Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

theperson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2009, 7:49 am

Okay when you think about non-verbal means wordless while verbal describes words and language/speech.
So if someone had a verbal communication disorder it would be this:
Language Delays: They have a harder time expressing themselves and sometimes may say the wrong things or frequently say the wrong things.
Speech Delay: Also known as a speech impediment, they may stutter, clutter or other things like that.
Social Communication Delays: Language delays can cause this but sometimes it can range differently like sometimes the child may have problems with language and may say the wrong things and irriate the other person or annoy them, while if they have speech delays they would be able to communicate but they would have trouble with there vocalization also sometimes making it seem like they cannot communicate or that they have adequate language and speech but do not know how to sustain a conversation or iniate one.
Writing Delays: There writing will not be up to there peers level and
this is also from having language problems.

Non-Verbal Communication
Figurative Language: They may take things literally or misinterpret frequently.
Communication: They may be able not to read faces or be able to read between the lines like sometimes lets say Eric is playing soccer and it is using words to describe an event, Eric was running up and down the field while chasing a black and white ball and he shot at the net. * I am not saying he is playing soccer I am giving clues.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 8:46 am

Stuttering and cluttering are not speech delays. They are disorders of fluency. An example of a speech delay would be a kid who is four years old, but their speech is unintelligible because maybe they have a limited phonological (speech sound) repertoire, or they have immature phonological patterns in their speech (like 'gog' for 'dog').

An example of a language delay would be a kid who is 4 but can't produce grammatically accurate sentences, like maybe he leaves out function words ('I want eat'). Or maybe he has a really small vocabulary, or has difficulty understanding what other people say. It doesn't have so much to do with "things coming out wrong" as having a delay in grammatical development (syntax), understanding the meaning of words (semantics), having a limited expressive vocabulary, etc.