Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2011, 9:57 am

So im not sure if this is a stimm or something elts but when im really exsited ill tence my hole body up for a little and then ill stop and go back to doing it (im not sure how long) But ill wake up in the night and my mucels in my body will hurt so bad i wish i could get something to help me stop doing this but apparently i never asked and im not sure what the doctors would think of something like this. But do you do this tence your hole body up? what is this? (sorry forgot to add: i can controle this but its hard to controle. and if my body wants me to do it i got to do it or it will hurt like hell worse ! so ill do it when its done its better but at night when i wake up my body feels hurt.

Last edited by XsamX on 22 Apr 2011, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 10:17 am

Could be a stim, could be a tic. The first one's voluntary-ish; the second one's mostly involuntary. I stim in a similar way, except it's individual muscles in patterns. I think many autistics learn to do this because it's one of the most surreptitious stims out there, and difficult to detect if you're not looking for it. But of course tics (involuntary movements) are not uncommon on the spectrum either; and the fact that you're doing this so often that it actually causes muscle soreness makes me think it might be one. If I were a doctor I would most likely wonder whether you might have a tic... if you had multiple tics, I might even wonder about Tourette's. But obviously I'm not a doctor and with the information I have, even if I were I couldn't say anything conclusively.

Should you see a doctor? Yes, if you feel this is a problem for you. The worst they can say is "We don't know how to treat that; here's some ibuprofen for the muscle soreness."

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2011, 10:24 am

Yeah i know im just waiting for a oppintment with my doctor. i wouldnt think its tic i added on because i forgot to put in i can controle this. But yeah i know i got to ask the doctor.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 10:44 am

yeah, i sometimes do this for stimming if i'm not in private; but i also use the tensing up to block input from even getting in (like when qeuing, i tense up my arm muscles so i dont feel other people scraping past them).