Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BadPuddle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2009, 4:55 pm

Does anyone do this?
My NT other half loves watching a 'good weepie.' Not that there is such a thing in my mind! I have quizzed her about this and she says it's enjoyable to have a cry-fest, especially if you're already feeling a bit out of sorts. Now these films either bore me, leave me cold, or have to be avoided. Frankly, I don't want to be upset about some cute animal, nice person, or some other sympathetic character dying/suffering etc.
I can't understand by anyone would voluntarily be upset. The very idea perplexes me. :chin: Am I missing something here or does anyone else 'get' this?
:?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 6:05 pm

I never used to cry at films, now I'm the opposite I became a proper softy as I got older.
I cry when I see child birth on TV for some reason, I'd make a crap midwife lol.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 6:13 pm

I used to not cry at films ever and if forced to watch a rediculous sap-fest, I found the 'emotional' parts to be extremely hilarious (E.g. Leonardo DiCaprio sinking like the proverbial rock in Titanic :lol:). As I have gotten older and experienced pain and betrayal that have left me with emotional scars, I find myself more easily moved by a tragic love story or the like. Or I can feel pain when I see a portrayal of a selfless and loyal friend because mine have been anything but and I long for that kind of dedication.

I do not, however, enjoy inflicting that kind of pain on myself and will change the channel or leave the room if something is causing me distress. I still detest chick-flicks and will never intentionally seek them out.

However, there are some songs that remind me of a painful memory that I will sometimes listen to because they are good songs and are powerful. I love powerful music. Usually, I will avoid even these if I am not in a strong enough emotional state to avoid crying.

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2009, 6:14 pm

BadPuddle wrote:
Does anyone do this?
My NT other half loves watching a 'good weepie.' Not that there is such a thing in my mind! I have quizzed her about this and she says it's enjoyable to have a cry-fest, especially if you're already feeling a bit out of sorts. Now these films either bore me, leave me cold, or have to be avoided. Frankly, I don't want to be upset about some cute animal, nice person, or some other sympathetic character dying/suffering etc.
I can't understand by anyone would voluntarily be upset. The very idea perplexes me. :chin: Am I missing something here or does anyone else 'get' this?
:?

I'm guessing you've never watched I am legend then.....

I don't really cry when watching films as such but I do get lumps in my throat quite, for some reason I always seem to stop myself crying, I don't know if this is a good thing or not.

Oh and btw monkey, I seen a video on youtube the other week with a teenager giving birth (it wasn't real but it looked it, it was also featured on sky news) I don't think that video will make you cry (I can't remember what it's called sorry) :lol:

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2009, 6:37 pm

I love to watch some weapy films, they make me feel real emotions without pushing me over the edge.
As i have no joy in my life at the moment, they help me feel more human.

Jsmitheh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2009, 2:56 am

I have teared, but not cried. Sometimes I laugh at inappropriate movies in films, and not really at anything in particular, things just pop into my head :? .

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 3:20 am

Just once have I felt sad at a movie (I think I even shed a tear).

When Stitch was dying in Lilo & Stitch 2; I think I associated him with my canine brother at the time and if he was dying, or perhaps it was the first and only time I've felt empathy.

I like Stitch.

EvoVari
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2009, 3:54 am

I watched a DVD last night called, "7 Pounds", with Will Smith. It was horribly sad, I complained when I returned it to the outlet.

mosto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2009, 4:12 am

I cry all the time in most films and I have Aspergers. I even cried in Ice Age 2 ffs. Although the last movie I saw was Dragonball and I found that the most boring movie ever. Oh, I have seen The Day After Tomorrow since then, and I cried during that, only out of frustration at the propaganda use effect on the gullible public about global warming etc. But most films I cry in only because they make me have self pity, not from something that's actually in the plot of the film

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 11:21 am

I cry during a lot of movies. Most people don't cry at movies as much as I do...
The strange thing is, in real-life situations that are supposed to make emotional, I don't feel anything. When witnessing a story on the screen, however, I can get very touched, even if it's not a very sad story.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Filip
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2009, 11:47 am

I don't cry often when I see movies, but there are a few exceptions. Like Ben X, an Asperger movie (in the movie there is an happy ending, but in real life the boy did commit suicide). And sometimes I can get tears in my eyes without really crying (or does that count also?).

04 Jun 2009, 12:21 pm

I hate crying at films. I know it's all fake but I can't help but feel sad for the characters. I have cried at a Disney Film The Lion King because Simba's father died.

Luckily I don't cry often at films.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm

I'm not emotional, but I'm pretty sensitive. Much more than I used to think I was.

I also get affected by movies lately. I saw UP, and I didn't cry but I got teared up.

Or any epic story with characters, when I get done... I'm sad that I'll won't experience these characters again.

I kind of hate things that are really sappy emotional though. I like the more 'real' down to earth type of beauty of everyday existence type of movie...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 12:32 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I hate crying at films. I know it's all fake but I can't help but feel sad for the characters. I have cried at a Disney Film The Lion King because Simba's father died.

The last time I watched The Lion King (a couple months ago), I skipped past the part where Mufasa dies. It's so sad. :cry:

Justin227

05 Jun 2009, 2:40 pm

I was going to make a thread on this same thing. I guess I'm in the right place, we all think some what alike.
The only movie I've watched and cried over was at the end of the "Shawshank Redemption."
Other than that, no, I don't cry during movies.

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2009, 2:56 pm

Given the difficulty I had experiencing my feelings in my youth, I am now grateful to be moved to tears by a movie. A poster said something like "I know it's fake..." but that really doesn't matter. "Knowing" is of the mind, while feelings will come regardless of what one thinks..