Page 5 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:17 am

Wombat wrote:
[...] but I don't think that they should be soldiers [...]

I'd like to watch you explain that to my cousin (in the armed forces.) :lol:

"You shouldn't be in your career; you're female, you know. You should just leave and find a more appropriate one." :lol:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:26 am

Wombat wrote:
I don't think that "the sexes are equal".

I see no reason why women shouldn't be accountants, doctors, scientists etc but I don't think that they should be soldiers, firefighters, or construction workers.

A job should be open to anyone who can do it, or who can do it with a reasonable amount of support, I think.

The year is still young.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:47 am

Although I am male along the lines of Crassus, it doesn't mean I can't be sensitive, caring, loving, nurturing, or anything traditionally associated with a female role. There is no need for artificial, societal limits. I simply am. In some cultures, males fill a wide variety of social roles that are traditionally relegated to females here in the states.

And being this way can have definite benefits! http://www.positive-way.com/men,.htm

So get out there and do some housework, guys ;)

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2009, 3:43 am

I am male but identify more as androgynous than as masculine.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 3:49 am

You're talking about merely gender identity, right? Not the things associated with each gender, of which I'd say I'm a pretty equal split?

I can tolerate being a guy most of the time. Doesn't mean I like it, and it's only most of the time that I can tolerate it. I'd prefer to be a girl. Doesn't mean I'd be particularly girly, just that I'd prefer it.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 1:13 pm

For most of my life I have felt like I am a third gender. I am definitely heterosexual, but I'm not like the average guy. Once when I was given a test by a psychologist, he told me that one of the findings of the test was that I am significantly less masculine than most males. Also all my life my closest pals have been female, and the majority of my female friends grew up as Tom Boys.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:45 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
Although I am male along the lines of Crassus, it doesn't mean I can't be sensitive, caring, loving, nurturing, or anything traditionally associated with a female role. There is no need for artificial, societal limits. I simply am. In some cultures, males fill a wide variety of social roles that are traditionally relegated to females here in the states.

And being this way can have definite benefits! http://www.positive-way.com/men,.htm

So get out there and do some housework, guys ;)

A vacuum cleaner is just another power tool! :lol:

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:57 pm

I'm a guy. I'm very very attracted to women. 8) I look very masculine (triathlete). But I'm not really the manly man as portrayed in the popular culture. I've read Jane Austen. I've decorated my house. I used to work as a designer. I'm very sensitive. I like baths. I'm frequently at a coffee shop. Etc.... But also a full auto rifle brings a big grin to my face, I like to spend time in the wilderness, I drive an offroad vehicle...

I get along with women better than men, although I have a lot of guy friends too.

I do not identify with the macho culture.

So yeah definitely somewhere in between.

Last edited by Dilbert on 22 Jun 2009, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 7:55 pm

Dilbert wrote:
I like baths. Often at a coffee shop.

Er... I hope you wear a swimsuit.

:lol:

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 8:56 pm

outlier wrote:
Wombat wrote:
[...] but I don't think that they should be soldiers [...]

I'd like to watch you explain that to my cousin (in the armed forces.) :lol:

"You shouldn't be in your career; you're female, you know. You should just leave and find a more appropriate one." :lol:

I was armed forces and female, and I do kinda agree with wombat, but disagree as well. I think an all women military will be better than an all male one, with many more issues too, but overall better when it comes to results. Don't knock it. Ask any marine, it is proven that the females are more aggressive. PMS right (lol). But I don't think military should be co-ed. Men can't handle it. Why?

1. They deploy long lengths of time away from family. According to NATO, they are not allowed to have sex in war zones with locals, not even the single ones. So they really have to be celibate during deployments. The last thing they need is a woman showering near them. Makes it hard on the wives too. I've heard many military wives worry about the females they deploy with because some, like myself ;) , are really cute.
2. They distract them because, oh look, boobs.
3. Men are raised with the idea of loving and protecting women, so when they are in battle with women on their side, they will risk the lives of their soldiers, the mission itself, and everything to go beyond the call of duty to protect those women. We already brainwashed them to do that, and I don't personally believe that should be undone.
4. Some females remind them of females at home in deployments, like their mothers, their daughters, sisters, wives, etc. Its one thing to watch a buddy die in front of you, it's another to be someone that resembles someone close to you that you have sworn to protect and someone you haven't seen in a while that you won't get to see for a while.
5. Also, more veteran females are raped (I think more than double) than civilian females. It's worse than a college campus. I can only assume it is NOT because females in the military are more vulnerable to rape because of something they do (like being trained to kill) as much as the problem being the men.
6. The military is still behind in some areas on facilities for women (I hear more in the Army Guard and Coast Guard than anywhere else)
7. Finally, being a little facetious, the uniform does make you look fat

But I will say women who are willing to go butch for their military career will succeed better and most of my reasons above wouldn't pertain to them. When I say butch, women who cut their hair short, not wear make up, etc. Like Mulan. The reason isn't because of gender identity. The military seeks to destroy gender identity through the uniform. Men have short hair in the military, and the more women and men who stick to the uniform where you couldn't tell one apart from the other, the better they do. Like one army unit tended to cut their hair shorter than what was required. One guy refused to cut his hair that short. He was treated as an outcast for that reason. The fact that he refused to cut his hair shorter told his team that he didn't want to be a part of it. Plus in all honesty, when deployed in Iraq or somewhere like it, I think women would be more comfortable with a very short hair cut anyway. It's also better in those environments to not shave your legs....ewwww lol. So I guess in the end the only way I believe women belong in a co-ed military is if they refuse to stick to their gender roles, something I wasn't willing to do.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:37 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Arright yer bastage... edited for clarity.

Ironically I have and often use a swimsuit. And a wetsuit. My kind of swims tend to have 1499 other people there with me however... all kicking and stroking at the same time. And a 112 mile bike ride afterwards, and then a marathon. Look here: http://www.youtube.com/user/IronmanTriathlon

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 4:33 am

Tantybi wrote:
So I guess in the end the only way I believe women belong in a co-ed military is if they refuse to stick to their gender roles, something I wasn't willing to do.

That's very interesting, Tantybi. My cousin is butch, and is also a lesbian. She's tells some interesting stories. For instance, she mentions how some of the women are gay (and try to hide it.)

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 11:21 am

DonkeyBuster wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Och! Speaking as a feline, there is nothing wrong with a good public bath in the buff. Why, I do it all the time myself!! ! Just a sec here, let me fire up the webcam...

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 3:58 pm

I have very little amount of gender identity. Technically, I am female, but I've had my gender mistaken before and it doesn't bother me. I don't fall into the typical female role for society, nor for the typical male role.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 5:14 pm

I often used to feel in between, not truly one or the other, nothing in fact. I started getting in touch with my feminine side around five years ago and its really coming together now. I learned how to put a wardrobe together with clothes capsules after looking at good female role models like my GP and a few other females who really know how to be the correct gender. I am still working on it and this week I learned how to apply make up properly.

My daughter is good at being a girl and my own mother was very into high heels. I doubt I will ever do high heels because my feet are small and it would be too hard to balance.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 6:38 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
DonkeyBuster wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Och! Speaking as a feline, there is nothing wrong with a good public bath in the buff. Why, I do it all the time myself!! ! Just a sec here, let me fire up the webcam...

OMG!! ! You heartless fiend! :o
My eyes, my eyes... where are the safety goggles? 8)

OK, enough frivolity... we must return to the thread topic my soggy friend... :lol: