Annoying reflexive habits that anger your family?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 8:00 pm

Normally, I'd put this in the Haven, but the distress I'm feeling now is only minimal, so here goes.

Do any of you here have an annoying habit that, even though it annoys your family to death, you honestly can't stop yourself from doing it?

You see, because of a certain flash animation parody of "The Matrix", whenever I hear the Windows XP startup theme, I can't stop myself from saying "Hey, you fixed it." Well, it annoys the hell out of my brother, as he kicked me out of his room tonight when I said that, thinking I said it deliberately to get his goat. Now he feels that my coming over tonight was a waste of time, even after he cajoled me into doing so.

But it honestly wasn't my fault; it's just conditioning.

So, any examples from my WP.net family?

Usagi1992

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 8:13 pm

I have motion sensor eyes my family claim I cause others around me nervous like I'm an bio-sentry

Amarikah
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2009, 8:34 pm

I'm not sure of mine anymore. I know that I have them, but I can't spot them. Apparently, I can mesh in society well enough not to be utterly awkward, but I still haven't figured out my current quirks.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 8:40 pm

I have a couple of reflexive habits that annoy me, if no one else.

I have a couple of words that I say for no particular reason. They have nothing to do with anything going on at the time, they just pop into my head and out of my mouth. One is just an ordinary word (nothing crude, just fairly unusual in everyday speech), the other a name; both are words I picked up from television shows in the past. I suppose it's a sort of verbal tic. I usually say them softly enough that no one else hears me, but I worry that one day someone will and I'll have to try and explain what I said. :oops:

Every so often, I also repeat lines of dialog that I particularly like from videos and movies. It's not a conscious thing, and it's not something that happens all the time, but occasionally I just catch myself repeating the lines immediately upon hearing them. Sometimes I miss the next couple of lines because I'm repeating the ones I liked. (I seem to vaguely remember being shushed for this as a kid, but I'm not sure.) I've tried to look it up and I don't think it's the same thing as echolalia, but it's still annoying. It's not something I do purposely, but maybe something I started doing as a kid and just internalized.

Regards,

Patricia

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2009, 9:48 pm

i have several random things that "fall" out my mouth, the most common being "Oh s**t!! !" people have now stoped asking me what's wrong because the answer is allways nothing.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 11:10 pm

I have a beard-twisting stim that I usually only do it if I'm thinking hard or concentrating. It makes sort of a raspy sound, and it annoys my wife to no end when we're in the car (because there's no escaping it). She usually says, "Ooo... hold my hand," and grabs the hand that was doing the twisting.