Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 5:11 pm

Well this week we've had Farrah Fawcett,Ed Machmaon,and NOW Michael Jackson but I feel no emotion and with the Jackson news I laughed not due to the death but that for 1+months YOU KNOW THERE WILL BE 100 DIFFERENT Retrospecitive/History of Michael Jackson SPECIALS SHEESH IMO!! !! Now I'm not evil heartless etc. I cried when Christopher Reeves died he WAS Superman!! ! Also Steve Irwin was shocking (I loved his shows) :-) Otherwise IMO Oh great we have to deal with 100+ STUPID HISTORY SPECIALS (Oh and will anyone care when Shigeru Miyamoto the creator of Mario and other HUGE games dies NO!! !! !! !!

Kasanova
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2009, 5:15 pm

I don't think so, no

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 5:24 pm

No. That's just sick. They were people too.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2009, 5:27 pm

Sometimes I laugh at the responses, like at the end of the film, 'Milk'(he was the mayor... or city supervisor or something, but still a celebrity) I could help but laugh(while crying at the same time) that all these people had came around in a giant march as such, probably from the fact someone could make such a big impact and then the person who lives next door(hypothetically) only has 1 or 2 people turn up when they die. I was thinking about all the 'Michael Jackson' stuff that would come up and probably all the controversy they'll try to hide(like they did with the death of Jade) and it seemed a bit funny to me, and I might have grinned, but I didn't laugh. I wouldn't be surprised if I did on another day.
EMZ=]

Trystania
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2009, 5:39 pm

If you're asking if I laugh because I find their death funny then no.
If you're asking if I have a little chuckle to myself in anticipation of all the hypocrites crawling out of the woodwork to praise them then yes! Sickening huh?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 5:53 pm

This is going to sound heartless, maybe, but I don't really care. All people die sooner or later. I don't personally know any of these people, and in no way does their insistence to keep on living (or not) affect my life.

Now if they had been an Irish musician, contra dancer, or some other person who I indirectly shared some deep passions with, then yes, I would be a little sad. If I knew them personally, I would be very sad.

Maybe this is why I really didn't care when princess diana died.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 5:57 pm

I laughed too. I don't know why, I don't find it funny, just inappropriate / wrong reaction I suppose. My mother says I only laugh when things hurt or die. But that isn't the only thing I feel, I always think "oh god, I'm going to die too one day". Which I guess is a bit selfish, but I don't know.

Ruchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2009, 5:57 pm

no not really there's no point at laughing when a celebrity dies

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:02 pm

Trystania wrote:
If you're asking if I laugh because I find their death funny then no.
If you're asking if I have a little chuckle to myself in anticipation of all the hypocrites crawling out of the woodwork to praise them then yes! Sickening huh?

I agree I don't laugh at the death just all the stupid History of shows based on that celebrity LOL!

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:02 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Well this week we've had Farrah Fawcett,Ed Machmaon,and NOW Michael Jackson but I feel no emotion and with the Jackson news I laughed not due to the death but that for 1+months YOU KNOW THERE WILL BE 100 DIFFERENT Retrospecitive/History of Michael Jackson SPECIALS SHEESH IMO!! !! Now I'm not evil heartless etc. I cried when Christopher Reeves died he WAS Superman!! ! Also Steve Irwin was shocking (I loved his shows) :-) Otherwise IMO Oh great we have to deal with 100+ STUPID HISTORY SPECIALS (Oh and will anyone care when Shigeru Miyamoto the creator of Mario and other HUGE games dies NO!! !! !! !!

Wow, I didn't know those people had died. I thought Ed McMahon had died years ago, but the others are a big surprise.

And no, I don't laugh. None of these individuals had any particular special place in my heart, but they were all special to someone. A few weeks ago I went to the IMdB message board of my favorite actor (special interest kind of thing) and some troll had written that he died. After about a second, it was clear that it was just a troll trying to get a rise out of people, but the instant I read the subject line, my heart felt like it jumped out of my chest, and I felt physically ill for a long time afterward. Even after I knew, for absolute certain, that it was not true, I was left with a feeling that pretty much ruined the afternoon for me, because I DO care a whole lot. He's not a celebrity of Michael Jackson magnitude, though; reasonably well-known, but not a household name. (Well, maybe he is. I have no idea what people talk about in their households.)

However, I'm not terribly surprised at your reaction, and the reason for it. It can be hard to see those big mega-celebrities as regular people, and you're right; there will be a 100 TV specials. I won't see any of them, or even know about any of them, because my TV only gets turned on when I watch a dvd. I'm sure there are many, many people saddened by the deaths of these individuals. When I die, there will be like four people at my funeral, because that's all I know.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:08 pm

I didn' t know any of those people had died, but no, I don't think it's funny when someone dies. Most people have someone who cared about them, and who will grieve their loss.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:10 pm

Do I laugh when a celebrity dies? I can, but it depends on the celebrity. I mean, this year, I was robbed of Patrick McGoohan, John Scott Martin, Dom DeLuise (who I thought was already dead), Phillip Jose Farmer (I haven't actually read any of his books, but still, he was a prolific sci-fi writer), and Chris O'Brien (I never knew who he was until I saw him on screen, days before his death which was, like Steve Irwin's, a tragic irony).

I haven't laughed, except maybe bitterly at the bitter irony of Dr O'Brien's death (he was an oncologist who died of brain cancer. Now that is bitter, tragic irony, poor bugger), and the fact that I had already thought DeLuise dead, and then was told that he died. That was laughter more at my expense, and that of life, than that of the deceased's.

That being said, I laughed at Michael Jackson's death. Not a lot, but I laughed once. The reason why? I thought him dead already. I was actually expecting this. He died when his career died, and that died quite a long time ago. His life (if you could call it that) had degenerated into a zombified farce since. That's why I did my patented Bones McCoy riff (which I use whenever someone dies in a movie or TV show I'm watching) of 'He's dead, Jim'. You might think it disrespectful of the dead, but frankly, MJ was dead already.

I feel sorry for poor Farrah Fawcett, though. She did not deserve to die like that.

On sabbatical...

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:33 pm

I don't laugh, but it really has no significance to me at all. I just keep that crap inside.

The only time I would feel really bad, is if it was someone who was a major influence to me, or who I was close to.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:49 pm

No.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:49 pm

I didn't laugh when I heard about Jackson's death but I was surprised. His plastic surgery nightmares are over now.
I have wondered why he elected to have so much surgery (even tho reasons are given I still wonder why someone would go that far).
His character flaws were so profound. They impacted other's lives and his life in such negative ways.
I view him pretty much as a disappointer and a deceptive sleazebag who let down the millions of people who bought his Thriller album making it the all time best seller.
He had them all fooled with his act.
I don't see why some people are still fooled and give him credit after knowing what he is.
I don't think he deserved to have a comeback or a career. He will probably get one now, posthumously, since the death of a celebrity generates a lot of publicity.
People will be buzzing about him for years now.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 25 Jun 2009, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:56 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I don't see why some people are still fooled and give him credit after knowing what he is.
I don't think he deserved to have a comeback or a career. He will probably get one now, posthumously, since the death of a celebrity brings a lot of publicity.

When Elvis kicked the bucket (while on the toilet, would you believe), more albums sold during the three days after his death than during his entire recording career. How many do you think Whacko Jacko'd sell now?

On sabbatical...