Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 10:20 pm

Every now and then, I get in the mood for a certain CD and I'll play it over and over, sometimes for weeks at a time, while driving. I just like to play CDs until I'm tired of them; sometimes that takes a while. :lol: My daughter thinks it's odd that I do this, but personally I think it's pretty normal. She recently asked me to turn off the CD player while we were driving because I'd had the same CD in since the last week of April. So, please help us settle the argument: is this fairly normal behavior, or am I being odd?

Regards,

Patricia

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2009, 10:24 pm

It's normal. I do this and anyone who loves music probably does it too.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 10:29 pm

I've been like that before.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 10:32 pm

Good! I'll tell her that someone else agrees with me next time she complains. :lol:

Regards,

Patricia

Justin227
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2009, 11:03 pm

I'd say a bit obsessive. Like I mentioned in another thread I can get stuck on songs. It's more than just finding a new album or artist I like. I actually can listen to the same song over and over again. Hours on end, whole road trips too.
Hahaha, actually I remember driving with a friend from Michigan to Boston and playing this particular debbie gibson song the entire way there.
(usually dont like that kind of music so don't judge, lol.) But, yeah this certain song I just had to listen to it again and again. I do this often, the majority of the time it's how I listen to music. Find a song listen to it for endless hours for a week or longer and then loose interest and move onto the next song.
I wonder if this is fairly common in Asperger's. It would seem to be.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 11:24 pm

I've been listening to the same 40 songs for 3 years. Never gets old, cause it's great music. :)

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 11:57 pm

I can listen to a great track of music over and over and over again. Each time I notice something a little bit more than the last. I have a tendency to do this when I'm home alone so that I don't bother others.

I think listening to the same CD is somewhat normal; it's the number of repetitions that's more unusual and appealing to some autistic folks.

hostilebanana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2009, 2:28 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
I can listen to a great track of music over and over and over again. Each time I notice something a little bit more than the last. I have a tendency to do this when I'm home alone so that I don't bother others.

I am exactly the same.

For the past 3 weeks I have been listening to Morgan Page - The Longest Road (Deadmau5 Remix)

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 3:48 am

pschristmas wrote:
So, please help us settle the argument: is this fairly normal behavior, or am I being odd?

It is quite normal -at least to the extent I am "normal" (whatever this may means): My lover is complaining since we moved together that I do play to much J.S. Bach and he can't stand any more the Art of Fugue after repeating the 3th and 4th contrapunctus the 6th of 7th time on one afternoon.

So - don't worry.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 7:45 am

Yeah, I have some individual songs I listen to like that as well. The CD player in the car doesn't have an automatic repeat option for single tracks, so I have to hit the back button a lot, but when I'm at home I can play the same track over and over all night when I get the urge. Problem is, I can't seem to do anything but pace while I listen to a song like that, so I don't let myself do it often.

Regards,

Patricia

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 1:40 pm

I do all the things above ! !

Years ago I had a tape with Hotel California recorded over and over again -15 times each side ! !!

I still like that song :)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 2:02 pm

it's not normal.. but then there is no such thing as normal. ;)

x-celevision
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2009, 7:12 pm

"Anna Molly" by Incubus... I was stuck on that one for quite a while. When I like a song, it is like a fresh piece of gum; I have to chew it until all the flavor runs out... but sometimes I keep on chewing :P

is where my music can be heard

or just google "ryme styne"

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2009, 7:17 pm

Most people I know listen to the same 5 or so CDs all the time and switch out like 1 a month. So yeah, its pretty normal lol.

Personally, I dislike listening to the same CD within the same month, with an exception of 10 CDs or something.
Right now my music collection is nearing 40,000 songs O_O

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 10:39 pm

I used to do that with my 70s punk CDs, two years ago. I've rediscovered The Kinks and The Beatles since than, and I listen to a more wider variety of music. I still love punk music. I always will.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 1:11 am

Whenever I'm home alone, I have a tendency to put on this fantastic CD by a quebecois fiddler from Gaspe. The music is very rhythmic yet crookedly syncopated, circular, and just really hypnotic. I could listen to the first track over and over again.