979-1981, I loved the strobe lights and the loud music. I imagined myself as hot stuff like Xanadu or something. :) I've never had an issue with loud music, if it's music I like.

Some dude named Manuel who worked at the skate exchange tried to get with me. I was about 12 and he was about 20. I wish I could remember it better but I know I was scared of him and that's why I didn't go back.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 1:45 am

I always associated Melbourne discos with hairy Italian and Greek men. They were all great dancers. The music at the time was primarily Grease, KC and the Sunshine band and the Bee Gees

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 1:49 am

MaxE wrote:
It's possible discos were more mainstream in Australia than in the US. As for roller rinks, I wouldn't know. I imagine they're a bit like clubs with the loud music, but somewhat less intense. Also I spent much of the late 70s in a relationship and wasn't looking for pickup joints, but I really don't recall roller rinks being that much of a thing, like a place where you could go in and girls would hit on you without any idea who you were, like it's my impression they were sort of blue-collar and to succeed there you'd have to be from that neighborhood i.e. if a girl knew something about your sister you'd be good but if you showed up from the other side of town you'd more likely just get into a fight.

Roller discos were huge in Australia in the late 1970s and early 1980s. You had the roller rinks and attached to the rink was a pinball arcade and a makeshift licensed bar.

In the daytime it was most highschool students. For some reason the girls were overley friendly with all the music/lights/skating. It was (when I think back) quite fun.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 2:03 am

MaxE wrote:
Well roller rinks as Cyberdad said aren't the same as roller discos, as I understand it. It's possible roller rinks had disco nights but how many people really could perform disco dancing on roller skates?

I believe you that you went to discos at that time, having lived in NY. I lived in the Capital District until the end of 1977 then moved to the DC area. Never heard of anybody going to discos. I had a roommate in the DC area who had been a campaign manager for a congresswoman. He certainly had more social skills than I although TBH he had his own issues, but he never mentioned anything about going to discos. I totally agree with the premise that the era was sexually permissive but had no experience meeting hookups in a disco.

I never went to Discos. I was uncoordinated and unfashionable and hated the music at the time. During the 80s I sometimes went to rock discos/New wave clubs(solo of course) because I was and still am very much into that sound.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 2:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
[
I never went to Discos. I was uncoordinated and unfashionable and hated the music at the time. During the 80s I sometimes went to rock discos/New wave clubs(solo of course) because I was and still am very much into that sound.

To be honest, most people couldn't dance

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 2:14 am

i never got the point of dancing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 3:29 am

auntblabby wrote:

If you watch the movie "Dirty Dancing" you'll understand why dancing to mainstream music was considered devil music/movement back in the 1950s

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 3:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

If you watch the movie "Dirty Dancing" you'll understand why dancing to mainstream music was considered devil music/movement back in the 1950s

frank sinatra maintained that it was the closest thing to having sex with somebody.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:37 am

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

frank sinatra maintained that it was the closest thing to having sex with somebody.

When done right!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 10:30 am

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 11:27 am

Piece by Iggy Pop, very poignant ... good choice ....fits the thread perfectly :D

where ever you go ,there you are

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 11:49 am

Jakki wrote:
Piece by Iggy Pop, very poignant ... good choice ....fits the thread perfectly :D

Thank you.

I like to find songs that fit threads. For autism it is more difficult because most songs that I find relatable were not written about autism.