Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 12:23 pm

^^ Greetings everyone. I have been happily diagnosed with High Functioning Autism in February however I am often worried that this diagnosis may be incorrect. One such reason is that I am worried I do not possess a special interest. ^^ However, I very happily realized that I very much enjoy playing video games and find great difficulty in not playing them, (MMORPG's in particular) when I have no workies to complete or any other activites to complete and this has been the case since I began playing video games. Also I think of them a very large amount when not playing (and also create my own ideas for how they may be adapted). However, I play rather a variety of games and when I possess an obsession with one particular game (such as World of Warcraft) I often become very wobbly and create a number of characters and do not play a large an amount of other humans. Perhaps manga and books are also another special interest, however I often possess not enough monies to keep purchasing them. May I ask, may any of these be perhaps special interests for me? Sorry for bothering everyone.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2009, 12:37 pm

Sounds fairly intent to me, especially when you say you have 'great difficulty not playing them.' I think we're (myself included) over-represented as gamers of the more hardcore persuasion. Basically everyone in the autism group I go to under the age of 40 is unusually preoccupied by gaming! I think the moniker of "special" interest only applies to intensity, not whether or not it's necessarily a unique interest.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 12:40 pm

What CMaximus said.

Also, you don't have to have a special interest to be diagnosed with aspergers/autism.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2009, 12:43 pm

hav a video game an biology obsession, I know AS teens with no special interests at alldon't worry it is different on different people

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 3:38 pm

My special interests come and go. Some last weeks, some months, and some even years. I've still got some of the same ones after 15+ years, no joke. But for the past 3 years or so, World of Warcraft (MMORPG) has been a major one. Right now my obsessions are Asperger's/ASDs and WoW. Not long ago, it was photography, Asperger's/ADDs, and WoW all at the same time. ;)

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2009, 4:18 pm

f me it is wow, aspergers, diseases especially parasites and video game very fixed routine it took me ages to get out of it becaus I was literally awake 24 7 I still am now but i a more freedomous mood

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2009, 6:02 pm

I think that not being able to stop thinking about something is probably what one would refer to as an "obsession". It is probably just a bonus that you can switch and do something else while thinking about your games. Ya know? Some of us have a REALLY hard time between.... say... spending the afternoon reading about the best way to record electronic voice phenomenon and say.... doing the laundry and other chores. Incidentally, my family will have to spray Febreeze in their underpants because I, the designated laundry person, have chosen the former. Maybe they will be so excited that I can record all of the hidden "ghosts" in our house that they won't mind that they all have nothing clean to wear!! :wink:

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2009, 6:32 pm

I can't stop thinking about gaming so thats why its classed as my obsession, and clocks and biology hehe.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 5:39 am

^^ Yaye thankees everyone. I believe I feel much happier now. I believe I spend much greater amounts of time thinking of games as opposed to playing them. ^^ Also perhaps a reason that I have difficulty completing games is that I often create ideas within my head and use the games as magical playground, and if the game does not follow a set pattern that I have formulated in my head, or follows a pattern that I have identified and predict what may happen next, my happy brain attempts to find a new game in which my ideas may take place. ^^ However, such events do not take place within World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings Online I believe, alas I do often feel an instict to create new players and experiment with the differing classes.

^^ Oh dear, I also become rather addicted to watching Grand Slam tennis (I often become obssessed with following the progress those who have progressed very far within a tournament yet are ranked rather low, such as Robin Soderling within the recent French Open tournament and Zheng Jie last year within the Wimbledon tournamet when this appears on television and this appears sometimes to override my thinking of video games. Although this often only lasts until the tournament is complete. ^^ Thank you for your helpies everyone.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2009, 6:14 am

sbcmetroguy wrote:
My special interests come and go. Some last weeks, some months, and some even years. I've still got some of the same ones after 15+ years, no joke. But for the past 3 years or so, World of Warcraft (MMORPG) has been a major one. Right now my obsessions are Asperger's/ASDs and WoW. Not long ago, it was photography, Asperger's/ADDs, and WoW all at the same time. ;)

Mind if i have a moan?

I just wish i could play the WOW free trial but the game setup keeps crashing. You'd think they'd make these things so that they actually work!

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 7:38 am

Hello, Tomasu. I wondered about my special interest too when I was diagnosed and, like you, I'm very involved with video games (also World of Warcraft in particular). It's as other people have said, a special interest doesn't have to be unique or strange, it has to do with the intensity of that interest.

For example, I haven't played World of Warcraft in a little over a year but I'm still largely pre-occupied with it. I follow the changes, use character creation websites, remain up to date with the latest items, mess around with talent calculators and watch WoW machinima and PvP videos.

That constitutes as a special interest, even if it doesn't seem very 'special'.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 8:07 am

Lecks why dont you go back to playing it. And unless its every so often pogo I cant stand video games. Main reason I suck.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 8:12 am

thewrll wrote:
Lecks why dont you go back to playing it. And unless its every so often pogo I cant stand video games. Main reason I suck.

I made a promise I'd stop playing, so eventhough not playing it doesn't make me stop thinking about it I have to stick to my promise.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 8:34 am

Have you tried a different game that doesnt take as long to complete tasks?

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2009, 9:15 am

Hello, Tomasu. I wondered about my special interest too when I was diagnosed and, like you, I'm very involved with video games (also World of Warcraft in particular). It's as other people have said, a special interest doesn't have to be unique or strange, it has to do with the intensity of that interest.

For example, I haven't played World of Warcraft in a little over a year but I'm still largely pre-occupied with it. I follow the changes, use character creation websites, remain up to date with the latest items, mess around with talent calculators and watch WoW machinima and PvP videos

I do the same not been playing fo a month just becaue I akm crazy for my 3600 and tibia its another MMO which I have interest for. glad this is forming so tomorrow at my diagnosis I can really convery facts

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 3:13 pm

^^ Yaye, thank you very much for your help everyone. ^^ I am very sorry for not replying in a very long time. I have attempted to play Lord of the Rings Online yet have had happy difficulties accessing the same and not feel very tired (I also have happy examinations at University on Thursday, Monday and Tuesday). ^^ I believe your advice has been very helpful for me.