Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 6:09 pm

When my boss (who has a degree in psychology) found out, she was like "I told you a year ago that I thought you could be autistic". :lol: Indeed she did..... I just didn't think it was a real possibility at the time. I had to learn about the actual diagnostic criteria before I really accepted the likelihood. Lo and behold....

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 6:14 pm

There have been two other autistic employees at work that I'm aware of. One is a bagger and one used to be a greeter but now works at a zoo.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 5:45 am

cheering you on, one of the best parts for me, about finding about my autism is learning I am not alone, but that there are others who know and understand! <3

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 1:30 pm

I recommend not researching the test in advance...knowing how to do an assessment is their job.

I second-guessed a few things about my assessment. All it accomplished was making me look silly.

However, I made a list of the various records I thought would be helpful. I actually gave the assessor not just the list but a copy of all of the records...I don't know if it helped, at all. The only thing I am sure the assessor looked closely at was a journal my Mom made for my first year of life.

And give some thought about who else might be able to talk about you. Don't necessarily take them to the assessment but be prepared to tell the assessor about them. My bride came with me to the assessment and took some written questionnaires regarding me, and we asked my Dad a few questions, too.

But I definitely recommend three things:
- Be honest and cooperative for the test.
- Be yourself for the test.
- Have fun! Enjoy the test!

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 3:26 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I recommend not researching the test in advance...knowing how to do an assessment is their job.

I second-guessed a few things about my assessment. All it accomplished was making me look silly.

However, I made a list of the various records I thought would be helpful. I actually gave the assessor not just the list but a copy of all of the records...I don't know if it helped, at all. The only thing I am sure the assessor looked closely at was a journal my Mom made for my first year of life.

And give some thought about who else might be able to talk about you. Don't necessarily take them to the assessment but be prepared to tell the assessor about them. My bride came with me to the assessment and took some written questionnaires regarding me, and we asked my Dad a few questions, too.

But I definitely recommend three things:
- Be honest and cooperative for the test.
- Be yourself for the test.
- Have fun! Enjoy the test!

Oh yeah, definitely don't want to know what the tests will include beforehand. I want the results to be as natural as possible. :)

During our intake appointment the Dr did ask if I took any online tests like the ASQ and what my scores were. Among, y'know, the obvious about what traits I have and what my childhood was like. She says there will be a questionairre that I can have up to 3 people fill out about me, and she said my mother and my boss (since my boss clocked me as autistic before) should two of those.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 4:02 pm

The other day my boss and another management level person were talking about me being autistic (I was there) and they were like "dang, her doctors should have caught it a long time ago" :lol: I took that to mean that it's fairly obvious to anyone who knows what to look for, so I laughed.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 4:03 pm

Sounds good! :thumright:

Usually they test children and I was 64. Parts of the assessment were clearly designed for children. I see no reason that it would've affected the accuracy of the result but it amused me and seemed to embarrass the psychologist assessing me.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 8:29 pm

Tomorrow is the day! I'm excited

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 8:44 pm

I hope the appointment works well for you.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 10:44 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Tomorrow is the day! I'm excited

Good luck, hopefully, you'll get an answer that helps clarify the issue and points toward things that can help bring you better quality of life.

theboogieman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2023, 10:16 am

Wishing you luck! I go in for my screening with a psychologist today. Both excited because I've spent the last three months really trying to find words for my emotions and struggles, but I also have a history of not being taken seriously medically for suggesting I may be on the spectrum.

Peace and love!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 12:15 pm

theboogieman wrote:
Wishing you luck! I go in for my screening with a psychologist today. Both excited because I've spent the last three months really trying to find words for my emotions and struggles, but I also have a history of not being taken seriously medically for suggesting I may be on the spectrum.

Peace and love!

I think it's pretty common to feel autistic enough to go through the effort to get the evaluation, then get very anxious that you're not autistic enough to be diagnosed while waiting for the appointments. At least I hope it is, because that's how I'm feeling

The good thing though is that you'll get a report that explains what the decision was and why. Which will hopefully result in done closure and a sense of what to do next.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 1:00 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
theboogieman wrote:

Peace and love!

I think it's pretty common to feel autistic enough to go through the effort to get the evaluation, then get very anxious that you're not autistic enough to be diagnosed while waiting for the appointments. At least I hope it is, because that's how I'm feeling

The good thing though is that you'll get a report that explains what the decision was and why. Which will hopefully result in done closure and a sense of what to do next.

Totally normal.
I actually feel pretty alright about it. I wouldn't have paid nearly 1k if I wasn't fairly confident that I'd get diagnosed. But even there the fear that I might not get diagnosed after all that trouble is still there. It's nothing Earth shattering, but it's there.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 3:16 pm

I think more details will follow, but the Dr did say after completing the assessment tests that I meet the diagnostic criteria

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 4:06 pm

colliegrace wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
theboogieman wrote:

Peace and love!

Totally normal.
I actually feel pretty alright about it. I wouldn't have paid nearly 1k if I wasn't fairly confident that I'd get diagnosed. But even there the fear that I might not get diagnosed after all that trouble is still there. It's nothing Earth shattering, but it's there.

Same, the more writing I do on my DSM examples assignment, the more confident I am that I'm not a fake.

Congrats on your diagnosis.

theboogieman

07 Jun 2023, 6:33 pm

colliegrace wrote:
I think more details will follow, but the Dr did say after completing the assessment tests that I meet the diagnostic criteria

This is so exciting! Wishing you all the luck in the world on your journey and excited to hear more.

I just got back from my screening and we are proceeding with an evaluation! This is a huge relief after being blown off by my psychiatrist for 10+ years. I will also update after my evaluation.