Page 4 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:25 pm

Erewhon wrote:
i agree Auntblabby. Very brave and many courage. I was'nt born in that time, my mother was even't born. What do you think you have done Auntblabby when you was August Landmesser in that specific time-place-moment :?: I know its a difficult question to answer.

likely enough I wouldn't have been there at that rally. I would have seen the danger ahead of time and either emigrated elsewhere or offed myself if I couldn't escape. hitler was known to be bad news from the days of the beer hall putsch and when he was elevated to chancellor in '32 that would have been a red flag. of course, that is knowing what I know now, if I was a typical german of the day with the typical german's access to news and education, I have no idea what would have happened. but I do suspect I would early on have been incarcerated and worse.

Debbiegirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2019, 9:45 pm

I always wanted to "fit in", but I never could. Even now in my middle-age years. After all these years I never understood all the little jokes and conventions "normal" people engaged in. Or sports. Or weddings. I was always an odd duck, and unfortunately my mom wanted me to be "like all the other girls". She always gave me the impression that I was a disappointment. She said she "wanted a real girl, not this dud". However, she never took me to a child psychologist to see if i could be helped. I am lucky one of my teachers made her take me to an optometrist to get my eyes tested - and yes, I got glasses which helped me actually see and then my grades did improve. I realize now that my mom was mentally disabled/mentally ill a bit (a lot!) herself. My dad was a narcissistic, mentally ill/ drunk - and he being a clergyman, was a high profile person in my community who everyone just "loved, loved, loved so much!" However, no one really liked me at all. I was left out of everything and kicked to the side. All of the wrong kinds of cards were dealt to me, but with my love of nature and art, and a strong work ethic, I have made my life reasonably okay - it took me five decades. An oddball is what I am and what I will always be.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 10:05 pm

Erewhon wrote:
August Landmesser

I have see the picture below in the past. At that time i did think that the photo was taken just a second before the arm from Landmesser get higher to greet the Führer. Later i did noticed that it was not. A way of nonconformity with a high risk.

It's of course not the same thing, but when I saw that picture I thought of how I felt at mandatory high school pep rallies. I hated them and had no "school spirit" and did not participate, instead, I sat there with my arms folded. The more everyone else seemed to act in unison and allegiance the more I felt like doing the opposite.

Last edited by Magna on 04 Feb 2019, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 10:35 pm

Debbiegirl wrote:
I always wanted to "fit in", but I never could. Even now in my middle-age years. After all these years I never understood all the little jokes and conventions "normal" people engaged in. Or sports. Or weddings. I was always an odd duck, and unfortunately my mom wanted me to be "like all the other girls". She always gave me the impression that I was a disappointment. She said she "wanted a real girl, not this dud". However, she never took me to a child psychologist to see if i could be helped. I am lucky one of my teachers made her take me to an optometrist to get my eyes tested - and yes, I got glasses which helped me actually see and then my grades did improve. I realize now that my mom was mentally disabled/mentally ill a bit (a lot!) herself. My dad was a narcissistic, mentally ill/ drunk - and he being a clergyman, was a high profile person in my community who everyone just "loved, loved, loved so much!" However, no one really liked me at all. I was left out of everything and kicked to the side. All of the wrong kinds of cards were dealt to me, but with my love of nature and art, and a strong work ethic, I have made my life reasonably okay - it took me five decades. An oddball is what I am and what I will always be.

glad to have you join our fun club 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 10:36 pm

Magna wrote:
Erewhon wrote:
August Landmesser

I have see the picture below in the past. At that time i did think that the photo was taken just a second before the arm from Landmesser get higher to greet the Führer. Later i did noticed that it was not. A way of nonconformity with a high risk.

It's of course not the same thing, but when I saw that picture I thought of how I felt at mandatory high school pep rallies. I hated them and had no "school spirit" and did not participate instead sitting there with my arms folded. The more everyone else seemed to act in unison and allegiance the more I felt like doing the opposite.

same here.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 8:01 am

Thanks for your reaction Auntblabby. Trying to imagine to stand in the shoes of another human in a time i wasnt even born is difficult. Sadly, nationalism and religion needs minds who think conform there rules, the conformity takes away the free thinking of minds. Also people who do not conform have no free will, but the product of there mind is more focus on the individu, and thats much beter in my view.
In the dutch city of Rotterdam there are on a high building the words in neon letters, "de meeste mensen zijn andere mensen" is the translation of a famous quote from Oscar Wild.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 6:18 am

how can one know for sure that their thoughts, any of them, are actually original?

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2019, 6:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
how can one know for sure that their thoughts, any of them, are actually original?

One cannot. But one can have a good idea of how common or publically advocated their thoughts are.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2019, 6:28 am

I don't know if many other people have thought the thoughts I have thought about various things outside of politics and culture.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 11:25 am

"Sticky Topics"

The walk of life i love to walk on a road that i have choose or made. I dont like to walk roads that other people have made, many time i have to but something in my mind dont likes that. I love to do it "My Way" as Frank Sinatra did sing many times. On this forum, and on many other forum there are topics who are made 'Sticky' . This website is not from me, so i have no problem that Alex Plank makes his website like he loves to do, included the topics who are made sticky.
I dont read the topics who are made sticky, i feel that some else is driving my car when i go read the sticky threads.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 3:50 pm

For those who dont speak dutch, it means something like:
Dont be afraid to be different, be afraid to be like everybody else :!:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 3:58 pm

I am something of a non-conformist because I was never in any of the middle school cliques and I never went for the types of things others consider entertainment. As I said in the "You May Be Austistic" post, while others watch the Netflix movie of the week, I watch videos of old Olympic Games marathons. I am non-conformist in that sense.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 4:09 pm

Debbiegirl,

I'm almost 55 myself and also a late bloomer. I had a good home life, but was bullied in school by the troublemakers of the school. I had some friends, but mostly spent time reading and studying. I regret I didn't begin doing things earlier that would help me socially and otherwise.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2019, 6:33 pm

I never did fit into the group mentality. I don't think I could maintain it if I tried.

Failing to conform is probably a major part of why I got picked on at school. On the positive side, it's also led to self development. So many people from my place of birth never once seem to question the values, traditions, and local culture of their immediate environment, and it stunts them greatly to be this way.

Thinking for yourself is hard and takes a lot of work, and that's not necessarily a bad thing :)

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 2:21 am

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2019, 7:57 am

I dont like football, i cant play football, and i even didnt even see one single game from the world champion ship.
The team from the USA did win that championship, and the team captain Megan Rapinoe is somebody i like very much. What a courage have this woman to dont conform the rules from 'blindness' Her statements against racism-apartheid-discrimination-gayphobia. When i see her way of being, my mind did go to August Landmesser. Somebody with also many courage, and dont conformity against the group of blindness. Megan Rapinoe and August Landmesser are not 100% clones, but i see a strong similarity.

on page 4 in this topic more about August Landmesser.