Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 5:35 pm

Did any one here watch it? And Do you think this movie will help others better understand Asperger Syndrome? Or simply write your general opinion of the movie. :P

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 5:41 pm

It looks to be quite good. Hope it get's released soon.

Last edited by eamonn on 03 Jan 2006, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2006, 5:44 pm

I think that the movie hasn't been released yet. The person that the movie was based on is actually a member here. If you are adept you may find him having posted recently in Members Only Forum. Jerry Newport is his name. Maybe you should PM him and invitehim into this topic?

Will this movie help others understand what we are living? Did Rain Man help others? It may have helped others who had characteristics of his come to grips and maybe seek a formal diagnosis. It may help family members who still think we are just (I don't know what they think) who just don't want to have anything to do with us.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 6:10 pm

Wat . . . did I miss it? Was it released and I didn't know? This couldn't be... I have kept one ear and one eye open for this movie.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 6:31 pm

According to IMDB.com:
Release dates for
Mozart and the Whale (2005)
Country Date
Brazil 10 September 2005 (DVD premiere)
USA 21 October 2005
Thailand 2 February 2006

But this information may be flaw...

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 6:39 pm

IMDB has a reputation for being a bit off.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 7:37 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:
IMDB has a reputation for being a bit off.

yeah, I think they wrote a typo about the movie premiering as a DVD in Brazil.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 7:55 pm

pad wrote:

That's true it did premier as a DVD in Brazil.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2006, 8:00 pm

eamonn wrote:
pad wrote:

That's true it did premier as a DVD in Brazil.

Thanks for clarifying.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 3:00 am

Jerry has often posted on this topic, quite aggressively I might add, that there is no set release date for Mozart and the Whale. They have not reached a deal with any distributors. I do recall, though, Jerry posting that they were getting close to a deal with a distributor a short time back. I wonder what happened with that.
Personally, I doubt very much that the movie will help anyone understand anything beyond that we're a little ret*d in areas but want to be normal. Those two main characters were really quite dysfunctional, and very obvious in their inability to fit in. The audience emotional response to the movie would probably be like "Awww, poor thing", and that's all. The one area I think it succeeds in is showing the different ways autism can exhibit itself, that it's an individual thing. It also gives characters we can relate to and say "hey, she/he's almost exactly like me, that's what I'm like". I think they should have had a character who showed they were aware of reality, but didn't connect with people, didn't have much interest in people, and had communication troubles. They had that blonde girl and the guy with the whisk and various, but they all just had a blank stare, they didn't really show much awareness, like they were permanently zoning out. I don't know, perhaps that is still how you look when you're aware but disinterested, it's just not how I picture it.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2006, 4:01 pm

[quote="danlo"]Jerry has often posted on this topic, quite aggressively I might add, that there is no set release date for Mozart and the Whale. They have not reached a deal with any distributors. I do recall, though, Jerry posting that they were getting close to a deal with a distributor a short time back.

I wonder what happened with that.

Jerry: Really? Now if that is the case and you knew this thread was ongoing, you could have asked me :) It would have taken you less time than you devoted to carving up the movie....

The present situation is that there is no deal YET. My last comment about that was about the time that the industry goes brain-dead with the holiday party binge so nothing to report EXCEPT that the movie was invited to another festival in Santa Barbara, California for February. Whether it goes or not should be known pretty soon.

But, hey, your review is your opinion to which you are certainly entitled. I would hope that people interested in public opinion will check out the reviews at www.imdb.com I am not sure what version of MATW you saw but it hardly sounds like the one I and many others have seen.

However, thanks for your interest and opinion,

The Whale fka Jerry Newport

Personally, I doubt very much that the movie will help anyone understand anything beyond that we're a little ret*d in areas but want to be normal. Those two main characters were really quite dysfunctional, and very obvious in their inability to fit in. The audience emotional response to the movie would probably be like "Awww, poor thing", and that's all.

Hmmm... I know about 200 folks at the last ASA conference who would take issue with that :)

pad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 5:44 pm

TheWhale wrote:
danlo wrote:
Jerry has often posted on this topic, quite aggressively I might add, that there is no set release date for Mozart and the Whale. They have not reached a deal with any distributors. I do recall, though, Jerry posting that they were getting close to a deal with a distributor a short time back.

I wonder what happened with that.

Jerry: Really? Now if that is the case and you knew this thread was ongoing, you could have asked me :) It would have taken you less time than you devoted to carving up the movie....

The present situation is that there is no deal YET. My last comment about that was about the time that the industry goes brain-dead with the holiday party binge so nothing to report EXCEPT that the movie was invited to another festival in Santa Barbara, California for February. Whether it goes or not should be known pretty soon.

But, hey, your review is your opinion to which you are certainly entitled. I would hope that people interested in public opinion will check out the reviews at www.imdb.com I am not sure what version of MATW you saw but it hardly sounds like the one I and many others have seen.

However, thanks for your interest and opinion,

Personally, I doubt very much that the movie will help anyone understand anything beyond that we're a little ret*d in areas but want to be normal. Those two main characters were really quite dysfunctional, and very obvious in their inability to fit in. The audience emotional response to the movie would probably be like "Awww, poor thing", and that's all.

Hmmm... I know about 200 folks at the last ASA conference who would take issue with that :)

The Whale a.k.a. Jerry thank you for responding! Your right I should've private message you. Hopefully and eventually this movie will come around my location and I will see it! I wish you only the best with this or should I say your movie and hope this movie will give off more asperger like movies in the future! The more the better! :P

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2006, 7:35 pm

Pad,

I hope I didn't put anyone off by my response to the last "review" of the movie. Hell, if it ever gets in theaters, there will be thousands, hopefully millions of people who see it and the movie will get some reviews a lot harsher than that! Thanks for being interested in it, all of you!!

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jan 2006, 7:37 pm

TheWhale wrote:
Pad,

I hope I didn't put anyone off by my response to the last "review" of the movie. Hell, if it ever gets in theaters, there will be thousands, hopefully millions of people who see it and the movie will get some reviews a lot harsher than that! Thanks for being interested in it, all of you!!

I thought that it was already picked up for movie distribution?

jman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2006, 11:58 pm

I have seen MATW and I have to agree with Jerry, It doesn't seem to give a good understanding of AS, though they do give a good potrayal of how some aspies. It seems in the movie they didn't explain AS too well.

Shoe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2006, 4:03 am

TheWhale wrote:
I am not sure what version of MATW you saw but it hardly sounds like the one I and many others have seen.

Based on your comments here and in IMDB you seem to be of the opinion that anyone with negative feelings towards the movie is inherently wrong. The subject matter is something many people feel very strongly about there's no way it could have been made in a way that everyone in the world would like it. I had problems with the way the characters were presented as well but it doesn't mean I don't feel people shouldn't watch it and make up their own mind.

I did enjoy the story. I had a very similar "not being able to leave for a date" thing happen to me once. In my case it was also the last date with her but it could have gone either way.